Hello everyone!

First, your wondering "OMG! MULTIACCOUNTS!" Not true, after a big-ass confusion fest in the Banned Pit. on LochieW, my brother approached me and said "WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU?! MY ACCOUNT ON UG JUST GOT BANNED FOR MULTI-LOGGING!" As I told him I had made an account on UG aswell, he swiftly kicked my arse. So, long story short. One account per a household, so here I am!

But after reading issue #54 of Australian Guitar, I've recently been inspired in pedal building, due to the fact they tested the BYOC line, a kit with everything you need to build your own pedal! It seems that any guitar-slinging kid with **** for brains could do this, and hell. That's me! But the problem is, I don't know where to start.

I visited Ormsbyguitars.com earlier today and couldn't find the BYOC line ANYWHERE. (Pfft, I'm probably just lazy.) I reliased that I should post a thread on UG and ask the kind people here to help me out, so let's get down to the need-to-know area.

• I Know **** all about eletronics, I mean **** GOD DAMN ALL.
  • It would be interesting to build a pedal from a simple little kit with instructions.
  • I'm serious, I don't know anything about eletronics. That's why pedal building would be cool, as I would learn about them.
  • Could everyone list a few websites where I could buy the materials needed to build Pedals (Pref. Aus sites only, as America is a rip-off)
  • Also list sites with guides that even an idiot could understand about eletronics.

Thanks everyone,

~Lochie.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
What's wrong with his attitude? And I take it that he wants pretty much anything that's easy to build, cause he wants to build it for the building and experience itself, pretty much.
heres some stuff for beginners that you might want to read through before starting out. it also has a link to a soldering guide that you will want to read if you have never soldered before. i would read that and try to read through at least one other soldering guide before you start, just so you know what you are doing. then do some practice on some spare wire so you get the idea down.

here is one site that has some schematics you can look at. the list is on the left and things expand as you click on them. this is another site that has schematics, and these are labeled by difficulty. obviously you would want one that is labeled for beginners to start with. as for the project i started with, you can find it here. some nice info there as well. look through those sites and some stuff in the stickies to find out more.
first of all, not any idiot with **** for braings could do it, simple stuff like fuzz's yes, but when you get into what kerry and christian do, and making your own and stuff, it becomes much harder.

right, first thing you should do is read through as many threads/articles as you can al over the web on pedal building, then decide what you want to build, and then lok for parts sites, if you need help with those specific points then ask, dont ask us to do all the leg work for you, did you check the stickies? did you search?
Stickies.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Thanks dudes, sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post, I'm looking and searching as we speak and I'll post back with some info I've found.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
cause i can do that
K, find some stuff that interests you, and we'd be happy to help!
Now, finally I found it.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/bender.html

It's a fuzz that come's with all the parts, all I need to do is a buy a soldering Iron. Has anyone ever used BYOC's before? Are they reliable.

I'm still looking in at buying my own part's and everything and building a pedal with just schematics.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
cause i can do that
I've built that pedal 3 times. Not the BYOC pedal, but the same thing from independant parts.
The kits seem good in terms of quality and all...the thing that gets to me is the price. 75 bucks? No thanks. You could get it together without the kit for no more than 30 easily. This is just my opinion though. There are plenty of layouts on the internet available free so you can perfboard the same pedal without much hassle. I've perfed this pedal once, veroboarded it once, and also PCB built it once. It's pretty simple to perf or vero, and ther are premade layouts.
Do you think you could gimme a list of the parts you used Pink? Even though it's pricey, I might just buy it to save myself the horror of Dick Smith (We ain't got Radioshack in Oz) salesmen who will try to sell me like ten computers aswell.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
cause i can do that
^Radioshack is ghastly btw. Replace 10 computers with 10 cellphones, and you have Ratshack to a tee.

Find a schematic, and look at the parts.
If you do the preliminary work, I'll double check it.
I've found several schematic's, I'll list them:

Red Fuzz:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/red_fuzz_sc.gif

Then theres also the Muff Fuzz:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/muffsc.gif

But those might be abit to hard (Hell, who am I too say. Tell me if it would be abit too hard)

After searching Tonepad I found a Brian May Treble Booster I remember seeing you build;

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=83

The parts are there,

The second last thing I might build as my first pedal would be the simpe A/B Pedal, as I do need one; it'd be a hella handy.

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=107

Heres the last one, this little Bass Fuzz looks simple;

http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

It's acctually the one Jof posted earlier.
      Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
      there was once this girl
      in my school
      and she was like
      'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
      omgelitist
      'fawkofffffffffff'
      cause i can do that
      The Bazz Fuzz is a good easy project. I built a Rangemaster booster for my first one, it's great if you have a tube amp.
      I'm pretty sure this is what you were looking for.
      "Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
      Hell, I know I'm getting kicked in the nuts by price. But I'd rather not buy all the wrong parts, put it together and then just hear a sound worser then a wet fart come out. Keep in mind they are retail. Luckily today I picked up Guitarist Australia, (Another Oz guitar Magazine) And its got a nice ol' guide on soldering, so I'm a tinsy bit more confident with it.

I've brought my selection down to just 2;

The Tremolo Clone:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/trem.html

And The Bazz Fuss:

http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

I'm leaning more towards the Tremolo right now, expensive, yes! But it would give me some expierience.

Feel free to leave your suggestions as what I should go with,

But tomorrow I'll have my final decision.
      Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
      there was once this girl
      in my school
      and she was like
      'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
      omgelitist
      'fawkofffffffffff'
      cause i can do that
      Last edited by CoolDudeMorgasm at Sep 28, 2006,
      The trem will give you "experience" in soldering, but not really improve your knowledge of pedals.
      The Bazz Fuss is a nice simple pedal you will be able to understand.
      Build a Bazz Fuss and spend some time reading about how it works.
      That way you get more benefit than just a pedal.