well i've quit my rock band as its **** and noone wants to play the same stuff, and i've gotten back into COB, megadeth, A7X, some metallica, iron maiden, black sabbath, and some pantera and slayer... stuff like that

I've been playing for 2 years and i know its going to take me a fair bit of time to get the solo's down to all them songs, which is the main issue. I can play the hole of iron man, enter sandman, most of MOP, rebell yell cover by COB and the majority of a few megadeth songs...

what i wanna know is where do i start... i am still working on my speed, and i want to get my practice up more as i've been a bit slack this last month or so due to other commitments... i'm thinking off getting guitar lessons off another guy maybe as he has alot of expirience in this field... but my guitar teacher has caught on and is going to maybe ring around and get us some decent resources to start the journey... boring stuff to play isnt my cup of tea.... like grinspoon arctic monkeys.. all that stuff isnt my cup of tea and is what everyone else loves around me....

Me and my current teacher are going to start using electrics to give us a bit more of an edge.... anyone got any suggestions or storys that mite make me more inspired and focuses, or song reccomendations....

oh i can play alot more songs.. but thats all that kinda came to mind in that sort of above piss easy in this field...
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
Learn some scales and learn to improvise solos and such. You'd impress more people by making a solo right out of your head, rather than playing a solo written by someone else.
Sent from my iPad.
Ask your teacher about music theory, as the guy said above, even knowing 1-2 scales can be you're biggest weapon in improvising, I remember, my crap friend could always own me at solo dauls, because he had theory down, now he dosn't really stand a chance.
i do that most of the time, what scales apart from minor penatonic and ****? coz hmmm to bluesy for my liking... i'd still want to be able to play some good songs for the day i find a decent band....
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
i know my theory quite well for a grade nine, how to get minor, major, hminor, m.minor... i'm alright with chords, still learning how to build some of them... key signatures and how to get em... changing chords into different major minor etc.... um i've taken a break from my site reading from manuscript.... yeah.... me and my teacher go through bits of theory here and there in lessons and he often test me and get me to work something from another note or whatever by myself to show i know what hes on about... he knows his ****... i'm still learning
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
learn the minor scale (diatonic) and stick it in the particular key of the song, and improvise . and unless your playing fast ( i hope you dont play fast the entire solo or your solos will suck) the diatonic notes should only be played behind the root notes. and you need to use minor pentatonics when not doing runs and speed picking, etc. you dont want bore the hell outta people just picking lightning fast the whole time.
yeah i know that, my idea of playing metal and fast isnt really the same as malmstreem's (sp?) and i know exactly the hole thing about playing as fast as ya can n it soundin ****... and playing the same scale and not moving around as some people at school who think 'who needs theory'.... iron maiden pwns grinspoon is what i tell em lol...

yeah so any easier songs..? and minor diatonic hey.. i'll look in my books for that one

i have some goals to be able to play the majority of the stuff from those bands up there one day... i wanna know how i get to it, and yeah exactly i'm more interested in playing my own stuff but i still want to have alot of songs behind me and that...
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
anyone else...?
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Quote by that1l)ude
learn the minor scale (diatonic) and stick it in the particular key of the song, and improvise . and unless your playing fast ( i hope you dont play fast the entire solo or your solos will suck) the diatonic notes should only be played behind the root notes. and you need to use minor pentatonics when not doing runs and speed picking, etc. you dont want bore the hell outta people just picking lightning fast the whole time.

Damn! There really should be a nonsense filter around here, because that is
mostly a bunch of nonsense. Sorry. But, I don't think anyone should be following
that advice.

So, where to start? Ask yourself what kind of player you want to be. Then
work backwards to the steps you can take right now to get there. Don't expect
it to happen overnight.

If you want to be an improvisor, a good place to start is blues. You can start
off simple (just pentatonic) or go quite deep and complex. Rock has its roots in
blues. Any decent rock player can pull off blues improv. It's pretty key to know.
If you get together to jam with people you've never played with, a blues jam
is generally the first thing everyone will come together on. If you can't do blues,
you won't be taken very seriously.