Hey guys,
i have a cheap mexican style strat that i've dissassembled. i'm going to repaint it, make it fretless, refinish the neck possibly, and the thing i'm still on the wall about is sanind down the heel about a quarter inch.
I know that i would have to get shorter bolts so they don't go through the fingerboard but i'm curious if this will hold the neck or not. It's about a two inch heel, and i want to sand it 1/4 to 1/2 an inch down. How much sanding would make a difference in the upper fret acces without sacrificing the whole guitar possible breaking.
P.s. I'm sanding the Actual body heel not the neck's heel.
It'll be fine. It's not really about taking wood off though, it's more about making the heel comfortable in the palm of your hand.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Should be fine as long as you don't take more than about 15mm off the bottom corner. You only really need to take wood off the bottom corner so that its a little easier to access the higher frets- its pretty pointless to take much off the top corner. Take a look at some of Ibanez' bolt-on necks as a guide, if you're unsure
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile