Hey, fellas, I have money saved up from my summer job, and was considering possibly upgrading my amp sometime within the next year for better overall tone. Right now I own a Line 6 Spider 112. It seemed a good idea at the time (... ), but I'm not as excited about it as I was when I first got it. Basically, what I want is an amp that can get better distortion, but still have a nice clean channel. I'm interested in the Peavey 6505 Plus because it supposedly has better clean (and because everyone here raves about it ), but I wouldn't want to dump $1k or more just for a little boost to tone. I don't gig now, nor am I in a band, but I also would not want to buy an amp that would hinder me in the future if I was to join a band and start gigging ('tis why I was considering the Peavey).

Things to consider:
-I play mostly metal/metalcore (Children of Bodom, Trivium, A7X, Metallica, etc.)
-Would want to also be able to play softer stuff (classical, classic rock, etc.)
-Budget: Could afford the Peavey
-Would like an amp that I could stick with for a LONG time (meaning I don't want to have to upgrade AGAIN, at least not for several years)

Thanks, guys. I appreciate any help or suggestions you can offer.
The Peavey would do well. Might not get you the classic rock or softer tones you're looking for as well as another amp might. You should also keep your eyes open for a good used Mesa/Boogie combo amp (new ones are a bit out of your price range with only $1,000 to spend) - Rectoverb, Tremoverb, or Mark series would be your best bet.
Hi, I'm Peter
Wouldn't a head/cabinet setup be a better investment than a combo though? And the soft/classic rock tones aren't as integral as the metal tones (meaning I'd rather sacrifice some of those tones than I would the metal tone -- just not all of it).
Quote by JuicyMango
Wouldn't a head/cabinet setup be a better investment than a combo though? And the soft/classic rock tones aren't as integral as the metal tones (meaning I'd rather sacrifice some of those tones than I would the metal tone -- just not all of it).

in the long term if u had cash a stack'd be betta, however if your not loaded then go get a combo and u can always add a cab to it.
Marty
I could get a half-stack by buying the head now, and then either saving up for the cab or getting my dad to loan me some cash and then pay it off. I'd rather get the setup that'll get me the farthest in the long run.
would you use your spider as the cab? :S i guess it could do the trick...

oh yer and if you do feel like widening your options, look at the laney GH series .. they're gain monsters by the manufacturer who made the first metal band (black sabbath) amp.
Marty