Okay, so I stupidly didn't choose music GCSE, but I want to do it at A-level. I've got the rest of the year to get myself up to scratch, I'm confident I'm at a good enough standard, but to do A-level without GCSE I need to show the head of music a piece. It needs to be about grade 5 and 2-3 minutes long - but i only have tonight to learn/perfect it - here are some songs i can play almost perfectly:

The Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Love/Love is only a feeling
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze/Hey Joe
Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine/Knocking On Heaven's Door

Maybe a few other hendrix/GnR songs, I could do some chili peppers maybe (please dont say under the bridge!), or a completely different song thats learnable in about 3 hours.

It needs to get me to be able to do A-level - this is really important
Wrong forum, got to Musicians Talk.

Despite that, your teacher would probably be more impressed if you did some song, but then threw in some improv, tapping is a favourite and very simple tapping with barre chords is required for grade 6, so if you do some tasteful stuff to suit the song, you're clear.
dude dont u hav to play the classical guitar for this?
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
just do a rock school grade 5 theyre easy to do. if u want to do probably the best onedo mud pie its a bluesy one.
Mabe try learing a piece like beetovens(sp) 5th that will be original and you can easily thow in some imrovisation

other than that i like knockin on heavens door.
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Sweet child o' mine is a killer and always will be...Your guaranteed to impress him! Great song with both easy and very skillful parts. If only I could play all....
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
This is a good thread im doing my standerd grades and im wondering what songs to do im leaning toward sweet child but i can get the solo any help on tht?
Whats this grade 5, grade 6 and all that **** you guys are talking about? Is there some universal grades, if you can play that and that, you're that and that grade? Wtf??!! Is it some kind of one of a kind learning system which is only existant in the US?? WTF??!
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
It's in the UK, but i think the grades are universal in that universities/whatever in places like the US recognise those grades.
Quote by refgerto
Whats this grade 5, grade 6 and all that **** you guys are talking about? Is there some universal grades, if you can play that and that, you're that and that grade? Wtf??!! Is it some kind of one of a kind learning system which is only existant in the US?? WTF??!

The grades being talked about are the Registary of Guitar Tutor (RGT) grading system, which is common in the Uk (although it is international). Part of the problem with tecahing guitar is that there is no recognised levels of competancy, such as you get with Piano, etc, etc so the RGT system will hopefully sort this out.

If you are interested in looking into the curriculum or finding an RGT tutor in your area then visit http://www.registryofguitartutors.co.uk/