hey everyone, ive been trying to build a small (very small) project studio and i was wondering your opinions on this setup:

Mics:
Shure sm57
Shure sm58
Two cheap dynamic mics
I would slowly collect more mics

Mixer:
Peavy PV-14 (with digital effects) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV14-Mixer?sku=631369

Recorder:
Boss Br-600 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-BR600-Digital-Recorder?sku=241151

I would mic the amps and other instruments and send them to the mixer. then id use 2 of the outs on the mixer and send them to the two mic inputs of the recorder for a stereo mix. then id send the tracks from the boss br-600 to my computer via usb and edit them using some software (not positive which one yet. right now i have audacity.)

Im not sure on what type of monitors to use so if you have any in mind id love to hear. (i have a $200 budget for monitors though.)

The reason why i want a larger mixer is so that when i record with my band(s) we can mic the drums better (the bassist has a bunch of decent mics that we'd use.)

thanks
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
i personally wouldnt get the recorder thingy. $400 and basicly all you are using it for is to get your mixer outs to your computer? i dont really think thats worth it, but thats because i dont really see any other use for that thing if you are going to computer anyway. instead i would get either a nice 2 channel firewire interface (or USB if you dont have firewire). you could get a good one for much less than $400, allowing more money for better condensors or something.

or what i personally would do is get a different mixer and a good soundcard. a mixer like this has an out for each channel. running that into something like this would give you more flexibility. that thing has way more inputs, basicly allowing you to run almost every channel from your mixer into its own input, aside from having 2 mic preamps. spend some money on a decent recording program and you can do some great editing on each separate track, instead of just on a stereo track.

obviously both/all ways have their advantages and disadvantages. check into each way of doing things to see what you thing would work best for you. obviously the computer becomes an integral part of the equation when you arent using that stand alone recorder, and the second option i listed requires a better computer. just spend a bit of time looking into it before you make your decision and youll be better off.
awesome, thanks a bunch for the advice. i completely overlooked firewire.

Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.

^ yeah, firewire is good. its supposed to be much better for recording than USB, less latency or something. my stupid laptop doesnt have a firewire port so i havent tried any firewire stuff out tho, but it is accepted to be better.
Why not record in real-time? Plug your mics into your mixer, plug into your puter through the line in, and hit 'record' on the computer software. F*ck USB and firewire. Don't think it will work? check out my song 'Brianna' on my myspace page. It was recorded ENTIRELY in this manner (albeit I have a 24 channel studio console and better mics), and I even ran a 17 peice drum kit and mixed it down to two stereo tracks BEFORE it even got recorded. The trick is to get a good flat track, and edit the sh!t out of it. Your recording is only going to be as good as your mixer/editor is, so get some firsthand knowledge of recording, too.

Here is that track: www.myspace.com/sonicmessiah
^ the problem with that is running in to the line in on a bad soundcard. you lose a lot of the quality you gain from nice mics and mixers if you run in through a bad soundcard. i can usually tell when i run line in compared to when i run into my interface, the sound quality running straight in just isnt as good. thats why you get the usb or firewire thing, to keep the quality.
Quote by j_db69
jof1029 why don't look into something like this? Just make sure that it is a 6-in and that it provides power. People have a lot of problems with some firewire devices when you have to use a seperate power supply. I know some people had problems with the 4 pin adapter with the Inspire..

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=1005-0009-000B&cat=CCD

its not really worth it now, cause my setup is fine for now. i dont need anything more than what i have until maybe the summer, at which time ill be getting a nice soundcard anyway. that thing does look pretty good tho, ill keep that in mind if i need anything firewire. thanks
if you get a good mixer you won't need much else,that particular mixer looks ok but i would look for an outboard mic pre-amp (a good one)

if you get the PSI soundcard it doesn't look like you would need a mixer,18 inputs...i didn't look over the whole thing though
all i was going to do was do the actual recording on the br-600 then transfer tracks/ or a mix to the computer for cd burning and more enhanced editing. the recording will be in real time, just on the br-600. the computer doesnt come in until after ive actualy recorded
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant