So I know that you all hate how John Mayer is in the blues and jazz section, but I'd rather have it here than in the pit. Also, I will give you guys something to argue about. Now, what did you guys think of John Mayers new cd? I bought it and I thought it was amazing. Truly amazing for the musical content and passion he has. The songs like 'Slow Dancing in a Burning Room' is amazing if you really listen deep to what he is saying. Most songs on this cd are wicked good. Yes, this cd is slower than his other stuff, but its still amazing. So what did you guys think, and if you havent bought the cd yet, do you think you will? Thanks,

Justin.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I think the quote in your sig. aptly describes how I, and most other people on this forum feel about John Mayer, his music, and people who think he is classified under 'Blues & Jazz'.

Good day.
Quote by justin_fraser
So I know that you all hate how John Mayer is in the blues and jazz section, but I'd rather have it here than in the pit.

Probably best to put it in 'Other'. We're all sick of John Mayer threads in here really.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
i really am pissed off with all this anti john mayer stuff. i did point out in a thread some time back that he maybe isn't a jazz or blues player so maybe doesn't belong here. but then was hendrix, and nobody seems to mind hendrix threads in this forum.

i just wish i could play anywhere near as good as mayer.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
i heard bits and peices of it
pretty cool
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
I think that his new cd is amazing. The lyrics to the songs are powerful and his talent with a guitar is just nuts. I saw him in chicago 9/9/06 and he is an amazing entertainer.
i am a huge fan of all of mayer's material...but even so this CD shines from the rest...its a true damn good album with a mix of old & new, im sorry its not the traditional music that would go in this forum...but without change where would be now, it is a DAMN good album
I listened to some of it and what I heard was quite good, even the cover of Axis Bold as Love.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
I've been a huge fan of John since the very first time I heard "Why Georgia", right after "Room For Squares" came out. In fact, I'm watching Any Given Thursday on DVD right now. Haha. I'm very addicted to "Continuum". I listen to it all the time. Love it.
Do I have to fall asleep
with roses in my hand?
Quote by hitzphillygirl
I've been a huge fan of John since the very first time I heard "Why Georgia", right after "Room For Squares" came out. In fact, I'm watching Any Given Thursday on DVD right now. Haha. I'm very addicted to "Continuum". I listen to it all the time. Love it.

i can say the same, minus the fact im not watchin the DVD but i could listen to the CD
i find continuum deeply disappointing. it's poppy and shallow, i understood that he was going to take a new harder blues direction and this is anything but that.

try! was brilliant but this doesn't do it for me.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Poppy? I definitely disagree. "Room For Squares" and "Heavier Things" were far more poppy than the new album.
Do I have to fall asleep
with roses in my hand?
^ Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that Continuum is also pop. It's just a slightly different form of pop than his other albums. Don't care for the new album.
Quote by dr_john
i find continuum deeply disappointing. it's poppy and shallow, i understood that he was going to take a new harder blues direction and this is anything but that.

try! was brilliant but this doesn't do it for me.

I agree. (I wouldn't call Try! brilliant, but i thought it was good )

I was expecting a more bluesy album, as well. Don't get me wrong, i don't think it's a terrible album. It has good songs. Just not good blues songs. And that's what i was hoping for out of him.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
John will always have some pop in his songs. That's just the type of music that he makes. Out of all three albums, I'm not sure which one is my favorite... but I can't say that I've listened to the other two when they were new as much as I'm listening to "Continuum" now. So, this may be my favorite. (Listening to it right now, actually.)
Do I have to fall asleep
with roses in my hand?
I really think john is becoming a good songwriter. This album is so deep compared to his previous two solo ones. I think he's starting to come out of his shell. Some good solos on it too. I really digged the lyrics.
UG Blues Mafia
Founding Members: Forklifterer, Steve Cropper, Crzyrckgtrst28, and TNfootballfan62
PM one of us for membership opportunities.

www.ultimateblues.cjb.net
Forumers Needed.
"Slow Dancing In a Burning Room" is probably about to become one of my favorite songs of all times. It just gives me chills, and most of all, I can relate to it. Same goes for "Dreaming With a Broken Heart".

Ugh. Amazing-ness. "Do I have to fall asleep with roses in my hand..."
Do I have to fall asleep
with roses in my hand?
Quote by hitzphillygirl
"Slow Dancing In a Burning Room" is probably about to become one of my favorite songs of all times. It just gives me chills, and most of all, I can relate to it. Same goes for "Dreaming With a Broken Heart".

Ugh. Amazing-ness. "Do I have to fall asleep with roses in my hand..."

Oh ya know, those are my favorite songs to. Just give you chills down your spine eh.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
^^amen...every time i hear them which is like 4x a day...i get that feeling, that feeling is what its all about...anybody who hasnt bought this album, should really get it now
I love the whole CD.

Gravity
Vultures
Heart of Life
Bold As Love

I've played those songs to death. I wish he woulda went completley blues, but hey, I'm happy with this album, its great.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Last edited by Just_a_picker at Oct 3, 2006,
Indeed Contiumm is a great album, I love jaming to his songs and learning them. However at my current skill level i cant even handle some of the solos he does. A very frustrating matter actually, well for me at least. But once i do perfect them i'll be that much closer to greatness.
Does anyone have a tab for Bold as Love.

I'm dying to learn it