ive been playing guitar for about 7 months and everything i have learned has been selftaught
my progress hasnt been bad but i know there are enough places that i need improvement on
i was wondering everybody's thoughts on whether i should take lessons or if i should continue teaching myself
will taking lessons increase my rate of progress....and are lessons worth the money?
im asking this cuz id rather not waste the money on unneeded lessons
thanks
ive been playing for about a year and a half and i havnt had a single lesson and im doing pretty well. i personally dont think lessons are worth it because all my friends that are taking lessons suck because they have to go through all the worthless crap. but create your own practice schedule and play what you like and you'll be fine
Lessons will always help. People that don't get a better understanding or have better technique after getting lessons, haven't spent the time finding the right teacher. Read Tom Hess's article about finding the right teacher, it's very good.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
ther have been alot of times i thought i didtn need lessons.i thought i knew everything there is to kno but them something totally new comes up.. just asking questions from an experienced guitar player has increased my playing incredibly...asking about tapping and barre chords and sweeping and bend taps and scales and soloing and everything..it has sped up my playing abilities dramatically.. and it all has helped and u cant learn that all on websites, so i would definetly encourage taking lessons. and u can always stop getting lessons if u have a bad teacher, so theres nothing really to lose
Depends.

In lessons you do a lot of scales and styles of music, and learn some of the finer points to theory, BUT, this is all stuff you can do on your own if you have the motivation.

I am not great, but I can play what I want to and I am self taught because I don't want to know scales, I play chords around the campfire!
get lessons, if you dont understand something on the tabs on here, take it to a guitar teacher and that way you can see it being played
yeah I got lessons after being self taught for a while. You just advance faster and it's worth the money most of the time if the teacher is good and knows what he's talking about.
I taught myself for the first year and a half and started taking lessons and it made a world of difference. The teacher can help you see theory relationships that you might not pick up on your own, or pick up as fast. Plus the teacher can always answer any questions you have. It won't necessarily speed your fingers up, that takes time but it will improve you overall, theory wise and also spotting flaws in your developing technique.
Currently I do both.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
well, ive been playing for about 4 or 5 months now. all self taught. so far im finding im still improving nicely and i think progressing quickly. ive talked to a few people i know who play, about lessons. and they said they are mostly a waste of time, but also depends on the teacher. "unless you care how to play ode to joy on your guitar.." teach yourself. lol, ive been told that a few times.

you wanna play guitar, cuz you wanna be able to play the stuff you listen to, and possibly entertain people. theres plenty of stuff on this site, and the net that will tell you how to do just that.

the only thing i can think you would miss by not having a teacher is being able to visually see how something is played. but with youtube..you can search most songs and someone has a video of them playing it..so there ya go.
here's the thing:

having a teacher can work wonders, there are probably small things that are screwing up your playing and you dont even know it, teachers have a lot of students, they'll be able to remedy some of these flaws that can eventually handicap your playing if untreated. however, it's still VERY possible to make progress being self-taught, but if you choose this route, start making friends with musicians, watch them play, ask them questions, etc.
I would reccomend getting lessons if you want to know music theory. And I would reccommend knowing music theory because it helps you understand what you are doing better. But if you just want to learn basic songs from tabs then you probably don't need them
I'm self taught on the guitar, but school & college with music.

Finding a teacher is a good idea.. but most of the teachers round here wouldn't know correct technique if it hit them in the balls and fucked their sister - so you have to be careful when you're picking a teacher.

Even if you don't learn anything valuable in terms of what you're looking for, you've still got experience of playing with other people.

If you get lessons, you've got another option - you've got the insight of someone who has been there and done that and should know the ropes.. you've got the internet, books and yourself to apply or challenge the methods he teaches if you don't feel they're working.

Either way, there's no harm in giving lessons a try aslong as you trust your teachers methods - what I did was read, read and read.. countless books and all the teaching methods, psychological methods, philosophies and esoteric approaches available to me, and I couldn't really learn anymore from a teacher that I don't already know.

If you find the right teacher, you're going to progress as a result of your teachers knowledge and experience, but if you happen to find the wrong one.. you're going straight to mediocrity.

It's a lot broader than 'Will a teacher help me?'.
Yea but find a good teacher. Personally, I like taking lessons. I never had someone to talk about music to. >_> And it's a lot more fun than doing everything by yourself.
Yea like I said lessons are incredible. Even if he is teaching you "Ode to Joy" its with good reason(usually helping with sight playing). If I actually come to think about it it kinda depends on what you want to do with guitar. If you really are serious of the instrument you should do it (not to say self taught's can't be just as serious). If its something you just would like to do as a little past time or something probably not. I'm slightly biased towards lessons because I'm obsessed. But it really depends I guess. But of course I'm gonna say, DO IT.
ive been playing for less then a year now (ive never had a lession)
and i can play RHCP (red hot chili peppers for the retarded peopl), korn, rammstein, and metallica

it depends on how much of the musical crap on tabs or sheet music u no and HOURS OF PRACTICE
Most of those songs by those bands are not very hard to play. Plus I would hope people would want to become good musicians, not just a good guitar player playing other peoples music. You'll need to know some theory and a lot of technique to become a good musician, teachers help A LOT in this category.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
It depends where you want to go with the guitar, if you want to play tabs for the rest of your guitar career then knock yourself out.

PS:
Quote by skfanaav
i can play RHCP (red hot chili peppers for the retarded peopl)

Sigged.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I've never had a lesson, and my mum says I'm good

(EDIT: That's 'mom', for all the Americans out there.)
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Lessons are worht it if you get a good teacher. Unlike my last one. He taught scales but not how to apply them to making music.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by AznElliot518
It depends where you want to go with the guitar, if you want to play tabs for the rest of your guitar career then knock yourself out.

PS:

Sigged.

dont i feel special
I have been playin guitar for about 2 1/2 months now, self taught. I think im doing pretty good, I'm playing songs like Blackbird (beatles) and Wish you Were Here (pink floyd) almost perfectly. I just taught myself how to read tab and started learning songs. I'm sure that lessons can help with your technique and all that crap, but I thought teaching myself was fun... Therefore i think playing guitar selftaught is a good thing..
Quote by mr.shred
ive been playing for about a year and a half and i havnt had a single lesson and im doing pretty well. i personally dont think lessons are worth it because all my friends that are taking lessons suck because they have to go through all the worthless crap. but create your own practice schedule and play what you like and you'll be fine

I find it funny that you have been playing a year and a half and your name is Mr. Shred...you can title yourself that after at least 5 years of lesssons. I guarantee you know nothing about music that the people with lessons do, and that they will catch up to you in about 6 months and you'll be like, I wish i weren't so ignorant.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio