Poll: Do you have a pen pal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you have a pen pal?
I do indeed!
9 7%
I do not, sir.
38 28%
I don't, but I'd like to.
35 26%
No, and it's staying that way.
53 39%
Voters: 135.
Page 1 of 3
Do any of you have pen pals? If so, tell us about them (their country, how you came into contact etc). Share any pleasurable/horrendous experiences you've had with pen pals.

Personally, I've never had a pen pal, but I'd love to now. I've felt very lonely as of late, so as well as giving me some social stimulation, I could also (hopefully) learn about another country and its culture, as well as receive help on learning their language.

I'd love to have pen pals from all over the world, what countries would you like them from? Also, if any one is willing, I'd greatly enjoy sharing letters.

(By the way, if any of you remember me, and remember me saying I had left UG for good, I assure you this is a one-off occurrence. I think I'll go bloody mad if I don't have some one to talk to).
You're back!
And no, I've never had a pen pal. The thought creeps me out a little bit. I don't need it either since I'm in an international school and people are from all around the world.
"Gear":
1980s Copy of Les Paul [unknown brand]
1980s Acoustic [unknown brand]
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Moonrock
DIY Tubescreamer TS808
Carlsbro Kickstart 25 amp

Fight Ignorance --> www.erowid.org

My Tube Screamer Build
nah, i dont have one. I dont have the dedication to keep up the converse with them I don't think. Too much exam crap and stress and that, it just wont get done.

(to threadstarter- Cheer up! you've always got UG and myspace to make friends )
I'll be your Pen pal. Despite living in hartlepool, about 20 mins drive from you hehe
Zomg it's Robbie!!!

I had a pen pal in like grade 6. I don't remember anything about him though.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
I don't have a pen pal cause I'm too lazy, but I have a few (okay, one) friend from America I keep in contact with through messages over Myspace. Do it's kinda the same. Just using better technology.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by samuwel
I'll be your Pen pal. Despite living in hartlepool, about 20 mins drive from you hehe

Omfg teh coolness i also live in hartlepool when not at uni!!!
Taste the whip! Castlevania away!

Quote by trouble37
My best friend wrote my girlfriend a note that i found in her purse, it said sorry for popping your cherry, what does that mean?????

Quote by METAL HED 89
u cant evne spel metlaica ure not a realy fan

Quote by tenchi
Omfg teh coolness i also live in hartlepool when not at uni!!!

haha funky. its such a ****hole haha
I think a pen-pal who speaks a different language would be quite cool. Not cool like Fonzie, but cool like Einstein.

I remember I had a pen pal and he sent me a letter. The spelling was fucking terrible so I didnt write back.
Quote by samuwel
haha funky. its such a ****hole haha

Yes, yes indeed it is. I went to Eldon grove, High Tunstall (Tunny) then brinky 6th Form, then the art College. How bout you matey?

And to be relevant, in a way we are all pen pals here, so
Taste the whip! Castlevania away!

Quote by trouble37
My best friend wrote my girlfriend a note that i found in her purse, it said sorry for popping your cherry, what does that mean?????

Quote by METAL HED 89
u cant evne spel metlaica ure not a realy fan

ah cool. I started off at fens (best school in the town at that time. only coz i was there tho.) n then i went to school out of town, in norton. and i just started at english martyrs 6th form this year
robbie?

robbie???

is that you?

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
robbie?

robbie???

is that you?

I've missed you.

I placed a pen pal advertisement on a website and I've received a couple of replies. Whether or not they'll lead to the actual sending of letters or not I'm not sure though. I'm hoping my local post office will allow letters to be sent to them and then allow me to collect them, rather than them being sent straight to my house. I don't feel too comfortable giving a stranger my address.
Quote by Robbie n strat
Do any of you have pen pals? If so, tell us about them (their country, how you came into contact etc). Share any pleasurable/horrendous experiences you've had with pen pals.

Personally, I've never had a pen pal, but I'd love to now. I've felt very lonely as of late, so as well as giving me some social stimulation, I could also (hopefully) learn about another country and its culture, as well as receive help on learning their language.

I'd love to have pen pals from all over the world, what countries would you like them from? Also, if any one is willing, I'd greatly enjoy sharing letters.

(By the way, if any of you remember me, and remember me saying I had left UG for good, I assure you this is a one-off occurrence. I think I'll go bloody mad if I don't have some one to talk to).

Robbie!!! UG's only intelligent user!

On topic, I've never found myself with a pen pal, though (like yourself) I would value the opportunity... something seems rather exciting about receiving a letter, which only happens to me when I address the envelope to myself

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
Quote by Robbie n strat
I've missed you.

We've all missed you.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
wow, you're back!

i have a penpal but we dont write letters or anything, we just chat on msn. that's all. i guess that might not be considered a pen pal. i'd like to have a pen pal that speaks french or lives in a french speaking country because that's what im currently studying
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
2nd person who made a goodbye thread then couldnt stay away from the pit..
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by Guitarist132
2nd person who made a goodbye thread then couldnt stay away from the pit..

I've seen that happen at least half a dozen times since I started coming here. This is the only thread I'm making though. I just want people to talk to, without having to use forums or networking websites.
I had one in second grade. My handwriting's kind of sloppy now.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Hello

I used to have a Pen pal frmo Poland

..arghh what was her name!?

it began with "n"..ahw ell.

haha
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
ahh yeah i remember you... knew it woudlnt last

i guess the people i talk to online which i met here could be counted as pen pals. from the great austin (Sqeeezie on here), i learned how to be a hick, and hay. thats about it...

just one exiting example of my active social life!
i had a couple for school...

and if you're lonely, then you should know that UG ain't closing anytime soon
i met a girl this summer at this blues music camp/festival/week-long instrument lesson where i live(elkins,wva), but i havent gotten a letter from her in a while.
Quote by Salted_Peanuts
**** NO! and its staying that way.

I don't have a pen pal because well, I never had one. I'm up for e-mail though
Sent from my iPad.
i had a pen pal for a few years. she came to australia to live for a year and that's how we met, and we kept in contact for quite a while after she went home to england. but yeah, eventually we just stopped writing. i dont know if i could be bothered writing a letter these days.

unluCKY...
from daylight...
...into darkness
Robbie, You're back!

Eh, I've 3 pen pals in elementary school, but I forgot their names I think the first one from Montreal, I think, was Jeremy or something, then Philip and some other guy (forgot his name) from Australia.
Loyal Member of the "Pluto Memorial Club." PM Dæmönika
Member 20 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09
Member 4 of UG's Anti-Hunting League - PM Holy Katana
Heretic And Killer, P.M guitar_man_guy or T0xicitY
i know a girl from wales who i met on a website thing like myspace. we talk all the time and im goin to see her soon!!
Split your lungs with blood and thunder
When you see the white whale
Break your backs and crack your oars men
If you wish to prevail
Welcome back, Robbie.

Unless people I only talk to in the internet count, I do not have a penpal. I mean, I have friends that I correspond with from the UK, Japan, Australia and China. . . But those are done by messengers, emails, or in-game /tells.

They do help me with the languages/colloquialisms from their areas, though. Maybe I do have penpals?
Oh **** It's the legend himself. Well, I've only been here since Aug 06, but a lot of people seem to know you. (Did he miss A7Xowns?)

Anyway I do not have a penpal.
Robbie you have to stay, you were always my favorite UGer for some reason.

I had a pen pal for some school thing in like 3 grade but that didnt last.
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
When i lived in south korea 3rd grade, my teacher gave us all pen pals to write to. He knew a teacher in florida so we were gonna be penpals with his students.

We went to the computer room and typed out an introduction and message. Our teacher sent them to the teacher in florida and his students picked who they wanted. This guy picked me and his name was the same as mine. We just talked about boring stuff and what we like to do.
Later on we had to send each other gifts. I was too nice and I bought him a small dragon statue and mini korean traditional mask. Weeks later our teacher came to class with a big box; it was the gifts from our penpals. Everyone got candy but he gave me this small box that was for me. I opened it up and inside there was one of these.

Page 1 of 3