So I'm writing the rhythm to a song and I have it with these four chords (with some fills of course, it's not just the chords lol). I want to start writing the lead part but I need to make sure I'm in the right key first...I've read the zentao lesson on keys but I'm still unsure.

Here are the chords in order:

E|--------------------|
G|--------------------|
B|--------5---7------|
D|-2-----5---7------|
A|-2-----3---5--10-|
E|-0--------------8--|

Now if I'm correct that's I, V, VI, V and also E, C, D, C.

So would that be in the key of E?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That's a I bVI VII bVI power chord progression in E. The key is E minor.

Your second and fourth chords are the same.

Thanks man! By the way, does anyone know of a good lesson on determining key OTHER than the one on zentao. It left me a bit confused.
If you go on google and type in 'all guitar chords'. You get a site called www.all-guitar-chords.com (name-ish) Go onto reverse scales and map the notes out from the song, If there is enough to be sure what scale it is, it will tell you.
yeah, it's called practice. not to be harsh but if you practice a lot or just listen to a lot of music you'll hear a specific note coming back and the song trying to return to that note, that's all there's to it
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
yeah, it's called practice. not to be harsh but if you practice a lot or just listen to a lot of music you'll hear a specific note coming back and the song trying to return to that note, that's all there's to it

Yeah, I practice about 30-40 hours a week holmes. If that's not alot of practice then I don't know what is.

Quote by uterus
that's an impressive chord progression you have there

Are you being serious or sarcastic? If you're being serious; thanks! If you're being sarcastic then note this is my first *real* song I've ever written. Mostly I've just written a bunch of cheesy solos over pre-made cheesy chord progressions.
i dunno if he was being serious or sarcastic, but just be aware that type of progression is VERY common in all forms of music, i wouldn't say it's incredibly "impressive" but it is definately good and sound for a starter, i don't know if you know any music theory but it's a good start