my guitar class is playing Layla in out school concert and im playing a solo. im gonna keep it pentatonic like clapton so it can blend with the song now my problem is, what key is layla in. i always thought it was in the key of C, then i played it today and thought it was in the key of E. then my guitar teacher told me it was in the key of F. so im really confused and i need your help. im no genius when it comes to music theory so if you decide to explain why please keep it simple. thanks
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
thank you very much. i appreciate it
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

^Same key signature, but I'd agree it's in a minor key, so I'm going with bangoodcharlotte on this one. D minor.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
D Minor
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The intro, chorus, and guitar solo are D minor. The verses are C#m. The outro is C major.

I would call the verse E. Which of course is pretty much the same thing as C#m, as far as the key signature, also as far as the guitar fills go (same pentatonic box shape on the neck, at the ninth fret). So you may just want to quit reading right here, as what I'm about to say has no bearing on your soloing, and is instead more theoretical in nature

The only difference might be in how you think of it harmonically, as far as the chord progression.

The chords for the first half of the verse are

C#m G#(m?) C#m C D E

(doing this from memory, I forget whether the G# is major or minor)

Anyway, if you look at those as being in C#m you get something a little off the wall, as far as the C and D chords go:

i v i VII? bII? III

But if you look at those as being in E you get this, which doesn't look as unusual:

vi iii vi bVI bVII I

its not that uncommon to see bVI bVII I (that is, major I) chord progressions in rock. (example: Voodoo Chile chorus)
the solos would be D minor Pentatonic
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
Quote by CurtisJay
layla is a fun song, are you doing an improv solo in the place of clapton's?

yes i am improvising, thats why i needed to know the key, thanks for all of your help everyone
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by CurtisJay
layla is a fun song, are you doing an improv solo in the place of clapton's?

It's Duane Allman's solo, not Clapton's!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.