I've been playing for about 8 months but I am ready to trade in my G&L for something different. I am looking at the LTD EC-400AT and the EC-1000, aside from hardware and finish, one has 22 frets and one has 24, I am assuming that the other 2 frets are for soloing, but I am thinking about going with EMG's in the 400 if I get it, I've heard that having 22 frets will give the neck pup a smoother, warmer tone then the 24, is this true? Is this something I will notice if I played both one beside the other?
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
with 22 frets, the neck pickup can be located farther from the bridge, making it warmer in tone, but less range

but with bass, the neck pickup is more in the mid position, so it doesn't matter as much...
duh it makes a difference, 2 frets dumbo. it doest really matter unless you really want that extra note or two on the high e string, cuz the notes you can get on the others can just be acheived by moving over strings. 24 fret neck are a little bit longer obviously, and a little bit more comforatble, for me anyways.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Yes, and I do need 24 frets.

I don't mind IC400 22 frets though, but that's pretty much it.

24 frets is like having 6 fingers, more resources, but remember, just because the frets end here doesn't mean the music stops there.
i used to have 22 frets on my strat, but then i bought a new guitar which has 24 frets, and i must say, i much prefer having those extra 2 frets, just so that if i want to learn a song that needs you to play the 23rd/24th fret, i can.
Been away, am back
Yeah, I'm thinking of buying a new guitar with 24 frets, because if you wanna play fret 22, it's kind of hard. Especially when you're playing Selkies. It's just more room.
I prefer 24 frets from what I've tried, but I only actually own a strat, so I have 21 frets.

I just bend for those extra frets.
cant play master of puppets without 24 frets properly.

*sobs*

why do i have to have a les-22 frickin fretted-paul
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
I have 24 on my Hellraiser. I haven't ever really played on a 22 fret that many times. I would think that 24 would be useful in a sense that you have a full 2 octaves.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
why dont u go for a ec-500? its cheaper than the 1000, looks more metal, has 24 frets, is string thru AND has the EMGs. u just gotta be comfortable with the flat black and the skull
Ibanez K7
JCM 800
You have a G&L? Give it to me!
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
You have a G&L? Give it to me!

well if I can find a EC-400AT or a 1000 then it may be yours
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
I have a crappy 24 fret guitar and a good 22 fret guitar, I'd prefer the 22 fret anyday, prolly because of the sound though.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
i prefer my ibanez's 24 frets over my stats 21 anyday, simply because theres alot more room down that end of the neck
Ibanez 370DX LH, Tanglewood Nevada LH, Freshman Apoostic, VOX AD30VT amp
Quote by bobsyouraunt
cant play master of puppets without 24 frets properly.

*sobs*

why do i have to have a les-22 frickin fretted-paul

yeah you can actually, you're just retarded.

Two fret's doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference. its the same equivalent of a full bend so yeah.

Whatever FEELS better for YOU.
Personally 22 is better for ME, because the longer neck feels weird with a strap. But thatt's personal taste, don't just think more = better.
Quote by henza_x
yeah you can actually, you're just retarded.

Two fret's doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference. its the same equivalent of a full bend so yeah.

Whatever FEELS better for YOU.
Personally 22 is better for ME, because the longer neck feels weird with a strap. But thatt's personal taste, don't just think more = better.

I was just about to say that, I have a Les Paul too, and I can play Master of Puppets. lol.
Whatever feels comfortable is whatever you should go with. I love that my guitar has 22 frets because it's smaller and I feel like I have more control of the guitar as a whole.
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
he shoved a pole up the lads arse.

he didn't bumshag him.