Well, I'm going to be playing all the way from generic rock to death metal...so keep that in mind.

My total budget is going to be under $5000, this includes guitar, amp, and effects.

Right now I have the Boss Metal Zone and the Zakk Wylde Crybaby. I also have the DigiTech Death Metal, but that doesn't count because it's the worst pedal on earth.

Guitar
What I'd really like to see in my axe is easy upper fret access, moderate versatility, low action, and I really don't want dot inlays. Granted, that's really not that important, but dot inlays are really lame. Pickups in the guitar don't really matter as I will be changing them anyway.

Amp
Well I'll probably get two, a half stack or high wattage combo for playing venues, and then a practice amp with decent tone for my room. As far as the tone of the big amp goes, I'll be playing at my church and also playing metalcore/metal/death metal. I wanna be able to go from upbeat rock at my church (the tone I really want with this is the tone Joe Satriani has on Crystal Planet), to Metallica/Megadeth style tones, to Death Metal/Metalcore style tones. So really I want the amp to produce Crystal Planet type tones, and use pedals for all the metal/metalcore. If the amp can do that, it'd be sweet though. For a practice amp, really I just want something small to play in my room that has decent tone. Needs to be cheap. If there's like a cheap 10 watt tube amp out there, that's probably what I'd like. Otherwise I'll probably go with something like a Line 6 Spider combo.

Effects
Like I said, generic rock to death metal, I want chorus, delay, whammy, noise gate and reverb. (unless the amp has those) And anything else you guys think would benefit me.

Pickups
I'll need two passive humbuckers, one for the aforementioned Crystal Planet tone, and one for my metal/metalcore fix. For the Crystal Planet type tone I'm possibly looking at the DiMarzio Evolution, though I don't know if I should use bridge or neck. Don't even know where to start for metal though.

My skill is decent, and I'm practicing alot and practicing what I think is correctly now, so soon I should be pretty good. Thanks guys.
You're a dingus for making a post like this.

Just go to Guitar Center and wave the 5 grand around, play everything in the shop and buy what you want.

...and Laney makes a low wattage tube combo amp..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
first the guitar a guitar that you can get really nice clean and amazing distorted sound out of is the Shecter c-1 there are alot of models of that guitar so take alook at them
second for the amp a cheap one that is good is an ibanez 100wat halfstack my friend is in a band and has one and gets really good sound from it or look at some marshalls
for a small practice amp maybe a micro cube which has the effects but its only the practice amp so that doesnt do you much good but its one of the getter practice amps
and as for the pickups a good metal pickup would be pretty much flat out an emg they now make passive pickups not just active so take alook at those emgpickups.com

hope i was of some help
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
ill start with the Amp, id go with a Peavey JSX cus guess who's sig amp it is, and it can definatley play metal
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.

Quote by gunther_sucks
Hey you look kind of like me.

Except for the sexy man goatee, and kickass shades. And sweet guitar.

I'm jealous.
Quote by HavokStrife
You're a dingus for making a post like this.

Just go to Guitar Center and wave the 5 grand around, play everything in the shop and buy what you want.

...and Laney makes a low wattage tube combo amp..

I don't have the 5 grand yet, I'm just posting this so when I start buying stuff I'll know where to start.
Quote by Vandaliztik
ill start with the Amp, id go with a Peavey JSX cus guess who's sig amp it is, and it can definatley play metal

Yeah, I've thought about but I have two questions.

Too much wattage?

Combo or half-stack?
Get the Epi Valve Jr for cheap tube practice amp.

I would play the guitar before I bought. Same for the other amp really, you really need to play them to know for sure.

Maybe an AD9 for delay? Chorus, I would probably go with Boss.

EDIT: However, the B-52 AT100 I played had a beautiful clean channel
for guitar, some sort of ibanez RG
shark tooth inlays, low action, thin neck, insane fret access (24 frets by the way)
for the amp a rectifier
im too lazy to reccomend a bunch of effects and stuff
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Well, I'd agree with Havok and tell you to try stuff out, but I'll suggest a few items...

Guitar

Michael Kelly Patriot Custom (gets you in Les Paul land without the horrible neck joint)
That's the best recommendation I can give. They price in around $500 - $600, but don't let the value fool you, they're increadible. You'll have more than enough money left over for a professional fret level (essential on just about every new guitar these days) and that will get you the lowest of the low action. Try one out.

Amp

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster - this amp is increadibly versatile...it's got the cleans from the lone star but it can do the mega-gain overdrive of the road king. 4 channels, too many options to list. The amp rings in at around $2000. The rectifier cab can be found for around $400 to $600.

Peavey JSX - you've heard it by now on his records, so I'm not going to waste time explaining.

Effects

This is touchy, it all depends on what kind of feel you're going for. Since you're mixing a bunch of different styles, here's my thoughts.

Chorus - Visual Sound H20 or TC Electronics Chorus/Flanger. Both can cover a huge range of styles and ring in around $160.

Delay - Twin Boss DD-6 units for the satch stuff, and they're great stomps by themselves. Total for both should be under $180 if you nag properly.

Whammy - you've only got one choice here

Noise Gate - not needed if you go with the JSX head, but as I've said before, don't buy this until you know you need it. Live with your rig for a month or so and dial in your sound before you start filtering it...most of the time you can get rid of noise by cleaning up your rig, but most players are too lazy to try.

Reverb - covered if you get the mesa...built in spring reverb with 4 seperate level controls for each channel...this amp is too beautiful. If you need to get the effect in a pedal, the EH Holier Grail does the job well.

Really concentrate on the amp and guitar first and add effects as necessary. Delay is always an essential part of my sound, so I can't do without it, but assemble the key pieces first and see what you want or need after that.

If your budget is $5000, you should have a decent amount of money left. Hopefully this helps you out.
definitely get a mesa boogie dual rectifier. its just an awesome amp. great body, great crunch, great distortion..one of the most versatile amps out there today. but i also love the peavey jsx. the mesa is the most versatile one though.

and guitar...if your going to be playing death metal and church stuff, i would get a les paul. i have a gibson les paul classic, and it has awesome tone, and killer distortion. i do the exact same thing you do, im in a band at church and in a metal band, the only problem with the les paul is it doesn't have 24 frets and not the best access to the high frets. anything from esp is awesome. i have an esp ltd kh-202, and although its the lowest graded kirk hammett signature model, its such an amazing guitar. the action is pretty good, i had it lowered a bit. a good ibanez rg will have good action also.

i dont use effects much, but when you need that extra push for some solos and what not, just use an ibanez tube screamer. they're pretty decent little pedals, but i wouldn't use it for a whole song, but it probably would sound great with the mesa. i have a solid state marshall, and doesn't go well with it.

but for the amp, definitely get the mesa dual rec. or if you want 25 extra watts, get the triple. best of luck to you.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
oh and for the practice amp, the roland microcube is pretty sick.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join