One of them fancy speaker motor models.
Now, Cna I just use a normal guitar cable to connect it to my amp?
My amp has a 1/4" cord from the speaker, so I can plug that into the Speaker Out Jack. But I'm talking about from the cord that will go from the amp to attenuator...
I just wanna double check before I freakin end up breaking anything.
just curious. what amp is it?

Can you plug one of those up to an AC30?
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
Damn, I knew it. I thought I read that somwhere.

Ummm...I have an Epiphone Valve Special.
And I would assume you got hook it up to an AC30, though I've never seen the back of one, so I dunno what kind of cables you have to work with.
Quote by Mr Songwriter
What would happen to instrument cables then? is there too much current for them?

yep theyll like burn out or something. and if your amp isnt putting out voltage to anything, such as a speaker, boom it breaks.

be safe, use a speaker cable
Quote by JET116
just curious. what amp is it?

Can you plug one of those up to an AC30?

You can, but not stock. You'll have to hook up a 1/4 connector to the speaker wires, and then run the attenuator through there. If you don't know how to do that, any tech can do it while you wait for next to nothing.

As far as speaker cables- Target won't have them but radio shack might.
But the radioshack ones will be crap. Speaker cables are like instrument cables in that you can buy name brands and cheapos will sound crapper.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Doesn't your town have a music store...?
Just drop by a music store for gods sake!

And I have a Weber Mini-MASS. Works good.
Amp output goes into the "input" and the speaker goes to the "output."
Easy.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Err...

Instrument cables work just fine. (for practice)

You don't really have to worry bunches unless you're putting quite a bit of power through them...
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Sep 26, 2006,
essentially the speaker cables are meant for more power (higher voltages etc) but I really only believe there is need to worry when you're doing something like pushing 1000w+ through it.

I think of it like this:

Instrument cable- long two lane road

Speaker cable- eight lane freeway.

the instrument cable is meant for alot less traffic, but will work in a pinch. With lower wattages (say, 40w) it couldn't possibly heat the thing up enough to fry it. Whereas, with 1000+w (like a bass amplifier) you'd be able to hear and feel the difference.

speaker cable is more like an open highway capable of handling more power.

basically if you wanted to plug in and play with a GOOD instrument cable it wouldn't hurt right now- in fact it'll probably work until you can goto the store (a few days?) and buy the correct cable.

I'd still prefer to have the correct cable for the correct setup, however, i have never owned a speaker cable in my guitar-carrer (nearing on four years, and three half stacks) and I get by just fine.
I still do.. for all three of my heads and cabs =/ I've been meaning to buy some..just broke or I havent had the time.

Here's a very informative website on cords/cables etc, you might find it helpful.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/cords/index.php
Haha. well, I meant for an attenuator. Just trying to match up situations as much as possible, ya know.
Yeah, guitarnuts is great. Very informative place.
Right. That's what I inferred from your advice. Well, I'd like to play my amp now, so I guess I'll just plug in til I can buy another cord. Hehe
Some guitar cables can have really small ratings.
The risk is that if your cable gets messed up, you could severly damage your output transformer by leaving it unloaded.
Depending on your amp, it can take as little as 30 seconds to fry a $100 transformer even if something as small as a cable messes up.
Don't take the risk.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by xifr
But the radioshack ones will be crap. Speaker cables are like instrument cables in that you can buy name brands and cheapos will sound crapper.

radioshack carries Monster Cables, get your facts straight. and cheap cables can be just as good, its not about what name is on them