anyone own or has played one of these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT1200HG412SL-Half-Stack?sku=487796

Crate GT1200H head and G412SL half stack

if so, what did you think about it in regards of

1. What sound is it good for producing

2. Reliability?

3. How loud was it?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
your better off getting a tube combo, just as luod if not louder and will sound much better. what kinda music you play?
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
well i play stuff like guns n roses, ac/dc, led zeppelin. is there any half stack that would be tube that i could talk guitar center down to like 500 bucks on?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Yeah man you should get a tube amp. Your probably gunna have to save up more. And why do you have to have a half stack?
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
nope, but try that one out, everyonce here creams themselves over tube combos, so its more than a little biased, if you like SS halfstacks then get one, but all of the bands you just mentioned use marshalls and a marshall half stack will be a bit more than quite a bit more than $500 (you might be able to get the cab for that much)

Quote by JesseIbanez
Yeah man you should get a tube amp. Your probably gunna have to save up more. And why do you have to have a half stack?

maybe because he wants one? I think most of you people just get pissy about people getting half stacks because the rest of you cant afford them or something, and halfstacks gennerally do sound better than combos, especially in live situations.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
well i play stuff like guns n roses, ac/dc, led zeppelin. is there any half stack that would be tube that i could talk guitar center down to like 500 bucks on?

You don't need a half stack. But I would play every tube amp that GC has and decide.
what do you guys think about a peavey valveking 112 (50 watts tube)?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
maybe because he wants one? I think most of you people just get pissy about people getting half stacks because the rest of you cant afford them or something, and halfstacks gennerally do sound better than combos, especially in live situations.

Im not getting pissy, im giving him suggestions to save him money and pick the correct amp. I have my JSX half stack coming soon, so you can STFU. If he isnt playing live or anything there isnt much of a need for a half stack, but I dont know that, so therefore I asked him why he needed one.
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
i wasnt really talking about you specifically, you where just the first person i saw to mention it in this thread, but there really seems to be a thing in this forum where almost everyone veiws stack as completely unnessicary and a waste of money or whatever.

Last.fm
Quote by JesseIbanez
Im not getting pissy, im giving him suggestions to save him money and pick the correct amp. I have my JSX half stack coming soon, so you can STFU. If he isnt playing live or anything there isnt much of a need for a half stack, but I dont know that, so therefore I asked him why he needed one.

because to me they sound better than a solid state combo. anyone think a peavey valveking would be better?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
nah, peavey valvekings arent very good, and they break down a lot, not worth the money, at all.

Last.fm
you can get one of the avt50/avt150 hybrid models and replace the preamp tubes. They are always on sale and factory don't sound as good as when you put in better preamp tubes but still imo kill crates. My singer has one of those (Crates) and well, he had a few but, he smashed them....i can sympathise. You can also get a used Carvin mts 3200 on ebay or such (i did) for around 330 for the head and pop out the power tubes, pop in some EL34's, flip the rebias switch and will have pretty close to the sound you seem to be going for. I use 6l6gc's myself but, i am not a huge Marshall fan either. I would recomend staying away from Crate though, just my opinion. Some solid state amps are pretty decent but, they have 'breakup' issues at higher volumes (most) but, are cheaper,safer and generaly more reliable. I am a tuber too though. Best of luck!
Last edited by diesect20022000 at Sep 26, 2006,
well ive heard some great things about the valvekings from people and some bad things from others
Lunatics on pogo sticks
The only issues i heard about the Valveking series is that they eat power tubes like candy. I have never used one and wouldn't know if that is a mechanical malfuntion or human error but, i have heard they sound great as long as you aren't into metal.
I havent heard too much negatives about the Valveking, nor have I heard many positive comments on it. Everything is more neutral. So my impression is that its an OK amp. And since you said you like it better than Solid State combos, doesnt mean you cant have a tube combo. Just a suggestion.
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
a valveking would absolutely slaughter any crate ss amp for sure, in that price range that is, the crate gt series amps are ****, i owend a 112 at one point..
Quote by JesseIbanez

**** tube combos.

Real men play stacks.
most real men dont have the money for a stack
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
most real men dont have the money for a stack

If you can't come up with $1500 and you're above the age of 18 you fail at life.
Most real men arent stupid enough to buy cheap ****ing solid state **** stacks..
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
If you can't come up with $1500 and you're above the age of 18 you fail at life.

i have $1500, but a car is more important to me, and im 15 btw o and the guy below him, *reported*
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Quote by d_byrne23
Most real men arent stupid enough to buy cheap ****ing solid state **** stacks..

I agree with that one. Haha. Well they shouldnt be that stupid anyways.
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by d_byrne23

"Most real men arent stupid" Is an oxymoron...

... The few who know whats what buy ENGL.

I'd rather have a SS half stack for metal and upgrade to a tube head later.
reported? what the ****? you reported him for an opinion?

and a good opinion at that. even though i used to do it, constantly recommending combos over stacks and saying that 100 watts tube is too loud is friggin ridiculous. ever though that its not about what they need, but what they want? *i couldn't afford a tube stack, but i plan on getting one next/year after*
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
thats personal opinion, ive p[layed a boosted valveking, and a crate GT series amplifier, and if you know what real metal sounds like, or a good metal tone for that matter, you wouldnt want that crate or the crate cab
STFU with any bickering in here.
Don't have time to read the thread now.
Be good.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by d_byrne23

idk about you guys but im pretty freakin sure that was directed right at me

but, ill leave it alone now
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Yeah, well anyway, i agree tube sounds better and like i said. Carvin has some great tube amps man. You can get the mts3200 (head/half stack/full stack) or the combo, the mts3212.

both are around 600 new from Carvin. Which i would "buy" one and have it shipped so you can test it for the ten day period and if you like it go to ebay and buy one used for around 330. There aren't alot of amps i like more than this one. There are a few but, they are outrageously priced (worth it though) or only do one thing well and i prefer versatility. ENGLS are nice but, with that money so are the Framus cobra, 5150,Mesa any recto, deizl etc
Last edited by diesect20022000 at Sep 27, 2006,
Also, the mts is switchable between any 12a preamp tubes as well as 5881/6l6gc and el34 power tubes and 50/100 watts with built in reverb (i am pretty sure it's spring but, not possitive on that one)
amp sounds and looks amazing, where can i get those in canada (carvin amps)?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

On a budget, 99 times out of 100 a similarly priced combo will own a stack. Sure once the budget ups this changes but regardless of whether he gets an SS or tube amp he's way better off with a combo.
I have a valveking 112 and it's worth the paltry $400 you will pay. Sounds waaaaayy better than my old Crate solidstate. I can afford a Marshal TSL if I really wanted to spend that much $$, but after playing the Peavey, the Marshall and the randall rg50tc, the Peavey seemed to have the most bang for the buck. It can play ACDC, Sabbath, and Metallica style pretty well. The Randall has an extra pre-amp tube and has even more overdrive if you want Slayer/ Pantera style (sounds like a Marshall) Audition them yourself at Guitar Center. I was about to spend $1200 on a Marshall, then I went and played them all. Works for me.
Quote by d_byrne23
amp sounds and looks amazing, where can i get those in canada (carvin amps)?

Honestly i am not really sure. I got mine through ebay but, you can go through Carvins site as well.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

if he can afford a kickass tube half-stack, then he's more than welcome to get one.

However, at his price range, he can get a good tube combo, or a sub-par half-stack (unless he gets a good deal second hand).

so he should either save up for a good tube half-stack, or else buy a good tube combo with the money he has.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?