I'm really struggling writing songs.

Say I'm feeling happy and i wanna write a powerful song, I can't. I think it's cos I think about it too much and lets me understand why so many artists smoke weed.

I think I need to be relaxed, is this true? I mean very relaxed and not actually thinking about what I'm writing.

Another problem I have is that say I'm writing bout like chickens dancing I'll think about other things that are going in my life at the same time and suddenly the song will change mood and it's nthing like it was a minute ago. I'll never stick to one thing, it does my head in.

Any help?

Thanks a lot
Matthew
Well...it depends on what type of music you want to write. If you want to write really deep songs it's obviously not a good idea to smoke weed whilst doing so. If you want to write a song for the radio, then really you don't have to think at all....
I'm against weed, I don't know why, just the way I've been brought. Influenced by the media! lol... I don't know, I have this on going debate in my head. Questions such as "use scales or use your ear" it's very hard to think **** it do whatever...
Just mess around on your instrument with a notepad or something next to you or a constnantly running tpe recorder or w/e. Let your fingers have fun, don't think too hard. Then look at what you've got by just playing what you felt and see if you can come up with something. Don't force yourself to write, you're not signed to a label yet.
Quote by TooLateForRoses
Well...it depends on what type of music you want to write. If you want to write really deep songs it's obviously not a good idea to smoke weed whilst doing so. If you want to write a song for the radio, then really you don't have to think at all....

The good news is, this kid is completely wrong. Lemme go ahead and just ask him to put a song on the radio.... and watch him fail miserably. The popularity of a song has absolutely nothing to do with its complexity or depth - the fact that there can be a rap song about bitches, hoes, and money on the radio doesn't mean that something genius can't come out on there as well.

Back on topic.

Writing music is not a science. Writing music isn't really a mental exercise. It should be an emotional exercise. When you FEEL something that compels you to write, you should go for it. Very few good songs get written when someone says, "Hey, you know, I just want to write a song. About... hmm... love!"

I think you're confusing complexity with depth. A song can be C Am F G on an acoustic guitar and vocals, and be brilliantly powerful and deep (Bob Dylan, anyone?) and a song can also bounce all over the place but really mean nothing and be extremely shallow and crappy. (no examples here, I don't want to make people mad)

Depth is the true mark of a good song. Not musical complexity - a computer can do that - but emotional complexity, the HUMAN part of music... now that's what I'm talking about.

More later, homework now.
Quote by pratt121
The good news is, this kid is completely wrong. Lemme go ahead and just ask him to put a song on the radio.... and watch him fail miserably. The popularity of a song has absolutely nothing to do with its complexity or depth - the fact that there can be a rap song about bitches, hoes, and money on the radio doesn't mean that something genius can't come out on there as well.

I may or may not fail misersably to write a song and put on the radio, but more than likely, if I tried and focused on what made the average person thinks makes a "great" song, then I could probably do it pretty easily. I stopped listening to the radio a long time ago, so I don' know exactly what they play on it now, but mostly it's lame music written about hos, crappy boyfriends, and meaningless stuff...

And to some degree you're right...something genius COULD be played on the radio, but 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% of the time, they're going to blast something cliche, shallow, and generic on there.