diatonic just means all the notes are related to the key, with no outside notes.
Diatonic means a seven-note scale. We generally use it to describe the major scale, the harmonic minor scale, the melodic minor scale, and all of their modes.
and chromatic is all of the notes....A, A#/Bb, B, C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab....
diatonic, hmm

for example, Ab is diatonic to G

as G# is chromatic to G

*edit
meow :3
Last edited by Remebol at Sep 27, 2006,
ummm... F# is diatonic to G. Fb only exists in B diminished

But yeah, you pretty much got it. Chromatic actually means that a run or group of notes ascend/descend in half steps.
^The last one should be

Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab

That's the Ab Major diatonic scale. The key of Ab has 4 flats.

Diatonic just refers to "being in the key" as was stated previously. That's all there is to it.
Quote by Johnljones7443
A diatonic scale refers to a seven note scale comprised of 5 whole tones and 2 semi tones.

Almost

The 2 semi tones must be maximally separated.

Basically it means what's commonly referred to as the major scale and it's modes.
So diatonic is NOT: harmonic minor, melodic minor, diminished, etc.... It's ONLY
the major scale.

The origins of the diatonic scale are actually pretty interesting.

Ancient scales were 4 note scales (tetrachords) comprised of 3 distinct notes with
the formula: W W H. At some point, a longer scale was desired. So 2 of those
scales were stuck together seperated by a whole tone: W W H W W W H. The
modern diatonic. You can find symmetries between the upper and lower halfs
of the scale if you look for them.
Quote by edg
Almost

The 2 semi tones must be maximally separated.

Basically it means what's commonly referred to as the major scale and it's modes.
So diatonic is NOT: harmonic minor, melodic minor, diminished, etc.... It's ONLY
the major scale.

The origins of the diatonic scale are actually pretty interesting.

Ancient scales were 4 note scales (tetrachords) comprised of 3 distinct notes with
the formula: W W H. At some point, a longer scale was desired. So 2 of those
scales were stuck together seperated by a whole tone: W W H W W W H. The
modern diatonic. You can find symmetries between the upper and lower halfs
of the scale if you look for them.

That's partly wrong. From the top down... I would considert he melodic minor diatonic-literal, as well as the natural minor.

More importantly though, the last paragraph is flat wrong. Ancient scales were hexatonic, having 6 tones, not four. The concept of the tetrachord is a relatively late, 18th century, idea that makes explaining the major scale simpler; however it's artificial.

The literal for diatonic -- two tone -- refers literally to a scales two semi-tones, and the opposing tendencies they create. If I weren't in a time crunch I'd go into it more, but I've posted on this fairly recently, and most of you are smart enough to use the search feature.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club