Page 1 of 4
I haven't brought this up before but....I'm so sick of hearing about Ian, Fugazi and the Evens on this forum, that I will now play my "Ian trump card".

When Minor Threat covered the Wire song "12XU", Ian changed the lyrics.
Instead of the original lyrics "Saw you in a mag! Go!", you can clearly hear that Ian sings "Kill The Faggot".

Go here, scroll down and click on "12XU" and you'll hear it.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Discography-Minor-Threat/dp/B000000JO3/sr=8-1/qid=1159315656/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5143664-7686428?ie=UTF8&s=music

Shocking, eh?
It wasn't the only time that he used that word.
He did call someone a "fag" in an interview from Touch and Go zine #20, so it's par for the course.

http://30underdc.com/bands/minorthreat/minort_tg20.html

Ian: ...go see the Bad Brains next time, Lozon you fag...

Now I know why Ian liked Bad Brains so much.
They have something in common: RABID HOMOPHOBIA

http://www.30underdc.com/bands/badbrains/int_flip31.html

FS: How'd it go in SF?
HR: Well, it's ok, but too many faggots.
FS: Oh yeah! Welcome to California! How do they bother you?
HR: Well because they act confused...
FS: They act confused?
HR: They act confused.
FS: They act confused or are confused?
HR: They act confused.
FS: You don't think they are?
HR: Well that goes along with it but mostly if they just act sensible they wouldn't be so bad, most of them act so crazy even out in public, it disturbs me, makes me want to go and shoot one of them.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
I agree, homophobia is sick. Conservative bastards...
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Are you actually gay? Or does this just randomly offend you? Because it's horrible but he is just talking.
K.

Don't really care, Ian MacKaye still owns.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
It?s wrong to perceive a group of people as confused, especially after formatting an opinion based on the experiences with a small percentage of that group, but from what HR said, I don?t really think it was a direct attack at homosexuals. He is just being immature and noting that he dislikes their attitude, it?s still pretty pathetic, but no direct attack against homosexuality.
I was never muchy into Minor Threat or any of Ian's other bands,but that really sucks about the Bad Brains.I've heard rumors about HR ebing homophobic,but i didnt know for sure.
Quote by bloodstained
It?s wrong to perceive a group of people as confused, especially after formatting an opinion based on the experiences with a small percentage of that group, but from what HR said, I don?t really think it was a direct attack at homosexuals. He is just being immature and noting that he dislikes their attitude, it?s still pretty pathetic, but no direct attack against homosexuality.

Well, HR also wrote a song called "Don't Blow Bubbles", a more direct attack at homosexuality.
But really, the guy's a schizophrenic and won't take his medication because of his rastafarian beliefs.
Ian is a fairly liberal guy. I think this is a bit of an exxageration/misinterpretation.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Are you completely sure he says "Kill the Faggot"? Because you usually can't understand anything he says. However, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was true.
I dont really know If I trust the validity of those sites.

And many times either he could be joking, exaggerating, or they didnt put the whole statement he said.

But whatever. Homophobe or not, as long as he didnt preach it in his music, i dont care. Keep it to himself.

And i dont know about that song there nemo, you cant really understand it.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Johnny, what the hell is your problem with other people's beliefs? He can hate whoever the hell he wants to hate. People can like Fugazi without supporting Mackaye's homophobia. People can like Bad Brains and still not hate gays. Do you have some kind of punk-superiority complex? Get off the high horse, there's no room for that shit here.
Live fast, die young.
Quote by MrLucky77713
Johnny, what the hell is your problem with other people's beliefs? He can hate whoever the hell he wants to hate. People can like Fugazi without supporting Mackaye's homophobia. People can like Bad Brains and still not hate gays. Do you have some kind of punk-superiority complex? Get off the high horse, there's no room for that shit here.

it seems to me like he was just sharing something he heard/thought...not trying to be like, oh fuck! now i'm never gonna listen to these bands ever again!"

i think we've established that you can't you just can't stop liking a band just because you don't believe in one thing that they believe. if you would you probably wouldn't listen to much music. i completely agree with you on that.

but anywayzz...yeah homophobia sucks.
Quote by rockeroller
it seems to me like he was just sharing something he heard/thought...not trying to be like, oh fuck! now i'm never gonna listen to these bands ever again!"

That's pretty much EXACTLY what he was saying. That, and he blames Ian Mackaye for Emo, and claims that he's a nazi, or at least a supporter of nazis, or a closet nazi, who knows. Something about Ian and the Reich. But maybe it was just that first sentence that tainted my judgement...

i think we've established that you can't you just can't stop liking a band just because you don't believe in one thing that they believe. if you would you probably wouldn't listen to much music. i completely agree with you on that.

but anywayzz...yeah homophobia sucks.

Unless of course you're johnnylogic, then it all makes sense to hate them.
Live fast, die young.
Quote by johnnynemo
Now I know why Ian liked Bad Brains so much.
They have something in common: RABID HOMOPHOBIA

I had wondered if there was some connection between that and him liking Bad Brains... interesting.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
It doesn't surprise me, but I know loads of people who say 'fag' who aren't homophobic.
So...the general consensus is that Ian can call people "fags" and sing "kill the Faggot", but not get labeled a homophobe.
To quote Operation Ivy "You call that a new way of thinking. I call it regression to ignorance", but so be it.

Let's see how you deal with Ian's racist statements.

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~cch223/usa/info/mrr_rapsession.html

from Maximumrocknroll #8, September 1983

V: What does "Guilty Of Being White" mean? That's a song that can be mis-construed.

I: Not at all, I don't think. But I'll explain it. I live in Washington, D.C., which is 75% black. My junior high was 90% black. My high school was 80% black, and throughout my entire life, I've been brought up in this whole thing where the white man was sh*t because of slavery.

Then everything has to do with slavery or black people. You get to the 1950's, they don't talk about nothing except the black people. Even WWII, they talk about the black regiments. In English, we don't read all the novelists, we read all the black novelists. Every week is African King's Week.

I think the best way we're going to have to deal with it is that if I am able to say "n*gger" without everyone gasping, and if I'm able to say that word, because I don't have any problems with that word. I say "bitch", and that means a girl asshole. I might say "jock", which means an athletic asshole. But you say "n*gger", which means black asshole, everyone flies off the handle.

I: And I'm just saying I'm guilty of being white - it's my one big crime. That's why I get so much ****ing **** at school, that's why I cannot get on welfare in Washington, most likely. That's why when we took the PSAT's, when Jeff checked off the black box, he got awards, he got scholarships, he got all kinds of interest, but when he admitted he was white, all that was gone.

I: They're going to beat me over the head about African kings and stuff to the point where I'm going to say "Well, f*ck the African kings. And f*ck the black people too.

I: if I'm walking down the street and I see a whole lot of black kids coming up the street, I know from my experiences, I know that there can be trouble.

I: And one thing that used to cause a lot of controversy was I used to say, "I hate everybody. I hate black people, I hate white people. I hate everything.

I: It seems to me that if you give the black kids a little help, I think it will just go in a circle. I think someone will end up being resentful and it's not going to work out

I: I'm from Washington, D.C., where now rich black people are moving out and sending their kids to private school too.

Now let's compare what Ian just said to the Nazi White Power band SKREWDRIVER's lyrics.

Skrewdriver song: WHITE CALL

They come here to this country from the jungles and from trees
The traitors in the parliament give them a better deal
Spend the nation's money, to cater to their needs
They all accept our charity, then bite the hand that feeds

Gee...Ian Stuart and Ian MacKaye were saying pretty much the same thing.

That makes it very convenient for Nazis, because if they can't find that Skrewdriver import, they can listen to Minor Threat, and get the same message.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Last edited by johnnynemo at Sep 27, 2006,
Then stop bitchin', jeez. I don't care if you dislike Ian or Fugazi, just don't make a thread bitching about it.

I like Fugazi, and I disagree with his views, but take it to the Pit, or don't talk about it at all.
Why not? People keep making threads about Fugazi and they think his lyrics are so well informed and sincere. Why not tell them the truth. Check for my thread on Ian Mackaye a while back. At least I think I started it.
Seriously...unless you're gay and easily offended, who REALLY gives a fuck?
Quote by ss311
I do and I'm not gay or easily offended.
Then I don't really see your problem.

It's freedom of speech; he has his opinion and he stated it. It's not hurting you, and unless he actually physically hurts a homo, he's done nothing wrong.

Deal with it.
Yes he has. He's made derogatory statements regarding homosexuals and blacks and I find it offensive because who's he to judge anyone?
Quote by ss311
Yes he has. He's made derogatory statements regarding homosexuals and blacks and I find it offensive because who's he to judge anyone?
Meh. Everyone has an opinion. Learn to live with that, and your life will be much easier.
Hahaha... This is great stuff to tell all the posh HxC kids. Or maybe it isnt, we dont need them being anymore racist or homophobic.
I don't say the word fag, because I'm affraid of offending other people. But I'm not offended by it. I'm sure in that context it was just a slang term.

I love his bands, but he can be a douche at times.
Quote by <><
Meh. Everyone has an opinion. Learn to live with that, and your life will be much easier.

You really are an idiot. You're telling me to accept his opinion even though he can't accept someone's colour or sexual preference?
Quote by ss311
You really are an idiot. You're telling me to accept his opinion even though he can't accept someone's colour or sexual preference?

No, he's just telling you to stop be less crazy about the whole ordeal and move on .
Quote by ss311
Face it. A lot of gays really play the stereotypical 'I have a lithp and flop my wrist around' bit to the extreme. Be homosexual if you must, but at least try to act like a normal member of society.

I can see where Ian's coming from. And like I said, he's entitled to his own opinion. Who are you to judge?
Quote by <><
Face it. A lot of gays really play the stereotypical 'I have a lithp and flop my wrist around' bit to the extreme. Be homosexual if you must, but at least try to act like a normal member of society.

I can see where Ian's coming from. And like I said, he's entitled to his own opinion. Who are you to judge?

+1
I've never really liked Ian, and now I hate him even more. It seems like someone so focused on clean living would be able to accept other people for who they are.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by <><

Hating someone based purely on their sexuality or race is just so fucking dumb that I just can't respect a guy who preaches these opinions.

Preaching hate, for any reason - especially as superficial as sexuality or race is stupid, and should be stongly discouraged. It's a vicious circle in my opinion, hate - violence - hate - violence etc

And having a lisp and weak wrist means you're not a normal member of society?
Shit I better go back to speech therapy classes, don't want people thinking I'm some kind of freak cos I can't pronounce 's' right, do I?

And nemo, and others have stated before - homophobia has no place in punk, so how about you fuck off out of the punk forum.

Good day.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by <><

Who the hell are you to say how people should act?
brnh.bandcamp.com
I know it sounds like I'm hating on Ian (and I am), but i'm also providing balance.

Google "Ian MacKaye" sometime and you'll get thousands of pages of people gushing about how great he is and how wonderful his "ethics" are, etc.
It's all sycophantic bullsh*t and I'm sick of it.

So now, if you google "Ian MacKaye skinhead", you get the other side of the story.
Quote by sargasm

eh, i saw fag a lot and i describe things i don't like as 'gay'. it doesn't mean i'm a homphobe. it's also like when i say things like "god damn it" or "what the hell". i don't believe in god or hell, it's just how i talk. although i do see your point. i think everyone (including me) should stop using those words as insults. actually, everyone should just stop insulting people all together.
Quote by <><

Yeah they can also go about completely conforming and dress the same too.
Maybe they could stop being gay while they're at it.
And maybe people without blue eyes and blonde hair could just stop that so we'd all be the same.

This is the punk forum, get used to people not conforming like sheep.
Plus, 10% of people are gay, usually someone has a gay friend, so he can get offended because his friend is being insulted. In my case, I'm not gay or easily offended, but my parents are gay.
Jizz is where it is
Page 1 of 4