So I'm decent at finger tapping, and would like to include it into my solos, but I'm unsure of how to get the best sound for the song out of it. Do you just select three notes in the key of the song for the tapping riff, or is their some method that's better to make it compliment the song more?
during solos if you sweep pick much can can add taps in there but its extremely difficult

EDIT: also i dont really know how to add it into songs well.... none of our songs have tapping riffs in them
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Well... yeah - if you can make it fit over the chord progression, it's going to sound good. It's effective and you learn how to incorporate it.

Play something like this over D5. Then maybe switch it to D5 - Bb5 - F5 - C5... whatever. (See attachment)

That's a pretty standard way to incorporate it and just stick it over a chord progression.

Maybe once you've exhausted all your linear lines and phrases, you might want to use chord fragments and bass lines with the tapping hand/s... or throw away the pick and tap chords with one hand and tap lead with the other. The possibilites are really endless.. check out 'Day At The Beach' and 'Midnight' by Joe Satriani for a few examples..
Attachments:
Tapping.JPG
Screw around with tapping until you find something that sounds good. Figure out the scale and use your new lick in a solo.

Learn the "Eruption" lick as well. That is one of the best sounding and most common tapping licks.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Screw around with tapping until you find something that sounds good. Figure out the scale and use your new lick in a solo.

Learn the "Eruption" lick as well. That is one of the best sounding and most common tapping licks.

I can play the second half (the tapping part) but I'm not good enough to play the first part yet.
Quote by TooLateForRoses
I can play the second half (the tapping part) but I'm not good enough to play the first part yet.
I mean the tapping part, but learn the whole thing while you're at it.

Anyway, the little arpeggios he does are licks that you should know and be able to whip out at any given moment.
How many fingers can you tap with?

More fingers means more possibilities, but sometimes simple is the best. Whatever helps the song I suppose!
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
How many fingers can you tap with?

More fingers means more possibilities, but sometimes simple is the best. Whatever helps the song I suppose!

I can only use my middle and index finger at the time being. I'm working on my ring finger though, but it'll probably be a month or so.
Quote by TooLateForRoses
I can only use my middle and index finger at the time being. I'm working on my ring finger though, but it'll probably be a month or so.
He was talking about multi-finger tapping, not being able to use each finger. If you're doing single finger tapping licks, it doesn't matter which finger you use.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
He was talking about multi-finger tapping, not being able to use each finger. If you're doing single finger tapping licks, it doesn't matter which finger you use.

My bad. Do you mean like doing trills whilst tapping?
Quote by TooLateForRoses
My bad. Do you mean like doing trills whilst tapping?
Multi-finger tapping is when you tap with multiple fingers on your right hand (I'm assuming you play right-handed).
My favorite way is playing tons of 6 string arpeggios and then throwing in a tap at the high e string, an octave above the last note I played, and then using my scale knowledge I descend the tap down until I reach the 113th or 12th fret, and then pull up on the arpeggio. Then I go to another position and do the same thing. Hope you get what I mean, it sounds sick if played good at 220 BPM as 16th notes
My favorite way is playing tons of 6 string arpeggios and then throwing in a tap at the high e string, an octave above the last note I played, and then using my scale knowledge I descend the tap down until I reach the 113th or 12th fret, and then pull up on the arpeggio. Then I go to another position and do the same thing. Hope you get what I mean, it sounds sick if played good at 220 BPM as 16th notes

Yeah, i'll bet
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
insideac's advice is good. if you're not familiar or comfortable with arpeggios, i'd suggest this; while fooling around through a scale or w/e, throw in a tapped octave (i.e. if you're playing an E on the A string, go up 12 frets for the octave, in this case being the 17th fret.) you can just tap and release, and also you can pick more interesting intervals such as the fourth, fifth, major/minor third, etc. Also, say you're soloing over Em C D. if you want, you can tap the triads of these chords, so E G B for Em, C E G for C, D F# A for D. This means when the Eminor chord is being played, just find an E, a G, and a B in a location easy to tap, and tap them as 16th notes or something. Finally, I would suggest learning to improv taps because it's really fun. instead of learning the box positions of your scales, try to learn scales also by string or just memorize the intervals of the scales you use and get good with the fretboard. This way if you know what intervals are coming up, what key you're in, and what note you're on, you can do ascending and descending tapping licks with no problem at all. hope that helped.
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station
Quote by insideac

i do it in almost every solo i play . i wouldnt say an octave but around 6-9 frets higher than the end note on the arp
Quote by Ace88
Yeah, i'll bet

Hah looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of their mom today

EDIT: Btw threadstarter, if you want a neat sounding tab, heres an example of what I mean.

-----------------------------12-15-20-15-14-12-14-15-20-15-14-12-14-15--
-------------------------12----------------------------------------
---------------------12-----------------------------------------------
-----------------14--------------------------------------------------
-------------14-----------------------------------------------------
--12-h-15--------------------------------------------------------
-

--20-15-12--------------------------------
---------------12----------------------------
-------------------12------------------------
-----------------------14--------------------
---------------------------14----------------
-------------------------------15-12 ~~~~

And of course to make it easier to play, and sound cooler, make it legato by making the notes on the high e string hammer ons and pull offs, and tap the 20th fret.

There you have it! A 6 string E minor arpeggio with taps. Now just use your knowledge of chords and scales and have fun !
Last edited by insideac at Sep 27, 2006,