Page 1 of 2
Who here agrees that rap isn't music???? Not only does it suck, but it takes no skill. And don't say it does until you think about it, is a poem music? Is rhyming so hard that people should be paid millions for it? NO! It's not music, and those who think it is have had it shoved into their brains that it is! Everyone against rap post here!
"No man ever won a war by dying for his country, he did so by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."
i agree...

please dont flame me :-(
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
He's 14 ... When I was his age Pluto was still a Planet . Dude, grow some balls and listen to some decent Hiphop, eg. The Roots, The Streets, Die Fantastischen Vier.
- When I was your age Pluto was still a Planet. - anonymous
Quote by milla da killa
Who here agrees that rap isn't music???? Not only does it suck, but it takes no skill. And don't say it does until you think about it, is a poem music? Is rhyming so hard that people should be paid millions for it? NO! It's not music, and those who think it is have had it shoved into their brains that it is! Everyone against rap post here!

If it takes no skill. Well I guess then everyone would be able to spit an awsome freestyle. So, if it takes no skill, why didn't you put an awsome rap up there just to re-inforce your point?

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
meh i dont listen to it by choice but when its on i dont mind it and even admit sometimes get into... (usually when drunk or stoned)
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Although it is certainly not musically superior to what most ugers consider music do not call out all rappers on their writing as simple rhyming. Although some rappers on the radio, (50 Cent, Young Joc, etc.) do use simple writing and rhyming many do not. When you can write stories as well as a Nas or Eminem i than invite you to challenge their writing skills.
Creator and Ruler of the I love Dane Cook club . PM me to join
lax brah

Derrrrrrrrr
Rap is music

This thread is unoriginal and useless
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
you're listening to the wrong stuff. Kanye West, Common, OUTKAST, Talib Kweli. rap takes a whole lot of talent, otherwise we would all be millionaires doing it. overall: you don't know what you're talking about.
although rap is music, *shudders*, it is still by far crappier than anything else

edit: the funny eminem stuff is good, but the serious stuff sucks
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Your mom isn't music.
The point is I hate what rap stands for. Money Hoes and ferraris. But Some rap I like I.E: Transplants, beastie Boys, That's it.
i agree with rap not being music, or at least I DON'T CONCIDER IT MUSIC. i must admit that it does take SOME skill, but overall, almost anyone could do it. also, i do not concider rappers as artist because: they know nothing about music (notes, chords, etc.), sing in a monotone voice, 'rap' about the same things over and over again (most being about bling bling, sluts, being 'gangstah' even if they aren't and only pretend to be one for commercial purposes, etc.), it puts women down (look at the videos...which are ALL the same), and they don't know how to play any instrument unlike most other artsts in other genres....geeze, they don't even have real instruments playing at shows, they just use computer generated noices and drum sounds.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
well i can completely see where this guy is coming from, most of the rap that is on t.v is just garbage... now im not really a big rap fan but i have heard good rap, YES I SAID GOOD RAP!
so im going to have to disaggre, not all rap is crap.
But Dad, Nick Cannon is hilarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrious
As a musician (NOT just a guitar hero) for the last 15+ years, I will tell you that rap IS music... not as a matter of opinion, but as a matter of FACT. I have written and sold rap songs... and you know what the hardest part was? coming up with the lyrics. Coming up with the music is hard, too. As a matter of fact, NONE of it was easy - actually harder than writing a guitar tune, considering. Rap is music... and if you try to deny it, just remember who told you... a guy that totally school pwns you. Save yourself the life problems, and accept the truth.
Quote by evening_crow
i agree with rap not being music, or at least I DON'T CONCIDER IT MUSIC. i must admit that it does take SOME skill, but overall, almost anyone could do it. also, i do not concider rappers as artist because: they know nothing about music (notes, chords, etc.), sing in a monotone voice, 'rap' about the same things over and over again (most being about bling bling, sluts, being 'gangstah' even if they aren't and only pretend to be one for commercial purposes, etc.), it puts women down (look at the videos...which are ALL the same), and they don't know how to play any instrument unlike most other artsts in other genres....geeze, they don't even have real instruments playing at shows, they just use computer generated noices and drum sounds.

you forgot about the "growing up in the hood" songs
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by suddenspasm
If you can't try new music, You are very close minded

uh, apparently they did try it and thought it sucked.
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
well it takes LESS skill coming up with the "HaRdXxCoRe BeAtZ" for rap, but then again the lyrics can actually take a lot of time and effort to come up with, i mean rap TODAY is crap, ill agree with that, but in the 80s rap used to not be about getting drunk at clubs and ****ing girls infested with aids
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Rap sucks. Period. All the rappers are taking over the US. Rock is America's past time, and now ****ing people walk in from Africa and make millions. How much bull**** is that? All rap sucks because all they do is talk about their fake lives. And Busta Rhymes just got away with killing someone. You're a peice of **** who has no talent and you can walk around killing someone? That's some ****ed up **** right there. I agree. Rap sucks and Rock will live forever.
Quote by SonicMessiah
As a musician (NOT just a guitar hero) for the last 15+ years, I will tell you that rap IS music... not as a matter of opinion, but as a matter of FACT. I have written and sold rap songs... and you know what the hardest part was? coming up with the lyrics. Coming up with the music is hard, too. As a matter of fact, NONE of it was easy - actually harder than writing a guitar tune, considering. Rap is music... and if you try to deny it, just remember who told you... a guy that totally school pwns you. Save yourself the life problems, and accept the truth.

you must suck at guitar. very much so
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by StevieRamone
Your mom isn't music.
The point is I hate what rap stands for. Money Hoes and ferraris. But Some rap I like I.E: Transplants, beastie Boys, That's it.

With this type of gross ignorance and the harsh generalization of a hand full of rappers that write strictly about the money aspect of the "rap life" into representing all rappers I cant see you as anything other than prejudice bastard who disregards anything you dont like as "retarted". You look up to the Ramones who even though they played their own instruments any of todays rappers could probably pick up a guitar and in 5 minutes be better musically than the Ramones. It was nothing but loud fast noise and idiotic comicly ammusing words. So to say that such simple music is better than rappers today who take time for perfecting beats and write songs that make sense i have to say it is you sir that is "retarted".

Edit: I take back calling you sir on the basis that you are probably some naive 9 year old who knows very little about the world outside of your own head.
Creator and Ruler of the I love Dane Cook club . PM me to join
lax brah

Derrrrrrrrr
Last edited by uncreative at Sep 26, 2006,
Rap is really just a bunch of people or one person singing what the last person was just singing. As you can see in music videos rap is quite repetitive, they either are about lots of money, a chain around someones neck, a that appeared in 44 videos, or . Some rappers though put time into it, Ex: . Rap really is emotions put through words, while some other genres might be through instruments, or something. But I dont like rap
Quote by uncreative
With this type of gross ignorance and the harsh generalization of a hand full of rappers that write strictly about the money aspect of the "rap life" into representing all rappers I cant see you as anything other than prejudice bastard who disregards anything you dont like as "retarted". You look up to the Ramones who even though they played their own instruments any of todays rappers could probably pick up a guitar and in 5 minutes be better musically than the Ramones. It was nothing but loud fast noise and idiotic comicly ammusing words. So to say that such simple music is better than rappers today who take time for perfecting beats and write songs that make sense i have to say it is you sir that is "retarted".

hey, the ramones suck, we all know it. not just you
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by StevieRamone
Your mom isn't music.
Rap doesn't stand for anything. It's a vocal device, for cryin out loud.
Quote by yawn
Rap doesn't stand for anything. It's a vocal device, for cryin out loud.

not sticking up for it, but rap is a crappy beat on a keyboard and singing, not just one of the two
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by josephmaio123
Rap sucks. Period. All the rappers are taking over the US. Rock is America's past time, and now ****ing people walk in from Africa and make millions. How much bull**** is that? All rap sucks because all they do is talk about their fake lives. And Busta Rhymes just got away with killing someone. You're a peice of **** who has no talent and you can walk around killing someone? That's some ****ed up **** right there. I agree. Rap sucks and Rock will live forever.

All rappers arent black you douche.
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
Quote by ATLBraves2014
All rappers arent black you douche.

name one besides eminem and jamie kennedy
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by *kill'emall*
name one besides eminem and jamie kennedy
Uh...Vanilla Ice and the Beastie Boys?

Plus I saw a guy on BET who looked almost identical to Eminem (but he wasn't him, so he counts as well). And...Mike Shinoda

Quote by *kill'emall*
not sticking up for it, but rap is a crappy beat on a keyboard and singing, not just one of the two
Please, there are tons of great to amazing hip hop beats out there.

I'd like to see you construct as beat as poignant as Eminem's Rock Bottom (which is a good example of sampling, btw).

For an example of one not-sampled, Squaredance is just about as funky as it gets
Quote by *kill'emall*
you must suck at guitar. very much so

Go to my page. www.myspace.com/sonicmessiah

Listen to the first song, 'Brianna'.

NOW tell me I suck at guitar, ass. You would be incorrect in doing so. Let me see something YOU wrote. If it is one thing that rattles me, it is punk kids like you questioning authority.
Quote by SonicMessiah
Go to my page. www.myspace.com/sonicmessiah

Listen to the first song, 'Brianna'.

NOW tell me I suck at guitar, ass. You would be incorrect in doing so. Let me see something YOU wrote. If it is one thing that rattles me, it is punk kids like you questioning authority.

so you don't suck at guitar. who says you have authority to question?

*rattle rattle rattle*

and btw, all the other songs suck
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Last edited by *kill'emall* at Sep 26, 2006,
Quote by yawn
Uh...Vanilla Ice and the Beastie Boys?

Plus I saw a guy on BET who looked almost identical to Eminem (but he wasn't him, so he counts as well). And...Mike Shinoda

Please, there are tons of great to amazing hip hop beats out there.

I'd like to see you construct as beat as poignant as Eminem's Rock Bottom (which is a good example of sampling, btw).

For an example of one not-sampled, Squaredance is just about as funky as it gets

never said i could dumbass, and i honestly don't give a rat's ass about how funky you think squaredance is
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Um.... anyone who has been playing as long as I have and done the things I have done is in great position of authority over people with less credentials in the same field... the same as in ANY profession.
Quote by *kill'emall*
never said i could dumbass, and i honestly don't give a rat's ass about how funky you think squaredance is
Well if it's so easy, and you can't even do that, then are you just retarded or what?

And your apathy towards how good a beat is doesn't mean shit - I could just as easily brush off one of your favorite riffs or solos. No substance behind that, now is there?
Quote by yawn
Well if it's so easy, and you can't even do that, then are just retarded or what?

And your apathy towards how good a beat is doesn't mean shit - I could just as easily brush off one of your favorite riffs or solos. No substance behind that, now is there?

i never said it was easy, cock, i said it was crappy. and coming from a guy who likes rap, i don't really care what your opinion on anything is
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by SonicMessiah
Um.... anyone who has been playing as long as I have and done the things I have done is in great position of authority over people with less credentials in the same field... the same as in ANY profession.

what's your point? you have authority over people on an internet forum?
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Heh... can't say nothin' to me now, can u boy? Lol! won't be long b4 ur banned from here, too. I was saying.. 'Respect those that school you, or else they call you on it and you look like an ass'. My opinion should be more highly valued than that of your average high-school metal head. Would you rather ask a law professor about law, or your local crook?0 same comparison here. I am steak - you are hamburger. Just remember that.
Last edited by SonicMessiah at Sep 26, 2006,
Quote by SonicMessiah
Heh... can't say nothin' to me now, can u boy? Lol! won't be long b4 ur banned from here, too.

i believe i'm saying something to you now. why don't you go molest your kids like your dad did to you? maybe write a rap about it?
Quote by Duane_Allman
Quote by Twist of fate
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by *kill'emall*
i believe i'm saying something to you now. why don't you go molest your kids like your dad did to you? maybe write a rap about it?

Might make a good metal song... I beleive Korn already broached that subject...
I'd like to see you rap along to "No Surrender" by Bone Thugs N Harmony.

Music is an art, entertainment, or other human activity that involves organized and audible sound

I'm pretty sure that incorporates rap, you close-minded fool.

Like Mike Myers said, why is it that beat poetry is an art form but rap isn't?
#DTWD
Page 1 of 2