ok..

when i like alternate pick really fast on one string...i get caught sometimes...like...when i come up...sometimes i like get caught in the string...like im takingt he string with my pick...and itll mess everything up..im learning forever by as i lay dying....and..sometimes my arm will do the picking instead of my wrist..

are there any pointers that will help me fix these probs?
How long have you been playing?
Quote by MastaBassist10
Run around the city jacking off in random places... and when you cum, jump out at people and yell "SURPRISE!" Then walk away calmly as if nothing had happened. That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote by Unofficial
Jackusaureles, You're now my favorite UGer.
well for the arm doing the picking instead of your wrist, try resting your palm on your guitar and then doing it. and for the the getting caught..i know you dont wanna hear this but..just practice practice practice.
Last edited by bambi_slaughter at Sep 26, 2006,
start painstakingly slow and work your way up w/ a metronome
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
what pick you use? lighter thinner picks make it much easier to pick fast. pick bends over the string instead of catching it
Yeah, without the sarcasm, sorry, I actually find it easier to pick fast with a heavier gauge because they can be much easier to control. Light picks will drag along the strings and get caught pretty often.
You are going to fast, another words you are getting ahead of your playing ability. Keep the same motion your doing at a fast speed and just slow it down. Work on picking notes down the same string and then move on to jumping strings still at a slow speed. Once you can do that fairly well pick slow and then speed up really fast then go back to slow and then fast again all within about 5 seconds. DOing those short burst really helped me get better quicker, but the only cure I found for the catching thing was to slow down and practice through it.

Don't worry it's a common problem :P, just keep trucking.
I turn to the pick side ways when i alternative pick so i see the pick like this |
Dimebag Is God!!!!

President Of The Official Dimebag Darrell Fan Club
PM Me to Join

Member #28 of the Official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
Quote by donkeypunch
what pick you use? lighter thinner picks make it much easier to pick fast. pick bends over the string instead of catching it

I would say the opposite is true. Because the pick DOES bend over the string in a light gauge pick it means you have to move more and put more effort into your playing than you would if you had a heavier gauge. I used to think it was easier with a light gauge but it's only easier because your technique is bad. A heavier pick is much better for fast stuff. Look into any guy who plays fast and see what picks they're using. Guaranteed they're using Jazz III's or something similar, anything 1.00mm and up.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
if you get caught in the string, you might be holdin the pick too far back, i used to do that i would get caught on the strings all the time. try "choking up" on the pick i guess u should say. same principal as choking up on a baseball bat i guess
Trivium, Shadows Fall, Metallica, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying

My Gear -
Fernandes Montery X, Fender Standard Fat Strat, Crate GT212 120watt amp, Dunlop Heil Talkbox, Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Pedal, Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer Pedal
if you hold the pick in a diagonal direction instead of parallel to the strings, then it'll never get caught in the string. i always do that with songs that i gotta pick fast in one string like "ozzy osbourne - i dont know" or power metal songs
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by teamzaius
I would say the opposite is true. Because the pick DOES bend over the string in a light gauge pick it means you have to move more and put more effort into your playing than you would if you had a heavier gauge. I used to think it was easier with a light gauge but it's only easier because your technique is bad. A heavier pick is much better for fast stuff. Look into any guy who plays fast and see what picks they're using. Guaranteed they're using Jazz III's or something similar, anything 1.00mm and up.

Yup. i hate the jazz III (why they are SO famous? i found them in spain, they are here in israel, and i'd bet that they are even in the north pole) because they are VERY small
But heavy gauge bigger picks rule. like the fender premium picks (heavy gauge)

or the steve vai signature picks (too bad i cant find them in my local music store. they were my favourites though the fender picks are as good as the steve vai signature ones)
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

i recommend basically what the other people have said, use thick picks (i prefer dunlop tortex) and use the tips of the pick, if you put too much pick in the attack you'll have to basically apply more pressure and put more motion into the pick to move it over the string, also play from your wrist, not your arm to build up speed and accuracy. theres a thread a page or 2 back about "machine gunning" which might be helpful to you.