Poll: Which?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which?
Down pick
10 34%
Alternate
19 66%
Voters: 29.
Im sitting here learning like light to flies and i was wondering. For the open riff:

l-------------------------------------------------------
l10-----8------7-----5------7----8-----------------------------
l----00----00----00----00----0----0-------------------------------

Would i alternate or just down pick that. I originally just down picked that but it sort of goes SMOOTH or seems like a second nature when i alternate. I think i should alternate. What should i do?
Quote by MastaBassist10
Run around the city jacking off in random places... and when you cum, jump out at people and yell "SURPRISE!" Then walk away calmly as if nothing had happened. That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote by Unofficial
Jackusaureles, You're now my favorite UGer.
yeah. Alternate pick is the best for that. Unless your james hetfield with abnormal down picking abilities. And, can someone tell me what economic picking is?
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
i thought that was the same as alternate.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Run around the city jacking off in random places... and when you cum, jump out at people and yell "SURPRISE!" Then walk away calmly as if nothing had happened. That's what I would do, anyway.

Quote by Unofficial
Jackusaureles, You're now my favorite UGer.
I would play the higher notes with a downstroke and do a down-up motion on the open strings.

Sort of, down, down, up, down, down, up sort of thing.

Thats just me though.
I think alternate picking, personally, would be much easier for that riff. Go for alternate picking.
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
And, can someone tell me what economic picking is?

Econmising your picking movement. Instead of strict alternate picking, the most economic path (that is, the path that encourages momentum) is retained - which decreases the distance your picking hand travels.

So instead of a strict alternate picking pattern where every stroke is upstroke, downstroke... you'd economise the movement by applying the required stroke where it's more economical.

Something like this, where you'd apply economy picking instead of a strict alternate picking pattern. (Of course, it depends what dynamic approach and sound you want).

Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
yeah. Alternate pick is the best for that. Unless your james hetfield with abnormal down picking abilities. And, can someone tell me what economic picking is?

Economic picking is exactly what it sounds like, it's economising each stroke, meaning instead of adhering to the standard of alternate picking to quarter note triplets and faster, you pick to what is advantageous.
^^exactly.. it should come naturally.. experiment with it.. try speeding up and you will find that you need Eco picking
ok..i ondt like guitar lingo...so is economic picking just doing what feels right??, cause thats how i pick everything
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
Quote by travis__002
ok..i ondt like guitar lingo...so is economic picking just doing what feels right??, cause thats how i pick everything

It's a mixture of upstrokes, downstrokes, sweeps, etc. It's the way to play it where your wrist moves as little as possible, helpful if it's a fast part.

Slightly offtopic now, but is the beginning of the number of the beast alternate picked or all downstroked? You know, the part that's something like this:

----------------------------------
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------
----------4---5----7----7-----7--
--5-5-5---5----5---5-5--5-5----
-------------------------------------

Right now I play it basically with everything on the A string a downstroke and everything on the D string an upstroke but I'm just wondering how it's played.
Personally I alternate pick for almost everything
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
It all depends on your style, I always alternate pick usually, and I know people who always down pick, and my drummer plays guitar on the side ( ) , and he always upward picks

But if you think alternate picking sounds the best, then alternate pick it.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
i am currently learning the same song and to me, alternate picking makes it alot easier...
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
For any rhythm i've ever played i've always done it in downstrokes, and if i have to alternate pick...it has to be triplets, or any blast beat with a denominator of 3. Lead guitar or trem picking obviously i have to use alternate picking.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
definately alternative picking... unless you want your and going at mach 4
I play it downpicking and I can keep up with the song but it sure is exhausting..
I'll try alternating and see if it's any easier.
#57 of the Alter Bridge Fan Club
i down pick, its one of the first songs I ever tried to learn (stil can't do it now) and I heard Trivium downpick that song as well
when you're using pedal notes on the lower strings i naturally have to downpick, its just a case of the person and what kind of sound your trying to put across, i know i can alternate pick all the riffs i do, but i just prefer the punchiness that you get from downpicking.