what would be the best alterenative to a tube amp. i know tube amps sound awesome, and nothing else will get that awesome tone, but i want to get something that can get a good sound that is solid state/modelling/maybe even hybrid. one option i was looking at was running a line6 pod into a cab or something like that. what are some other options and reccomendations for some good ss amps?

edit: what would my me-50 through a PA sound like?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
There. Is. No. Alternative.

But if you really must go SS, a pod into a SS poweramp into a cab should be fine.

edit: Me-50 through a PA will sound like 10 kinds of ass...you really need a dedicated guitar cab, or at the very least some speaker sim (like on a Pod.)
Well, the only SS amp I would ever want to play through is the Randall Warhead, one of my favorite amps.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Quote by stringmagician
why don't you want a tube amp?

basically, reliability. unless you can give me a really really reliable decent priced tube amp
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
basically, reliability. unless you can give me a really really reliable decent priced tube amp

Ok, reliability.... umm if you buy an old tube amp it will be hand wired, and if hand wired breaks it is way cheeper and easier to fix as well as a computer made circuitboard is more delicate. so really the tube amp is more reailiable.
Quote by FrenchBread
Ok, reliability.... umm if you buy an old tube amp it will be hand wired, and if hand wired breaks it is way cheeper and easier to fix as well as a computer made circuitboard is more delicate. so really the tube amp is more reailiable.

Ease of repair doesn't equal reliability. That's like saying a classic car is more reliable because it has less technology than a brand new Honda Accord.
Hi, I'm Peter
my guitar teacher, a few of his friends, and my dads friend who tours around louisiana and some other states have all switched to solid state amps cuz they have all had reliability issues with tube amps. and ive had some issues with my tube amp also.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You own a low end tube amp. That's to be expected. I have a good one and I haven't even had to change tubes in 7 years. And tube problems doesn't necessarily mean reliability issues, unless something is wrong with the circuitry causing your tubes to blow.
Hi, I'm Peter
well i kind of expected it cuz my amp is really old and i got it for 100 dollars. good deal huh lol. but ill probably look into a better tube amp. do you think a traynor ycv40wr or a ycv50blue or something be more reliable?

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
DUDE, 5150's are teh pwnage, They have been known to work after being dropped down stairs easy 450$ on ebay for 120 tube combo and the best (non-botique) tube amp EVER.
My 2 cents
Get a new tube amp if you're having issues with it or get it repaired, so what if a few peoples have had issues? It's worth it for the tone.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
alright. thanks guys. i think ill just save up for a while and try to get a nice tube amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
yeah tube amps can be fairly reliable, (but never as reliable as a good SS) but yeah if you still dont want a tube i suggest you look for a good SS amp, like a high end randall or something. Unfortunately really good SS amps are hard to find because guitarists in genneral seemed to be obsessed with tube amps and very close minded about SS, even though there are SS amps out there that sound great, so not many companies really take the time to develop a truly good SS amp.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
A good tube amp will be just as reliable as a solid state amp. If you take care of a tube amp, it will last you forever, barring the occasional tube change. It's a bit of a hassel dealing with tubes, but it's worth it for the better tone.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Tube Preamp or solid state preamp (Carvin Tone Navigator) ->poweramp ->cab.

I bought an ADA MP1 Mod4 MKII tube preamp not too long ago, couldn't be happier with it.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
A good tube amp will be just as reliable as a solid state amp. If you take care of a tube amp, it will last you forever, barring the occasional tube change. It's a bit of a hassel dealing with tubes, but it's worth it for the better tone.

itll come close, but tube amps are more sensitive to things like climate and whatnot, that can have a negative effect of performance regardless of how well you take care of it. So they arent quite as reliable but they can get pretty close.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^^^ exactly tubes are effected by shifts in humidity coming in from the cold to a heated building so they arent as reliable, now for the TS ive played a few good SS amps that did the trick the Line 6 Flextone II is an amazing and loud SS amp, along with some of the higher end randalls, and some of the 80s randalls i played that had the marshall plexi look had an amazing sound for SS, just stay away from crate, b52(SS amps), marshall(hybrids, overpriced) and Spider IIs
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
i just bought a laney hc50 for $95 not too long ago because i like a tube amp, but i wanted a backup because of some issues that ive had etc. and it sounds really good. i was really close minded about ss because the only ones i ever played were the little practice amps. but the laney sounds awesome. and now ive been looking around trying to find some good ss amps. sorry for subject change, but going back to tubes what do you guys think of traynor amps?

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Dirk Gently
Ease of repair doesn't equal reliability. That's like saying a classic car is more reliable because it has less technology than a brand new Honda Accord.

If you read what i wrote you would understand that, that is not what I am saying. I am saying cricuit boards are less reliable NOT BECAUSE OF TECHNOLOGY but because of they way they are made and mechined by computers. They break easier when dropped or jolted.
Quote by FrenchBread
If you read what i wrote you would understand that, that is not what I am saying. I am saying cricuit boards are less reliable NOT BECAUSE OF TECHNOLOGY but because of they way they are made and mechined by computers. They break easier when dropped or jolted.

I had better call NASA and tell them to immediately STOP using those circuit boards and go back to hand wiring all of the Space shuttle computers! Having been an electronics engineer since 1990, I can tell you that the traces on a circuit board rarely fail. It is usually the component on the board that fails and even more often, the power supply circuit. If the trace on the board does fail, it is typically due to an overload of the power supply circuit causing excesive current to flow through the trace essentially melting it. The same thing can happen to a handwired circuit. Depending on how many layers the circuit board has, it can be repaired just as easy as a handwired circuit. Multilayer boards (which are not typical in simple circuits such as a guitar amp) are another story. The whole board needs to be replaced. Just to clarify, circuits that get dropped and jolted are almost always circuit boards due to the fact that the wires don't sway and flex causing breaking. I would be far more concerned with the tubes failing during shock rather than the circuit board. Just my .02 p.s. - Handwired amps are nothing more than marketing hype. There is no benefit to handwired amps.