Page 1 of 3
So my science teacher had us all come up with a theory for homework, and my theory was:
If we could travel faster than light, and go to a star X light years away, that we could see earth in the past with an extremely powerful telescope.
Reason: Light from stars takes time to get to earth, so if we could travel faster than that light, we could see earth from a distant place in the past.
do you think that this theory works? we are graded on possibility.
That works, but as far as actually reversing time, I don't think it's a possibility.
DRM, it's killing music.
dont call it time travel call it phil and jed's sexitlent adventure
Quote by esther_mouse
...bingo. signaturisation. like burnination, only even more flamey.

Worth listening to
Well, we're seeing the stars you're referring to as they were many, many years ago. Because of the time it takes for light to travel, of course. So, I suppose it's possible in theory, but don't count on it actually happenning in your life time.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
jsut use the one from the paycheck movie, actually now that i think about that its seeing the future, but close enough...

Originally Posted by grungefan89
Geeze, why don't you just give the kid a pistol to shoot at his head? Telling someone to go buy a B.C. Rich - and on a budget - is like giving someone a gun and telling them to commit suicide.
Quote by Eric 666
It wont happen...the Govt. in the USA is too ****ty for that ATM.

That doesn't even relate to what he's asking.
He's asking if it's THEORETICALLY POSSIBLE, not will the US cough up money to do it.
Spiral Out
My friend once said he could make it possile with corn and a book on physics
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
It's not time travel, it's just traveling faster than time per quo... Kinda hard to explain; I don't consider it actually traveling back in time. If you traveled back in time, you would theoretically because younger, which wouldn't happen in this theory. You are simply traveling faster than light, therefore being able to see what the earth looked like at the precise moment you left it.

Also, another cool thing to think about:

If you were to look behind you while traveling faster than light, what would you see? Nothing? Or if you were to look into a mirror at that speed. What does a mirror look like with no reflection? ... Crazy stuff!
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34
It's not time travel, it's just traveling faster than time per quo... Kinda hard to explain; I don't consider it actually traveling back in time. If you traveled back in time, you would theoretically because younger, which wouldn't happen in this theory. You are simply traveling faster than light, therefore being able to see what the earth looked like at the precise moment you left it.
Yeah, but he's not talking about time travel; just seeing the earth as it was in the past.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
I believe you put way to much effort into that. Good job though, you beat my motivation level in Science by 100%. If I were the teacher, I'd give you an A just because I woudln't want to take the time to prove it wrong.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Yeah, but he's not talking about time travel; just seeing the earth as it was in the past.

Oh... Right! I mis-read the question.

Yes, I believe that the theory would work. 100% sure it would work actually, if a human being could withstand the speed of light...
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by flyingjew34

Also, another cool thing to think about:

If you were to look behind you while traveling faster than light, what would you see? Nothing? Or if you were to look into a mirror at that speed. What does a mirror look like with no reflection? ... Crazy stuff!

The mirror would look silver
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
The mirror would look silver

Really, everything beyond your direct line of sight would look black...

How do you know a mirror is silver though? What if it really isn't?
- FJ

Quote by flyingjew34

Are you trying to pull some Matrix speak?
Quote by Spamwise
You can't go faster then the speed of light.
In theory, man. "If it were possible..."
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
Quote by flyingjew34

If there was no reflection then it would be silver

The mirror isn't completely silver, it has a silver finish on it. I saw it on the Discovery channel one day ( I was bored). I forget exactly how its made, but it should look silver
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

you arent seeing the earth in the past, you are seeing earth as it was when you left it, because the light that hit earth in the past has already made it to earth. you would i guess technically be seeing the earth in the past because the earth you would see would be the earth you left as you went light speed, and that would be the past earth now, but we couldnt see lincoln or anything.
Quote by Metal-X
If there was no reflection then it would be silver

The mirror isn't completely silver, it has a silver finish on it. I saw it on the Discovery channel one day ( I was bored). I forget exactly how its made, but it should look silver

Maybe, but you never really see what color it is because it's a constant reflection of the world around it. The only colors you see in a mirror are the colors of the reflection of its surroundings. (That's not redundant... ) Anyway, I'm saying there isn't a way to really describe what color the substance is. Unless I'm just way fucking retarded and completely missing the point...
- FJ

I agree with drevil814. At this point, our technology is nowhere near what it needs to be to get us to move faster than light, but I do think that it is possible in theory.

"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by Spamwise
You can't go faster then the speed of light.

That may not be entirely true. And besides, you don't have to.

In order to accommplish this theory, you must reach a certain area in space before light from our earth gets to that point. However, if we could somehow learn to manually curve spacetime, the idea of travelling beyond the speed of light would be unneccesary.

For example, say an ant was walking from one side of a piece of paper to the other. The paper is lying flat on the desk. (This piece of paper is a 2-d representation of our 4-d world.) Instead of walking all the way across, if we curved the paper so that the end he was walking towards was now touching the point where he started, he could reach the end instantly. Technically, we could travel at an infinite speed.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
you arent seeing the earth in the past, you are seeing earth as it was when you left it, because the light that hit earth in the past has already made it to earth. you would i guess technically be seeing the earth in the past because the earth you would see would be the earth you left as you went light speed, and that would be the past earth now, but we couldnt see lincoln or anything.

It would be the light coming off of earth that counts, if you could go faster than that, you would be able to see light from the past.
Quote by claptonfan55
I agree with drevil814. At this point, our technology is nowhere near what it needs to be to get us to move faster than light, but I do think that it is possible in theory.

Well, if you traveled the speed of light, I believe you pull more G's than the body can withstand. I could do the math, but I'm not in school...

And what Tab-O-Rama just said makes sense, but delving into the 4th dimension can be tricky, seeing as how we can't physically comprehend it...
- FJ

sTEPHEN hAWKINS ' a BRIEF hISTORY oF tIME'

(sorry, caps was on can't be arsed to re write)

That theory you explained was from it. Interesting stuff.

I'm a bit rusty on this subject, but here goes...

The faster you travel, the slower time goes.

Therefore, if you travel fast enough, and for long enough, you will age slower then everyone on earth. (eg 1 year for you in space at light speed = 15 years on earth)

So if it were possible to travel this quick, it is possible. Theoretically to go forward) As for going back, that's a different story. It's not really time travel, it's just relative measures of time differing.

The looking back thing is also theoretically possible, but all you'd be doing is looking back on stuff that happened since you left.
Quote by Tab-O-rama
That may not be entirely true. And besides, you don't have to.

In order to accommplish this theory, you must reach a certain area in space before light from our earth gets to that point. However, if we could somehow learn to manually curve spacetime, the idea of travelling beyond the speed of light would be unneccesary.

For example, say an ant was walking from one side of a piece of paper to the other. The paper is lying flat on the desk. (This piece of paper is a 2-d representation of our 4-d world.) Instead of walking all the way across, if we curved the paper so that the end he was walking towards was now touching the point where he started, he could reach the end instantly. Technically, we could travel at an infinite speed.

wormholes!!! have you read a brief history of time?
Quote by slashtobe
sTEPHEN hAWKINS ' a BRIEF hISTORY oF tIME'

(sorry, caps was on can't be arsed to re write)

That theory you explained was from it. Interesting stuff.

I'm a bit rusty on this subject, but here goes...

The faster you travel, the slower time goes.

Therefore, if you travel fast enough, and for long enough, you will age slower then everyone on earth. (eg 1 year for you in space at light speed = 15 years on earth)

So if it were possible to travel this quick, it is possible. Theoretically to go forward) As for going back, that's a different story. It's not really time travel, it's just relative measures of time differing.

The looking back thing is also theoretically possible, but all you'd be doing is looking back on stuff that happened since you left.

Meh, Einstein came up with that theory first... I don't believe in it personally for whatever reason. I don't like thinking in the mindset that time is the 4th dimension...
- FJ

In a way this makes sense, but in a way it doesn't. You may travel as fast as light, but that time you took was instantaneous. You would see the world light year later as opposed to our fasted travel time.

(proving my point) BURN!
Quote by flyingjew34
Meh, Einstein came up with that theory first... I don't believe in it personally for whatever reason. I don't like thinking in the mindset that time is the 4th dimension...

Time isn't anything, it's something human's created, but it doesn't actually exist.
Quote by slashtobe
wormholes!!! have you read a brief history of time?

a bit, i never got to reading the end
Quote by flyingjew34
Maybe, but you never really see what color it is because it's a constant reflection of the world around it. The only colors you see in a mirror are the colors of the reflection of its surroundings. (That's not redundant... ) Anyway, I'm saying there isn't a way to really describe what color the substance is. Unless I'm just way fucking retarded and completely missing the point...

Its a highly polished silver, (or bronze) coating with a protectant coat to keep the finish. Anyway it is what it is, just cause you can't tell doesn't mean it isn't

Silver as in the material used (which happens to be the color... silver)
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Like drevil said, in theory it would work but since we can't go faster than light it's impossible. Although perhaps utilizing wormholes in the future it could be pulled off.
You will find me as cute as your favourite nephew
Until I break your knees with a baseball bat
You will find me so kind, I'll be someone you like
Until I brush your teeth with a razorblade
Quote by stormchaser
Like drevil said, in theory it would work but since we can't go faster than light it's impossible. Although perhaps utilizing wormholes in the future it could be pulled off.

Why is it impossible to go faster than light?
Quote by i'm a noob
Why is it impossible to go faster than light?

The G-force alone would kill you, not to mention the resistence on your body would rip it to shreds
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by flyingjew34

You'd see a void of dark matter because the light wouldn't be fast enough to reach your eyes.

In reply to the threadstarter, my friends and I have talked about that before. And yes, in theory, it's a 100% possibility that you'd see the past. Although you'd probably need to pick a distance several hundred or thousand light years away in order to see very far into the past.

If you're interested in this, there's a lot of websites that deal with theories of light, and related stuff. There was one that I read a couple years ago that was amazing (but by now I've forgotten it, sorry). It outlined a scientist's experiment to measure light in particles and waves, along with some other stuff about light from a distant star bending around other stars so that the light that went around one side of the star got here at a different time than light from another, so that when it went supernova, it seemed as if 2 different stars were going off in the same vicinity about 9 months apart. Anyway, it used to be that light was either a particle or a wave, and the rules regarding light changed depending on which you were measuring. A scientist discovered that light is BOTH a particle AND a wave simultaneously, along with a kind of plasma. I'd go further into it, but it's been a long time, and I've forgotten.

Quote by Metal-X
The G-force alone would kill you, not to mention the resistence on your body would rip it to shreds

That may not be true, depending on the rate of acceleration. The most easily noticable G-forces are those that occur when there is a sudden shift, like going from 1 G to 2 or 3 Gs in a few fractions of a second. However, if the rate of acceleration was slow enough, and the passenger was properly equiped, the body might be able to adapt enough in order to survive the pressure.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Last edited by musicianamedave at Sep 26, 2006,
Quote by i'm a noob
Time isn't anything, it's something human's created, but it doesn't actually exist.

Time is actually what the universe is made of (theoretically). Going back to the wormhole example with an ant and a piece of paper, the piece of paper is what represents time.
Page 1 of 3