does anyone know any free guitar software for PCs? i want to be able to plug my guitar into my computer and have effects and use it as an amplifire
I have everything you need for this, but its going to be a fairly big reply. Give me a day or so and ill get back to you on this.

If you want to work it out for yourself then download Krystal (audio recording software), then do a search for VST Guitar Plugins (Hellian free amp se is good, but hard to find nowadays) for the Guitar VST Plugins you should find amp sims, stompboxes etc. Look for free VST plugins, there are comercial plugins that you have to play for (i.e i use Amplitube and Nomad which both cost a fairly serious sum of money).

Load Krystal and then run the VST Plugins through Krystal. You might get a latency problem, if you do not have an AISO compatable audio interface (i.e. you have an AC97 soundcard) then you will need to download AISO4ALL(free) and then open krystal's audio setup controls (which allows you to use AISO4ALL within krystal) and lower your buffer size and increase your sample rate (aim for a latency of 3-4ms)
Last edited by Prk Marshall at Sep 27, 2006,
Native Instrument Guitar Rig is pretty awesome. It costs about $500, which is a lot, but for that you get tons of modeled amps, cab/mic setups, and pretty much every effect in existance. It also comes with a pedal board.

You could download it off bittorrent of course, but it might be hard to find a torrent than comes with that pedal board...
I agree Guitar Rig 2 is awsome, i had Guitar Rig and then upgraded to Guitar Rig 2. But at $500 its a fairly heavy purchase.

This guy wants to use his PC as an amp, so im guessing he has no money for an amp. If he dont got no dough for an amp then he aint gonna have the 500 schmakaroonies he needs for GR2. I know you could download GR2 illegally, but is this forum a place to condone piracy? Plus the illegal download of GR2 doesnt provide acess to the updates, and without a couple of the updates the program may develop some problems.

So if money is the issue then go with my sugestion above, download Krystal + free VST Plugins and then go for it.
thanks for the responses, the reason i want to use my computer as an amp is because i am in college and it would be much easier, plus i cant play loud anywase
Quote by MetalMan22
does anyone know any free guitar software for PCs? i want to be able to plug my guitar into my computer and have effects and use it as an amplifire

whats an "amplifire"..? hehe, just kidding.
i dont have software fx though... i have cakewalk and gp5 and fruityloops...

dont you think using your pc instead of a practice amp would be expensive in terms of power consumption???
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.