Hey, I'm guitarist in a band and we're learning some songs to play in front of our whole school. When we were first starting out learning the songs I taught them to my other friend who is also a guitarist. Now he thinks he's going to play it with us in the performance. (he's kind of crap at guitar) This guy's my best friend, so how should I tell him without getting him really pissed at me?

Co-Founder of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM me or TechnicolorBoy to join.

My music --> Check it out!
But he thinks he is in the band. That's why he'd get really pissed off. Plus he used to be in the band when we all really sucked. But the band stopped playing for a while, and when we reformed, he didn't get any better, but everyone else did.

Co-Founder of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM me or TechnicolorBoy to join.

My music --> Check it out!
tell him he's not in the band. And then tell him he can't play w/ you cuz he's not in the band.
if he sucks tell him he plain sucks
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by SonicMessiah
tell him he's not in the band. And then tell him he can't play w/ you cuz he's not in the band.

what a great creative solution!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
tell him if he wants to play maybe he should practise a little more??

or

just say that this gig is really important and that you dont want anything to go wrong... cos the band feels that way..

or

Dude, you suck.. practise pls.. (hes your friend right? he should understand..AHaHahaHA)
Quote by batman123
what a great creative solution!

Well, it isn't supposed to be creative. Music is a business, cut and dry. The way I described is the only real way out. To do anything else would be immature and pointless.
"we have different musical interests"

friends are friends, doesnt mean u hafta like the same music and play together

LIE and say ur into playing bryan adams and old avril lavigne
and call old avril lavigne "old skool"
pretend ur playing avril for the school performance so he wont like it
I don't know if you can tell him he can't play w/out hurting his feelings. You may just have to tell him straight up.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton