hey everyone... i have bought an incomplete Jackson PS-1 guitar & it is missing a few parts, including the floyd rose unit. i am looking to rebuild the guitar as a mini-project and have been looking on ebay for a reasonably priced floyd rose unit.

has anyone had any experience with the 'licenced' ones available? what should i look out for?

thanks for any info..
my ibanez has a liscenced floyd rose, with a little tweaking it stays in tune pretty good despite heavy divebombs and whatnot, just i found that the knife edges marred up really fast, other than that ive had no problems. just be warned that with the floyd rose or similar floating tremolo's you must be patient, very very patient, cuz until you get used to them it will seem difficult to set up, and a pain in the ass to switch tunings, like going from standard to drop d and whatnot and youll have to fiddle with the springs alot to keep the bridge baseplate parallel to the guitars top, once u get used to it its becomes easier but until then you really have to be patient

EDIT: another sweet little trick i learned from a fellow UGer(cant remember who sorry) to keep it staying in tune when using the tremolo heavily, and to extend the life of your knife edges is to apply vasaline to the knife edges, also when re stringing make sure the knife edges are properly lined up in thier grooves before tightening the strings as you will marr them up something fierce (lol can you tell i had a lot of problems with my knife edges?)
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
Last edited by Stratmaster69 at Sep 26, 2006,
If you're going to get a licensed FR for your Jackson I'd suggest a Schaller or go for the real deal with an OFR. An Ibanez trem won't find without alot of modification, and with the Schaller/OFR you're going to need a 37 mm sustain block (if it doesn't have one already, I think most come with a 42 mm) if your cavity is recessed.
Quote by Stratmaster69
EDIT: another sweet little trick i learned from a fellow UGer(cant remember who sorry) to keep it staying in tune when using the tremolo heavily, and to extend the life of your knife edges is to apply vasaline to the knife edges, also when re stringing make sure the knife edges are properly lined up in thier grooves before tightening the strings as you will marr them up something fierce (lol can you tell i had a lot of problems with my knife edges?)

yeah vasaline is good, but the guy on ibanez rules says chapstick is better, i tried that and it is really good
Quote by Diamond Dave
yeah vasaline is good, but the guy on ibanez rules says chapstick is better, i tried that and it is really good

come to think of it, ya that makes sense seeing as how vasaline is pretty much just a really thick liquid, and chapstick is more of a wax that would coat it better and not wear off or dry out as fast, lol plus it smells like cherries!!
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400