cant decide between these two guitars, can somebody lend an opinion?

s470- zr trem, same neck as the rgt, but i dont really like the way it looks...but thats just in pictures. i havent seen actual pictures of it, or seen it live. 22 frets compared to the rgt's 24, bolt on compared to neck thru, but it has a zr trem which is apparently very good.

RGT42dxfx- neck through rgt.....24 fret wizard ii neck (same as the s470) but no trem, but hey i dont really need one either, its just for convenience purposes if i did itd be not there. visually looks a bit more boring than the s470, but i like this one because its a neck through and mahogany...and 24 frets

tough call here....help please?
heck im gettin my s470 soon... WoooHooo!!... maybe you could get the RGT then we could discuss and bitch about why we shouldnt have gotten them,..haha..
nahh im kiddin.. to help make your decision, a simple choice..

Joe Satriani, or Steve Vai.. U CHOOSE!!...haha!!

oh yea.. i chose the s470 cos i liked the look for one i dont really much favour RG designs...secondly, i didnt need the extra 2 frets, then i thought getting a trem and a whammy bar would be cool cos i was using a Les Paul copy all this while.. Emm, i think its pretty worth the money you pay, and i heard the Mahogany wood is really much lighter on the S470, but still gives me that heavier tone... plus i play Joe Satriani type music (strong melodies).. thats it!! peace!
Last edited by xtopher_aaron at Sep 27, 2006,
They make an RGT42DX with a trem, if that's gonna be the deciding factor. There's also a version with a flamed maple top in transparent lavender (also with a trem). Personally, the more options I have the better, so I'm probably gonna get an RGT43DX next spring or something (maple, walnut, and mahognay construction). The trem is an Edge Pro II, and I haven't actually played one, but I intend to find one to play.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Hey man i have an ibanez rgt42dx for sale if your interested? in perfect condition practically unplayed
The RGT42DX also has a 5 position pickup switch, to get single coil sounds as well as humbucker sounds.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

It is a hard call because you don't have to have a trem. or the 2 frets really. I am going to get a S470DXMCN after I save for an amp. If you haven't played them then go to a Guitar Center, or whatever is nearby and try them both. I would get the S470 because I want atrem and it'd be lighter. I've played a couple RG's and I wasn't really impresed with any but I playe dan S something and it seemed better overall.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
I think this will be the deciding factor.....

Post here if your interested
Quote by Used666
Hey man i have an ibanez rgt42dx for sale if your interested? in perfect condition practically unplayed

Uhmn, if that was directed at me, then sorry. We may or may not live in the same area, and I need to play it first. I could end up getting something else (my next choice would probably be an ESP LTD MH400). Plus, I'm not in position to buy anything at the moment xD

Stupid name.

Used666: No problem :P I figured it might have been. But just out of curiosity, why are you selling it?

Stupid name.

hahaha thanks used666...but i need to make some more judgment. hows the trem arm on that? i heard its a bit sub-par....overall the guitar looks great though. i want to play it before i make my decision....so i'm probably going over to gc soon to try them out. ill keep you posted though

still a tough call, because now i also suddenly realized i dont really need the 2 extra frets, but itd be nice to have them. or a trem. but not a sucky one (like i hear the edge pro ii is). lawl.
Na the trems deffinitely not sub par, up there with the edges, but thats actually why im selling it if you wanted to know, i dont use trems nearly as much as i thought i did when i bought it
Quote by Used666
Na the trems deffinitely not sub par, up there with the edges, but thats actually why im selling it if you wanted to know, i dont use trems nearly as much as i thought i did when i bought it

Uhm, it is an Edge xD An Edge Pro II to be precise. They're on the Steve Vai and Joe Satriani signature guitars, so they must be pretty good for such masterful innovators (and abusers) of the tool to use them. However, if you have the cash to dish out, I hear they are easily replacable with a Floyd Rose.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Uhm, it is an Edge xD An Edge Pro II to be precise. They're on the Steve Vai and Joe Satriani signature guitars, so they must be pretty good for such masterful innovators (and abusers) of the tool to use them. However, if you have the cash to dish out, I hear they are easily replacable with a Floyd Rose.

I meant the edge I's
umm. edge pro II= not on vai's or satch's guitar. they use the original and better Edge Pro I's. Edge pro II's are subpar, but better than most low end trems.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
umm. edge pro II= not on vai's or satch's guitar. they use the original and better Edge Pro I's. Edge pro II's are subpar, but better than most low end trems.

their newest models from ibanez have edge pros, yes, but the guitars they actually play with have an edge or lo pro. i don't think i've ever seen either one use an edge pro-equipped guitar.

i'm not saying they haven't, but i haven't seen it.
Quote by joel_grieve

Very true.. the JS1000 and the JEM7's use the Original Edge Pro (which should be Edge Pro 1) but i think the Edge pro II should hold up well too... i mean for the price you pay, im sure the JS n the JEM's hav much better trems compared to a S470...
however, I STILL CANT WAIT FOR MY GUITAR!!! ARRRRGGHH!!!
Quote by Shinozoku
The RGT42DX also has a 5 position pickup switch, to get single coil sounds as well as humbucker sounds.

So does the S series. The ZR trem is better than any Floyd Rose as well.
The S470 is also lighter, and has a fatter sound to it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The ZR trem is better than any Floyd Rose as well.

are you serious? better than the Floyd Rose Tremolo?? youre kiddin right??
the ZR pwns the OFR.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by xtopher_aaron
Very true.. the JS1000 and the JEM7's use the Original Edge Pro (which should be Edge Pro 1) but i think the Edge pro II should hold up well too... i mean for the price you pay, im sure the JS n the JEM's hav much better trems compared to a S470...
however, I STILL CANT WAIT FOR MY GUITAR!!! ARRRRGGHH!!!

My bad xD Yeah, I just remembered that I read in a Guitar World interview that Vai uses a Lo Pro, and that there was never a number listed in the JS model's description =/ Sorry about that.

Stupid name.

the trem on the S is as high quality as the trems on Vai's guitar. its just a different style of locking trem that uses ball bearings rather than knife points. noobs.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
S series rocks........... but Jacksons all teh way brozz!!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
have you ever, just once said something that started and ended on topic? or something that didn't suggest items the threadstarter couldn't afford? or, better yet, have you ever said anything useful?

referring to bluespunkmetal
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Uhh......... should I ?? Well......... yeah

My point is or was that if threadstarter wanted a guitar for overall quality and not just trems the ts should consider high end Jacksons........

Can't you dig that, ...... mate ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
well. what jackson is in the price range of the s470?

also, i can dig it.

and yes, i'd prefer a jackson over a S470, i just can't think of a jackson in that price.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
lol....still worried about the trem. is it possible i could switch out the edge pro II?

but yeah, i was considering a jackson rr3 too...still a major option. mainly just worried about upper fret access (only 22 frets) with the bolt on...because it doesnt seem to be like an AANJ where it's streamlined down or anything
Go with the S470. The first time I played one i shat my pants. The ZR trem is that good. It's smooth as cutting through butter and you don't have to worry about crappy knife edges like you would with the RG since it operates on ball bearings.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
:/ its a tough call

the rgt's neck through and 24 frets are very appealling

and the s has a trem....an amazing trem.

trem aside, which do you think would be better? again, completely ignoring the fact that the s470 has an amazing trem.

thanks for the help so far
i guess it all comes down to personal preference really...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
^You took the word out of my mouth you foo !!!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I have the RGT42DXFX...

Playability - amazing, total pure Ibanez amazing that is
Looks - decent, but not very metal in my opinion
Quality - had it for a year or so, nothing wrong with it... very solid, very light, very comfy
Sound - Clean sounds, beyond amazing. The coil split pickups sound so good through a good clean channel. Heavy distortion, okay. The pickups are kind of weak, but they have a tight sound and okay tone. Neck pickup is the perfect warmness for solos.