fingernails
9 23%
seperate
9 23%
other
8 20%
Voters: 40.
pick - do them with a guitar pick
thumb - pretty self-explanatory, you make your thumb strike all the strings like a pick
fingernails - curl your hand then flick down with your fingernails
seperate - use different fingers for each string
other - other, please post.

I do the fingernails one most of the time, but I can't really do it fast enough. What is a good technique to use?
It depents on the song kind of.
Like if it was a jazzy song i would probably use separate fingers for each string.
but it it was more of a rock/ metal whatever song I'd probably use the pick one. I would use the others on very rare occasions. The fingernails one seems pretty unnecessary unless you're playing flamenco bass :-p

myspace.com/weasheroesband
pick sounds the best
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Woo! I'm the only one who said fingernails so far. I use my nails because i don't like to use a pick.
Now let's not turn this into another one of the 6 billion other "FINGER VS PICK RAH I HATE PICKS = NO SKILL" threads.

It depends on the song I'm playing, if its fast I'll more than likely use a pick.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
It pretty much depends on speed. If I don't need to play that quickly I'll use my fingers, but if I need to be faster, I'll either sue a pick or my thumb.
I use my thumb, but that's only because whenever play chords on my bass they are in the higher octave and melodic, not root-5 metal songs.. Think Stu Hamms Love Thang and you get the picture..
Hmm.. I experimented for a little while. For the root-5th or bass powerchord thing, I find putting my thumb against my pointer finger and using my nail like a pick works well, and I can switch to fingerstyle/tapping quickly, unlike a pick. Anybody else do that?
i use all the methods above, but most of the time fingernails. it seems like the most versatile technique - you can go "flamence" lol, sound agressive or soft, or shape your nails like pick and get that "pick sound" . not to mention fingernails go a long way when you want to try sweeping and tapping(one after another) on bass
haha...
Quote by mong12345
playtypus you save the day again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flamenco claypool style. Is that what you mean by "finger nail"?

Unless I need a softer tone, like in "Portrait of Tracy". Then I just chord fingerstyle.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by CoolDudeMorgasm
Now let's not turn this into another one of the 6 billion other "FINGER VS PICK RAH I HATE PICKS = NO SKILL" threads.

It depends on the song I'm playing, if its fast I'll more than likely use a pick.

Uhh......no one said anything similar to that at all.....that seemed retty unnecessary. Anyways, I use all of those, but I mostly use a pick nowadays.
hardly ever use a pick, unless its something with hardly any change in rhythm and is quick, i just prefer finger picking, but i mix all th others together with chords
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Since I usually only play chords when i play some Stanley Clarke, I usaully just pop more than one string at a time, gives it a nice bright sound. If I happen to (rarely) play other stuff with chords like John the Fisherman or w/e, I'll use the fingernails, also that doesn't seem to be the best way to describe it.
When I use double stops, I use my thumb and my index finger. But it really depends on how fast Im playing, but I only use Double stops in more slower lines.
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
for slower softer songs i use my thumb index and middle in a classical guitar picking style.
for faster songs i'll use a pick unless theres some intense riffs i need to use my fingers for., then i'd use my finger nails or my thumb depending on which one's are feeling better (think this velvet glove by rhcp).
I usually tap chords on the bass. Usually when I'm trying to make up for the lack of rythem guitar.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
I use whatever is easiest for the situation. Sometimes I do my fingernails/falmenco pick, sometimes seperately, and sometimes it's the thumb. It is rarley the pick however, as I rarely play with one. Not very helpful, i know, but I guess you should just do whatever you are comforatable with/whatever is easier.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I also tap, if it is needed.
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.