I recently got a Schecter C-1 Classic, which has dual humbuckers and a 5-way pickup selector. I think I know what each pickup position does on a technical level, but can anyone explain what style or genre of music each pickup position is good for?
Single coils/coil split are best to resemble a strat's tone, good for cleans and bright tone. Humbuckers are usually for metal and heavy kinds of stuff. Usually humbuckers are louder than single coil so you could feel the difference in volume and tonality.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Single coils/coil split are best to resemble a strat's tone, good for cleans and bright tone. Humbuckers are usually for metal and heavy kinds of stuff. Usually humbuckers are louder than single coil so you could feel the difference in volume and tonality.

OK, that makes sense, but when should I use just the neck humbucker versus just the bridge humbucker versus both? And when should you use the neck single coil versus the bridge single coil?
Neck=Cleans/Technical lead where the sound is a little more pronounced and open
Bridge=Distortion/Overdrive/Crunchy parts where grit is key

Same goes for the singles, although, with the bridge single, it's just more of a punch than grit.
What SuperAnalytical is correct, but I suggest you just feel it out and see what tone is gives you and what kind of things you like to play with those tones. I personally came to dislike the sound my bridge pickup gave me (even though it's an EMG 81) and now I use almost exclusively my neck pickup (an EMG 85).
Your series goes as follows:

Neck position
Split neck
Both humbuckers
Split Bridge
Bridge Position

I'm positive.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Are you sure Metalology, I thought it was:

Split Neck
Neck position
Both humbuckers
Bridge Position
Split Bridge
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by breakstuff
Are you sure Metalology, I thought it was:

Split Neck
Neck position
Both humbuckers
Bridge Position
Split Bridge

Negative - the first position has more output than the second position therefore it has to be the humbucker.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Whatever. The neck pickup will give you a warmer, rounder sound, and the bridge will be sharper and will have more gain.
Neck Hum. - Good for very fast licks and solos as it tends to give a bit more bass to the tone, if you're on the clean channel, its also good to use this position for chording coz its not as twangy as the bridge humbucker.

Bridge Hum. - Generally picks up harmonic better and makes chording with distortion much cleaner and not too bassy. When on clean channel, it'll give much twangy sound and sharp tone.

Single Coil/Coil Split - Experiment whichever possible position that you can find, usually, i use this position to practice over a lick + rolling down the volume on the guitar a bit so that i could get the clean tone without having to adjust the gain at my amp. This position is nice for clean tone.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic