Hey all... i gotta question maybe you guys could help with..

So ive been playing for 5++ years, started when i was 16... i like Satch music, Vai, i can play a few Satch songs.. GnR.. Deep Purple.. you know how it goes... anyways..

i was on Youtube the other day and looked at some kids (maybe not kids but young teens maybe) and i saw the shred on the guitar, its was crazy.. they were all playin stuff i never imagined i could do, yet at least..they were sweeoing n shredding and i was like gees..these guys are good.. and so young!!!.. i felt like killing myself really, i was so freaking jealous.

So my question is, is it too late for me? ive been working really hard these past 2 weeks on some shred excersizes i found online for guitar pro, but i can only reach like 75-80% of the full speed. i think those excersizes are from a Speed Metal book cos someone had mentioned it to me before. im just wondering if i will ever get there, to the promise land of speed, shredding and so on.. is it too late?? will i ever get there?? im freaking out here.. i need to do it.. I MUST!! HELLPPP!!!... nahh im kidding but is it to late? thats all.. thanx!!!
yeah its too late. why dont u just die in a hole quietly?
is that what you want to hear?

its never too late to do anything.
except play sport professionally when ur over 40.
yeah its too late. why dont u just die in a hole quietly?
is that what you want to hear?

definetly not what i wanna hear... i just want to know from more experienced players, how they overcome this, whether or not theres a specific time to start, cos ive read stories about Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, everyone starts at such a young age...
I geuss you dont want to see me then, i'm 13 and i'm pretty good now so at 16 i should be great

but I've been playing for 1 year in a few weeks, i am very nearly getting to the stage where i can shred pretty well, but thats cos everyday i must spend a few hours playing and learning, just stick at it and you'll get there, practice till your fingers drop off
Its never too late for anything dude, dont ever think that. Oh and also, shredding isnt everything, dont think you're not a good guitarist just becuse you cant play 25 notes per second.
[Ibanez SZ320MH
BOSS SD-1, BOSS CE-5, BOSS CS-3, Crybaby Wah
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn
i was biking with my guitar and it fell in a puddle of mud, i was like OH MAN and i whent home immediately and put it in a bucket of water
respect Punk Ninja... i think kids who are playin all day are really great.. it keeps them away from so much **** happenin out there.. Rock on dude...

Cannaton, i know it not everything man, but the problem with me is, i want everything.. im not truely happy until i am able to play everything... i just want shred to be in my arsenal u noe? its coming but i cant stand to wait so long.. its been 2 weeks and im going mad to only be at 80%.. guitar pro has this cool speed trainning thing, where it slowly increases the speed of the riff your practising by a percentage you can slowly increase at your own pace.. how long did it take you guys to be able to shred? i mean like since you intended to learn the method up to you being able to master it (or just be good at it)??
oh yea... and are they any techinical tips that could help me out in this process? like should i raise the action?? should i lower it? fret size?? jumbo? medium? locking nuts??? haha.. i know.. but anything would help.. thanx guys!
I dunno, i leave some one else to answer that, i dont really try to shred that much, the most i do is fast alternate picking, maybe ill get into the sweep picking thing in the near future though .
[Ibanez SZ320MH
BOSS SD-1, BOSS CE-5, BOSS CS-3, Crybaby Wah
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn
i was biking with my guitar and it fell in a puddle of mud, i was like OH MAN and i whent home immediately and put it in a bucket of water
Dude, I know exactly how you feel.

I started about 2-3 years ago with a squier and really wanted to..well..you know, get good :P.

Then as time progressed I lost interest in playing and stopped playing for a couple months to near a year! Once I realized that It was stupid of me to stop playing guitar all together, my squier then broke, my amp was crap and everything was basically gone. So then, I became motivated into raising enough money to buy myself new gear (which I'm SO happy with--just to add -_-)

Now after getting my gear I became dedicated, practicing everyday to near 4-5 hours and I have improved alot compared to how I used to play .

The point is, don't ever think it's too late to do anything, especially to get better at playing the guitar. Just find some motivation and keep at it, it won't come in a week or so, it will take near months into improve (well, from my experiences).

Btw, I prefer having low action on my guitar. It would probably suite your style of playing better? D:
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I geuss you dont want to see me then, i'm 13 and i'm pretty good now so at 16 i should be great

but I've been playing for 1 year in a few weeks, i am very nearly getting to the stage where i can shred pretty well, but thats cos everyday i must spend a few hours playing and learning, just stick at it and you'll get there, practice till your fingers drop off

The whole world doesnt revolve around you kid, someones got a bit of an ego..............

Anyway back to the thredster......... Satch didnt start playing guitar till he was 14..... Two years doesnt make two licks of difference, if you put in th time and the effort you will reap the rewards, you have to earn to be able to shred via playing for hours and hours, you cannot expect to be able to play Malmsteen within a week.......
Just remember there's always going to be someone who's younger and better at anything you do. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Of course it ain't. You are in your early 20's . If you give up agaion you will ask yourself the same question in 10 years, then you'll think "Oh yes,lokk where I could be now" but I understand what you are saying. I started 10 months ago (14,15 now) and I feel I should of started at like 7.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Who ever said you need to shred? Learn to write good songs with good riffs.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Who ever said you need to shred? Learn to write good songs with good riffs.

I know man, thanx for the advise, but i would just like to have a huge arsenal of things i can do you know? i dont wanna be tied down to only being able to play 1 style of music. i think its flexablity and versatility i aim for.

plus in my opinion, i look at being able to shred as being able to have almost perfect control over the instrument you know? like you can have the ability to run really well all over the fretboard, im not saying that it should be done all the time, and i know i have a good sense for a good melody, its just that the ability to express those melodies can be made so much easier if your fingers can run all over the place at high speeds and slower speeds, you know?
Well if you want to talk realistically, is it to late for a player of 5 years to learn shred? No of course not. Iv been playing a little over 20 years.. I only got into shred maby 6 years ago, and it was tough to try to get my speed up, but i just worked on it and after a while i adapted.. But to be honest it will probably be tougher for you that for that 13 year old kid who started out playing guitar with shred on his mind. You've been playing 5 years, so you have already well developed your own habits and technics, so your going to have to learn to break some of those, and let me tell you that can be a real hard thing to do (thats what i had to do, i had to break about 15 years of bad habits)

Just start off slow, take your time, dont be in such a rush to keep up with some 13 year old kid who doesnt matter.. Before you know it you'll think Steve Vai is your bitch.. lol.
It is not too late, it is not like you are 60 or something. BTW I think Satriani was 14 when he started playing guitar.
Whats the point of being able to shred? It sounds like its more about repairing your damaged ego than your further development as a proficient guitarist. I mean, there's so much more to playing guitar than being able to play fast. And also, you wanna know something? Most of these kids able to shred at a gazillion NPS, are actually the same kids who turn out to be the worse guitarist? Why? Because they focus only on one thing, and that is playing faster. They never develop an ear for the music, and hence, they never get what guitar is all about.
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
It's never too late. Because the real point is expressing yourself and enjoying
the guitar. It's not a competition.

And, if you really want to get good, there is only 1 not so secret, secret: learn
how to practice. Almost nobody either knows how, or cares to, or even thinks
there's that much to know about it. But it is really the most important skill to
acquire. If you become an expert practicer, you will leave most people in the dust.
Quote by refgerto
Whats the point of being able to shred? It sounds like its more about repairing your damaged ego than your further development as a proficient guitarist. I mean, there's so much more to playing guitar than being able to play fast. And also, you wanna know something? Most of these kids able to shred at a gazillion NPS, are actually the same kids who turn out to be the worse guitarist? Why? Because they focus only on one thing, and that is playing faster. They never develop an ear for the music, and hence, they never get what guitar is all about.

It's posts like these that make me wonder if these people who show up after 10 replys have been made ever actually read any of them....
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Another thing: For some reason, when somebody hears that another person wants to learn to shred, they believe that this person will ALWAYS, no matter WHAT, shred all the time in all of their songs without slowing down. They don't realize that it is a technique to be used in moderation, usually for dramatic effect. Of course, none of those rules apply if you're in a death metal band.... Unless it's melodic death metal.

Anyway, I don't think it's too late. Personally I have no experience in the matter, as I'm only now learning to shred after 3 years of playing, and it's coming along niceley. One guy mentioned learning to practice, which is an excellent thing to do, probably the best advice you can give a person. That, and keep your hands loose. Tensing up will only hold you back.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Hey man, take me for example, I've been 16 for the last month and still have to wait another month before gettin my guitar, remember, its the quality your playing at, not the quantity or the length of time, with practice and dedication, its easy for one to be good at anything!
I finally got my gear!

Squier Deluxe Series Satin Trans Double Fat Strat
Roland Cube 15
thanx guys... really good stuff up here... theres no way im letting up... i really understand where many of you are coming from in saying that shredding is not the most important thing, its just like i said before, i just want it under my belt you know? i want to be able to play different styles and all.. but thanx alot guy.. seriously.. good stuff...
Quote by xtopher_aaron
oh yea... and are they any techinical tips that could help me out in this process? like should i raise the action?? should i lower it? fret size?? jumbo? medium? locking nuts??? haha.. i know.. but anything would help.. thanx guys!

Buy the book Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar. Practice everyday for two hours and in six months you'll be shredding the sh!t out of your guitar.

It's never too late to do anything, i started bass and guitar when i was 25 mate and i am a respectable player and in a great band gigging every week around London. You just have to dedicate time. Say to yourself "In six months i will be able to shred", then make it happen and dont let anytyhing stand in your way.

Good luck bro.

[quote="'[Guitar-Noob"]']with practice and dedication, its easy for one to be good at anything!

Prize to Guitar-Noob right here, we need more people in the world with this attitude.
Last edited by Applehead at Sep 28, 2006,
Most of shred is just a dick-size competition. Just write something cool, that's what pays the bills.

Randy Rhoads/Eddie Van Halen/Dimebag Darrel never played insanely fast (not to say they didnt play pretty damn fast). Yet they're famous, unlike the basement shredder who can play 25 nps.

Obviously speed doesn't mean much.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

dude just relax! Who cares if u ever get there as long as u having fun playing the guitar thats what its all about well atleast for me
It's going to take you way more than two weeks to learn to 'shred' :p
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
thanx guys!!..thanx for all the encouragement, examples, lessons, everything that you have thought me..really good stuff... you can bet i will be doing my best at it..THANX!!
Quote by Xinlitik
Most of shred is just a dick-size competition. Just write something cool, that's what pays the bills..

well ... i think shredding's pretty rewarding, it's like a measurement of how efficient you are on guitar nd it shouldn't be the be all and all but it's hardly a dick-size competition. it's a real neat skill that most ppl call wankoff or tryhard, mainly because they're quiite jealous of it. i don't think there's anything to be jealous of, shred is just another technique, having tight bends, awesome vibrato and a nack for every chord in the book is probably a lot more impressive anyway.

Sorry to make this about metallica but ...didn't kirk hammet start when he was 15 or something? jason newstead started when he was 20 something i think. the point is look after yourself, enjoy guitar, and don't feel bad about aiming for the holy grail of shred, just keep practicing and you'll be as good as these guys.
Marty
Quote by refgerto

But if you have already got the ear for music, then learning to play faster can be really useful
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I was thinking the same thing except im 33 and been playing since age 8 and im stunned at these kids that arpeggio sweep like they were born with the technique. after 4 weeks ive only just mastered it, but that is using just one scale. im hoping that i will be able to play any arpeggio sweep shape once i have the techniqoe down.

good luck and sorry to sound so predctable but you gotta keep practicing. at least 10 constant minutes a day along to a metronome is what i recommend.
I started to play when I was 9... I'm 16 now and i only i discovered i could play moderately quickly a few weeks ago.

I am probably gonna get a few stabs for saying this but I have no immediate urge to 'shred' i just want to play my guitars. I dont wan't to get stuck in one type of music. Sitting and playing to make myself 'better' by playin fast to gain the respect of a few people seems a bit stupid to me.

If you are happy with how you play then you shouldn't feel pushed to do it.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
to the guys above, yes i do practise to a metronome, at least 2+ hours a day..haha and yes i do see the ability to shred as something extra in your abilities, its a cool trick to have no?..

^and its not that im not happy, i just think that i could be happier with shred.. dont you agree? hahha...peace guys!
Guitar isn't a physically stressing activity or a team sport, like football, rugby, lacrosse, etc..so it doesn't really matter when u start..ur only competing with yourself. It is easier to learn the younger you are, but i doubt 2-3 years makes a big difference, it's just how long you practice. Btw, there is practicing, and then there is playing for fun..not that practice isn't fun, but it's important to distinguish between the two..try to really work yourself during practice, don't just practice what you already can do proficently..hope that helps, gl man
Quote by suicidalmoose
well ... i think shredding's pretty rewarding, it's like a measurement of how efficient you are on guitar nd it shouldn't be the be all and all but it's hardly a dick-size competition. it's a real neat skill that most ppl call wankoff or tryhard, mainly because they're quiite jealous of it. i don't think there's anything to be jealous of, shred is just another technique, having tight bends, awesome vibrato and a nack for every chord in the book is probably a lot more impressive anyway.

Sorry to make this about metallica but ...didn't kirk hammet start when he was 15 or something? jason newstead started when he was 20 something i think. the point is look after yourself, enjoy guitar, and don't feel bad about aiming for the holy grail of shred, just keep practicing and you'll be as good as these guys.

Dude shred isnt the holy grail............ Mastering everything on guitar is the holy grail, and it is an IMPOSSIBLE feat! That is what the HOLY GRAIL is, not simply being able to shred......
Hey dude, if you really wanna be able to shred, blast out ridiculous amounts of notes in short periods of time you have to be patient.
Take your time and never go too fast for yourself, just find a speed that is challenging for you, but you can still play cleanly and accurately at, then go at that speed until you feel comfortable to crank it up a little. also never stop learning new licks. if you practice the same lick day in day out, you wont progress so well as if you had about 5 licks on the go. be patient and have discipline, you'll get there in the end.

may i suggest early metallica solos? there are quite a few parts of Kirk Hammets work that have done wonders for my speed, such as creeping death, ride the lightning, leper messiah. Kudos to anyone pulling off Kill 'em all solos.