do jumbo frets mean the space in between the frets are bigger or the fret bar itself is bigger?? and what are the benefits of Jumbo frets?? help anyone?
Quote by pokescab
Space between frets is larger. Good if you have fat fingers.

Nooo. Jumbo frets means that the fretwire is larger/bulkier/higher than medium/small/large frets. It helps with control over the string and makes bending/vibrato easier. If you press it hard enough it'll make the note sharper, its like a scalloped neck, only not too deep.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Madpicking is right on this one.

I find Jumbo Frets fine to use, but you do have to remember that as the frets are larger then the space between frets is slightly smaller than normal (although scale length determines how much room you get).

It is very true that if you push too hard on a string when you have jumbo frets then you will sharpen the note slightly, but for most people this isnt a problem. I used to have a problem with this because i have a very heavy left hand technique but overtime i have learned to compensate. The big advantage of Jumbo Frets is that it makes bends and vibrato a lot easier, which means you can put fairly large guage strings on and still be able to bend fairly well.
It means the distance between the strings is bigger, especially near the nut. On the cheap strat-knockoff I had the strings were much closer togheter then on my Dean Custom 450 that has Xjumbo frets. Jumbo frets are also rather high of the fretboard so it's easier to bend a string. This doesn't affect action in a negative way because it's the distance between the string and the fret (the actual iron bit I mean) that counts and not the distance between the strings and the fretboard itself (the wood).
Hope this helps!
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by Dardarian
It means the distance between the strings is bigger, especially near the nut

Thats nothing to do with the Jumbo Frets, thats a specific design feature of shred style guitar. You can have jumbo frets on any style of guitar, you could even get them fitted onto a strat, but it doesnt mean the strat will suddenly have more distance between each string.

But the rest of what you had to say is good and accurate
Quote by pokescab
Space between frets is larger. Good if you have fat fingers.

The space between frets has nothing to do with whether they're jumbo or not, but the scale. This space will always be the same on guitars of the same scale.
Quote by LKW
The space between frets has nothing to do with whether they're jumbo or not, but the scale. This space will always be the same on guitars of the same scale.

Hmmmmm not quite, if you have two guitars of the same scale length but one has medium frets and the other has Jumbo Frets then the Jumbo Fret Guitar will actually have slight less space between the frets (due to the frets being slightly wider).
thanx guys.. cos i was just wondering what to expect from this guitar i wanna get, its got a 25.5mm scale neck and jumbo frets.. i was just curios about jumbo frets is all..
i've got 6105 on my Eclipse and for one they are really weird to get used to and im seeing how low my action can go without buzzing at all.
Quote by Invictious
What about are there any guitars with large spacing between the frets?

Yeah, but space between frets has to do with scale length. So a Les Paul has smaller fret spacing than a Stratocaster.
Hi, I'm Peter
Threadstarter, what kind of music do you play. I believe Jumbo frets are geared more towards a bluesier style of play because they make bending easier as were smaller frets are used more on shred guitars for lower action. That's my understand anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
"If my baby don't love me no more,
well I'm sure her sister will." -Jimi "Red House"

Gear
1983 Strat '57 Reissue
1964 Gibson ES-330
Dr Z Maz 38
Fender Pro-Junior

myspace.com/marcrobertwork
Quote by shark38j
Threadstarter, what kind of music do you play. I believe Jumbo frets are geared more towards a bluesier style of play because they make bending easier as were smaller frets are used more on shred guitars for lower action. That's my understand anyway, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Nah Jumbos are for shred as well. Its really a personal preference tho
Fretboard radius has more to do with ease of bending. Fret size/shape is pure personal preference.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Prk Marshall
^^^^No

Umm...thanks for the thread contribution?
Hi, I'm Peter
hey guys, im into alot of rock stuff.. i play like alot of satch type songs.. but only a few satch music.. i aspire to be able to be as flexible as possible, so thats why i think the Ibanez s470 im gettin, cos it seems flexible.. im wanting to get into some shred stuff.. slowly practising with some speed metal stuff... i just to be able to play anything, but my preferences are Satch type music. oh yea.. lemme just give u a list of music i like, Satch, Vai, Yngwie, GnR, Santana, ..u get the idea right?
Quote by xtopher_aaron
hey guys, im into alot of rock stuff.. i play like alot of satch type songs.. but only a few satch music.. i aspire to be able to be as flexible as possible, so thats why i think the Ibanez s470 im gettin, cos it seems flexible.. im wanting to get into some shred stuff.. slowly practising with some speed metal stuff... i just to be able to play anything, but my preferences are Satch type music. oh yea.. lemme just give u a list of music i like, Satch, Vai, Yngwie, GnR, Santana, ..u get the idea right?

In that case a jumbo fret would be "suitable" for you. Im not gonna tell you that its best, its total preference, you gotta try it out yourself, some like mediums some like large, and some even extra jumbos.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by Prk Marshall
Have a look at my other posts, prior to that one. Looks like i have contributed

I think he meant it more like: "would you like to elaborate on that" or "contribute more info to prove your point" Just saying "no" is retarded, provide some proof as to why he is wrong. Regardless, he is right.

A flatter radius fretboard makes bending easier for most players, especially shredders. And before I switched fretting technique I loved using flat radius fretboards for bending.

I personally prefer a radius now... between 9.5" - 12" because and don't play with my thumb parellel with the fretboard, I play with my thumb wrapped around so I can fret the low E with it, and if the radius is too flat I find it uncomfortable with bends. AND fret size all has to do with personal preference. I love jumbo frets, and I hate playing on tiny vintage frets because my fingers grind against the fretboard when I bend. But some people actually like smaller fretwire.
Hai UG!
Last edited by L_Z_Nut at Sep 27, 2006,
Quote by L_Z_Nut
I think he meant it more like: "would you like to elaborate on that" or "contribute more info to prove your point" Just saying "no" is retarded, provide some proof as to why he is wrong. Regardless, he is right.

I know exactly what he meant sigh...

Now i did say this to him and it looks like i have to hold your hand and explain it to you as well. Look at my posts prior to that one............... and now to simplify it just in case your still having dificulty i have elaborated on the point further up the page it would make no sense to repeat myself.

Comprende?

You can bend easier with a jumbo fret, the higher the fret the greater leverage you get when you dig in and the easier bends become.

Why do you thing scaloped fret boards are so good for bending, its the same priciple of leverage.
UHhhgg.. do I have to hold your hand now.

The size of the fretwire plays a much smaller role then the radius for bends. Too high, like with true jumbos and scalloped fretboards actually makes it harder, because you have to use a lighter touch or you'll go sharp. OF course, it gets easier with practice, but even I've heard Malmsteen fuck up badly when bending on his strat. If the radius of the fretboard is really flat, bending, even with small fretwire, is extremely easy, and IME, stays pretty much the same even with larger fretwire. Even with partially (higher frets) scalloped fretboards I found it incredibly annoying and agravating trying to bend without going sharp. But that's all because of my technique... shredders might find less onerous.

Really, it all comes down to (like dirk said) personal preference. I prefer larger fretwire (not huge) because my fingers tend to scrape against the fretboard with tiny frets... my fingers are meaty. My friend, who has really bony fingers, prefers small frets because the don't let the string dig into his fingers like large frets.

The only thing that makes bending easier is the radius of the board, fretwire is all personal preference! There's no universal rule that says jumbo frets will make bending easier.
Hai UG!
Last edited by L_Z_Nut at Sep 27, 2006,
so let me get this straight... jumbo frets = the metal piece of the fret is actually higher than normal right? which means, my fretting finger doesnt have to touch against the fret board right? if not i will go sharp? so it is almost similar to scalloping maybe? but scalloping being the more drastic version of Jumbo frets.. am i getting this right? so finally, with jumbo frets, i have got to play a little lighter than with the normal frets because it gets sharp if i press down too hard, which is a good thing right? i mean cos you save strength in your fretting hand and in turn makes up for more speed right?
Quote by xtopher_aaron
so let me get this straight... jumbo frets = the metal piece of the fret is actually higher than normal right? which means, my fretting finger doesnt have to touch against the fret board right? if not i will go sharp? so it is almost similar to scalloping maybe? but scalloping being the more drastic version of Jumbo frets.. am i getting this right? so finally, with jumbo frets, i have got to play a little lighter than with the normal frets because it gets sharp if i press down too hard, which is a good thing right? i mean cos you save strength in your fretting hand and in turn makes up for more speed right?

Exacto mondo~

And the "metal piece" is called fretwires. And varying from finger size and the hardness of your callouses, you "might" touch the fretboard.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic