What is the best order of learning music theory to a basic level? Not talking reading or notation just pure theory-there are a few different opinions on what comes first-

Eg:-
Chromatic Scale or Major Scale-chromatic easier to see but more difficult to understand than major scale-and major scale can go straight to///
Interval Steps or Specific Intervals..specific intervals are easy to understand eg minor 2nd jaws.

Any help much appreciated
Quote by Mahavishnu80
What is the best order of learning music theory to a basic level? Not talking reading or notation just pure theory-there are a few different opinions on what comes first-

Eg:-
Chromatic Scale or Major Scale-chromatic easier to see but more difficult to understand than major scale-and major scale can go straight to///
Interval Steps or Specific Intervals..specific intervals are easy to understand eg minor 2nd jaws.

Any help much appreciated
By choosing to neglect reading and notation you're significantly limiting yourself. I can't imagine why you'd do this, as reading standard notation for the purposes of learning theory is actually quite straightforward. In any case, what you're describing is an ear-training approach. This will carry you only so far. Learning the theory associated with chromaticism, for example, is far beyond an ear-training approach.

Perhaps you're thinking learning theory and ear-training are the same things?
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by gpb0216
By choosing to neglect reading and notation you're significantly limiting yourself. I can't imagine why you'd do this, as reading standard notation for the purposes of learning theory is actually quite straightforward. In any case, what you're describing is an ear-training approach. This will carry you only so far. Learning the theory associated with chromaticism, for example, is far beyond an ear-training approach.

Perhaps you're thinking learning theory and ear-training are the same things?

i dont know why you replied thinking i want to negate reading-you are seeing words that are not on the page!

im not talking about myself personally-i can read notation-treble and bass clef and have done for years. Im talking generically-

would you study (or teach) the major scale and its related steps or the chromatic scale. Then after that would triads be next-just trying to find the chronological, most easy method. An example is Musictheory.net-they negate to explain the chromatic scale and introduce triads late on as well.

Anyone else?
I would say, do something like this:

-Teach the notes and rhythmic notation (you're going to need whether or not the person wants to read or write notation)
- Use the chromatic scale to help learn the notes of the fretboard
- Use Major scale/ Major Chords
- Use natural Minor Scale / Minor Chords
- Use Harmonic Minor scale, then Melodic Minor
- If they can tackle that, then go onto 7th chords (Major, minor, Dominant, Half-dim., Fully dim.)

That should be enough from a very basic level to an advanced level.
Some of the most powerful moments are when there is nothing to be said
Quote by Ocean's Rage
I would say, do something like this:

-Teach the notes and rhythmic notation (you're going to need whether or not the person wants to read or write notation)
- Use the chromatic scale to help learn the notes of the fretboard
- Use Major scale/ Major Chords
- Use natural Minor Scale / Minor Chords
- Use Harmonic Minor scale, then Melodic Minor
- If they can tackle that, then go onto 7th chords (Major, minor, Dominant, Half-dim., Fully dim.)

That should be enough from a very basic level to an advanced level.

thats really not what im on about either..nevermind!
Quote by Mahavishnu80
i dont know why you replied thinking i want to negate reading-you are seeing words that are not on the page!
Didn't you specifically say, "Not talking reading or notation just pure theory"?
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.