I've been listening to Megadeth, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath for years (and just picked up some Iced Earth) and I realized that I really want to try playing the guitar. Why? Because I don't have that many hobbies and decided that playing songs like "Holy Wars" and "Poison Was the Cure" would be like a freaking dream. It wasn't too long ago before the craving for vocals in a song disappeared and that craving was replaced by fast guitar playing. It's pretty tough starting out though.

I've never played a guitar nor any other single instrument in my life. I do know the basics of the guitar that aren't acquired by playing it. I've read the stickies and three of my friends play the guitar. From here, I'll just follow a little format about what I need and what I'm looking for.

Budget - 200-450 US dollars.

Genre Preference - Metal (Not Death or Grind).

Needs - Amp + Guitar + Accessories. Basically whatever the hell I need to start playing guitar. My budget is tight and the less it costs the sooner I can get it. Anything around 400+ I'll have to wait for Christmas.

Sources of Possible Purchase - A local music shop 30 minutes away, or internet. I could look for more shops though. I checked the shop and I saw some Ibanez (Geo) and some Fender Squires and more things I don't really know the names for.

If I missed anything, let me know.
Last edited by t1337Dude at Sep 27, 2006,
For a first guitar?
DONT! get a squier is one thing, they may be 'a good begginers guitar' but thats cos they suck, also, they may look really cool but unless you have £400 (thats english money) you wont get a good one

an Agile les paul would be in your price range and i hear they are amazing, or you oculd get yourself a dean baby V, ML or Z i shapes are your thing (a V is my second guitar but i couldnt last with the squier) or a cheapish ibanez or jackson
Ibanez GIO's a good first guitars. I still have mine (I cant afford any better lol.) They cost aboit $399(Australian) in a pack with a 15watt amp and leads and picks and a srap etc.
Quote by DJaye

and it was about that time his sister comes bounding in, as she forgot to grab her handbag, only to see her brother running down the hallway with his dick hanging out and a hotdog sausage up his arse
I bought an ibanez GAX30 as an impulse buy off ebay for £120 including postage its a decent guitar comparing it to epis or squiers and all the others around that budget im not sure what it is in dollars though. Dont get a squire, please lol.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
For a first guitar?
DONT! get a squier is one thing, they may be 'a good begginers guitar' but thats cos they suck, also, they may look really cool but unless you have £400 (thats english money) you wont get a good one

an Agile les paul would be in your price range and i hear they are amazing, or you oculd get yourself a dean baby V, ML or Z i shapes are your thing (a V is my second guitar but i couldnt last with the squier) or a cheapish ibanez or jackson

How dare you say that, Squiers don't suck, but they just don't suit this guy, a decent squier can last people for ages...
I finally got my gear!

Squier Deluxe Series Satin Trans Double Fat Strat
Roland Cube 15
Well, I'm not looking for things that "Don't Suit Me", so reccomendations on what to get would be nicer than on what not to get.
squires are good guitars, my standard series strat kicks the **** out of a mexican strat
Hey guys, would I have everything I'd need just by purchasing an amp + guitar, or do I need to buy lots of extra picks,strings, and a strap/stand too?
buy picks, it should come with strings and if you want a strap and stand

and most squiers suck, they may last people but thats the american affinity series, in the UK the affinity series are made of agathis and so is the standard, the only squier i've seen made of alder is a tele affinity on GAK but the rest are agathis
I got the Ibanez GIO starter kit, it is actually a pretty good guitar. The amp is terrible though, I plan on getting a new one very soon.
Quote by CroneR
I got the Ibanez GIO starter kit, it is actually a pretty good guitar. The amp is terrible though, I plan on getting a new one very soon.

I saw the Gio guitar, so I could easily pick that up and then buy an amp that doesn't suck.
I say you should get a RG321MH as your first guitar, and swap the pups out, for an amp...uhhh...Micro Cube?...Roland Cube 30 or 60?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut