Hi. I'm kinda new here, but I'll get to the point.

My idea is to buy a cabinet and then shortly after it some small wattage tube head. I live in an apartment so more than 15W is out of the question. Also I was thinking about buying a 4x12 or 2x12 with it so that I could still get a lot of volume even with a really miniature head. Now, I'm leaning towards Ibanez because their cheaper models are still stereo which seems good to me.

P.S. Please don't say Epiphone Valve Junior for a head because even though it's all-tube it doesn't even have an EQ. So IMO an EQ is a must on an amp.

Thanks in advance
Well, do the Ibanez ones have the sound you want? And get a 2x12 cab.

I'm gonna suggest that you get something like one of them Plexi kits, but I'm only saying this 'coz you haven't said your price range or what you play, but I want one...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
maybe those tube crates if they are any good at all..

and RCHP, whats this about pexi kits? sorry to hijack the thread a bit
John Frusciante
member #1 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers UG fanclub PM samlynch to join
JIMI HENDRIX
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
John Petrucci
SRV
No small amp is gonna have an EQ. They might have a "tone" knob, but it won't do much.

I suggest the Epi, with an Avatar cab, and then a good EQ pedal.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by aussieguitarman
maybe those tube crates if they are any good at all..

and RCHP, whats this about pexi kits? sorry to hijack the thread a bit

They're just amp kits that you can buy off a website, but they're built to like exact specs of the original models they're basing them on.

I'll try and find the link...

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/marshallTMB/marshallTMBComplete.htm
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
No small amp is gonna have an EQ. They might have a "tone" knob, but it won't do much.

I suggest the Epi, with an Avatar cab, and then a good EQ pedal.

there are a few small heads that have EQ, but they are usually $3k+ botique heads.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Thanks for the feedback.

First of all, I haven't the time nor the ability to play around with any kits based on spare parts. But thanks anyway.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I live in Bulgaria, so it would be difficult for me to obtain some boutique amp. I began considering purchasing a Champ maybe from eBay but am still unsure.
About the music I'd like to play - metal and classic heavy rock. I don't need that much gain because I have nice effects but since valve tone is so essential for good sound and blah blah...well you get the picture.
I am willing to spend anything up to 2-300$ USD on an amp and about that much (maybe more) on a cab.

P.S. What do you think about this?

P.P.S. And why a 2x12 and not a 4x12?
Epi Valve Jr. with an Avatar 2x12 (one V30 and one G12H-30) and a Boss GE-7 (EQ pedal. solves your lack of EQ complaint)

Oh, and the reason for a 2x12 over a 4x12? You're buying up to a 15 watt tube head and want to keep volume down since you live in an apartment, the 2x12 will be slightly softer and be driven harder by the head. You'll be able to crank the head more and get those valves cooking so you get a really good tone.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Last edited by rockxwl at Sep 27, 2006,