Ok, I feel like an idiot for asking, but what is the actual difference between overdrive and distortion?

Like, I own a Vox AD30VT, and supposedly I hear the US HiGain is modelled on the Slash JCM800. But how on earth do you get overdrive? Is it just another name for distortion or what?

I feel like a fool. I've been playing two years, and don't know how to get a nice overdrive.

Please, can someone give me info on overdrive and what it actually is, and how to get it?

Thanks.

PS. I know about the Boutique OD setting, I'm jsut talking about amps in general. How do you overdrive an amp?
I dont know how to explain the technical stuff...because I honestly don't know, But Overdrive is the older effect and is used alot in Classic Rock and stuff and by AC/DC, Distortion is used mostly by Metal Bands and it sounds Way more aggressive and Punchy, with Overdrive you can still hear the tone of your strings, I think Distortion usually overlaps anything natural your guitar would make, The gain is waaaay higher on distortion as well.

I guess Overdrive is used more in blues and Distortion is Metal
Turn the gain up on that distortion model.

And you can overdrive an amp by just turning it up, the valves are pushed harder and the signal naturally overdrives, but this only works with valve amps.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Overdrive is the phenomenon from pushing a tube amp and the tone starts to break up and get dirty. Distortion is what you hear nowadays
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by johnmalkin
Ok, I feel like an idiot for asking, but what is the actual difference between overdrive and distortion?

Like, I own a Vox AD30VT, and supposedly I hear the US HiGain is modelled on the Slash JCM800. But how on earth do you get overdrive? Is it just another name for distortion or what?

US highgain is modeled after the Peavey 5150. The clsosest to a Slash Silver Jubilee is the UK 80's. Overdrive in general is when the tubes on tube amps start to distort, but sicne tube distort alot smoother you get what's called overdrive.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
actually the higain is a soldano slo100.
or atleast according to this
http://valvetronix.net/forum/ad15-30-50-100vt-series-amp-models-vt186.html
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!