Hello. Recently I've been studying music theory a lot, and in a few days got the hang of how to use scales, construct chords, naming them, and tons of useful stuff. Still, this all goes too slow, as I'm still not familiar with every single tone on the guitar, and I'm quite positive that learning the chromatic scale would be most helpful in memorizing other scales, chord construction, etc. Besides, I scrolled through the posts made here earlier, and noticed some of you expert players said not to learn scale patterns, but to learn chromatic instead, and then derive other scales from the chromatic scale.

Any tips on how to learn the chromatic scale?
Hmm... The chromatic scale is every single semitone, root-to-root. So C chromatic would be:

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B

My advice would be to learn various notes on the fretboard. Not all, but roots for various chords. Figure out where the roots for E, A, G, B, etcetera, are. Then you can play from root to root up or down an octave, and there's your chromatic.

I think it would be easier to learn the C major scale, personally. It's C D E F G A B. Learn how to play that on your guitar, learn where those various notes are, then you can build scales from those roots anywhere, deriving it from the WWHWWWH step formula for the major scale.
my clarinet teacher taught me to learn every 7th-chord of a few major-scales by heart, because it helps when you play jazz. he's quite right. i think it would help on guitar too, espacially for soli, sounds very nice.
and i think learning major scales would help,too ;-)
greetz from germany
The best way to learn the notes on the fretboard is by learning all the "whole notes" (like C, G, A etc.) and then add the "#s and bs" after that.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
And then the pattern for the minor scale would be WHWWHWW.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
W=Whole step (two frets)
H= Half step (one fret)

Threadstarter, the chromatic scale is just every note played in order.

Like, go to a piano, and play all the keys, black and white, that's the chromatic scale.

On a guitar, just play every fret on a given string.

Not something you really learn to solo with. However, if you learn the basic pentatonic shapes, and add little chromatic runs in the middle, I think it soounds nice.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
W - whole step/tone, H - half step/tone.

So the major scale would be WWHWWWH, or on the low E string, 0, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12 for the E major scale. That would be considered, in terms of intervals I think it's called, "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7".

A minor scale has a flatted 3, 6, and 7 I believe. That means the formula for a minor scale, based off the major scale, would be "1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, ,b7".

So the step/tone formula for E minor would be WHWWHWW, or on the low E string, 0, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12.

I believe that's how it works.