I am looking to have the nut replaced in my guitar, because at current it is really damaged and I get a lot of fret buzz due to it. What do I look for/ask for when I ask my techie to change it over?
All you need to do is ask for a new nut.

You can get them to make a new one from bone, which costs slightly more but will improve tone and sustain slightly. You could get a brass one or just get a replacement plastic one its up to you.
yeah ask for a new one, i reccomend graphite, good tone and sustain, tuning stabilty and heklps the strings last a little longer.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
also might wanna bring in the guitar neck if its a bolt on electric unless your scared to take it off then just leave it on the body. but show them the neck spot where the nut would go so they know which nut to replace it with
i think hes actually geting a tech to do the replacement for him, so brining in the guitar is a given.

Last.fm
yeah, my techie will do it all for me.. but what's it worth? I want to say to him, "can you please replace the nut with a new [type] nut" and for him to say, "fine, that's worth [price]"
it really depends on what material its made out of, what size it is and all that, look up the type you want on a site that sells guitar parts. As for the service, its a pretty minor procedure, id say $50 tops if hes charging by the hour, but some people will do it for less than that.

Last.fm