I got a new guitar and I noticed that the intonation is extremly ****ed up.
It is very noticable when picking an open chord progression.
I've tried seeing if the 12 th of each string is in tune with each string but I turned out to be higher.
I tried to increase the string lenght but still after increasing all of the strings lenghtes to nthe max the 12th fret is still sharper then the original note. is there any other way to adjust the intonation other then increasing/decreasing string lenght?? help!
get a new guitar!! hyuk hyuk!!

just kiddin.. sorry.. actually even i am facing the same problem... but not that noticable... what to do???
I like guitar...
try a lighter gauge of strings. sometimes if the strings are just too heavy for the guitar, you won't be able to fix your intonation. what gauge do you have now?
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
If you're talking about an electric guitar, you may need to tinker with the height of your pickups.
height of pickups?? how does that help??
and anyway my gauge is light enough as it is..
I like guitar...
Quote by kirk_tremonti
height of pickups?? how does that help??
and anyway my gauge is light enough as it is..

The further your pickups are from your strings, the muddier your tone will be. Have you ever tried to adjust your pickups? It changes your tone. Did you know that if you stand further away from a microphone your voice sounds different? Same concept.
Yes it's an electric guitar ( I didnt know you could adjust string lenght on an acoustic?)
anyway I also heared that could have something to do with the action?? ( coz I noticed the the strings are much closer to the frets near the tuners and the dictance incrreases as you go to higher tones closer to the bridge)
coz I dont wanna mess with the pickups so Ill just keep it as my last resort plus it's not about the sound being muddier it's just that the intonation isnt okay. what I mean is that maybe if I adjust the distance of the pickups I could get a less muddy sound but still not intonated.
Last edited by kar33m at Sep 27, 2006,
Don't be afraid to mess with your guitar. Just pay attention to what you're doing so you can step back to the way your guitar was before.

Action changes string height, and moves your strings closer or further from your pickups, which affects your tone.
So it might b the action? does any1 have a step by step guide for begginners on how to adjust the action?
It's different depending on your bridge. What make and model is your guitar? What kind of bridge do you have?
Quote by AsianPirate
try a lighter gauge of strings. sometimes if the strings are just too heavy for the guitar, you won't be able to fix your intonation. what gauge do you have now?

I dont think this is the case coz I'm sing the set of strings that came with the guitar.
by the way how do I know the gauge of my strings?
Quote by Wasted Resource
It's different depending on your bridge. What make and model is your guitar? What kind of bridge do you have?

It's an sx guitar it looks like a gibson if you want I can post some pics....
anyway I already tried adjusting the string lenght and it didnt work so at this point I dont think i has anything to do with the bridge
The bridge generally has multiple adjustments. One allows you to change the length of the strings (a screw for each string). The other allows you to raise or lower your strings.

There are probably screws on either side of the bridge that will raise or lower the entire bridge.
you can buy an earvana nut.

you can flip the saddles around, point the edge away from the headstock and you'll get more wiggle room.

if u raise ur bridge, u'll raise ur action and create a small amount of room. the angle will change, and will give you more string length.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011

you loosen the screw at the top of each post. that loosens the thumb wheel (pointed to by red arrows). u turn the thumbwheel to lower the bridge on each side. then tighten the screws again.

too low and u get a little fret buzz, so then u put it back up a little.

logz pic
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

thank you very much I ll try it right away and tell you how it went.

PS: I could still use a guide on how to adjust the action in case I need it in the future or something
Quote by jj1565

you loosen the screw at the top of each post. that loosens the thumb wheel (pointed to by red arrows). u turn the thumbwheel to lower the bridge on each side. then tighten the screws again.

too low and u get a little fret buzz, so then u put it back up a little.

logz pic

sorry but I am not sure I have these so called thmb wheels or at least they are not so obvious as in the pic you posted.
I'll post a pic
Your guitar might need a trussrod adjustment! Get it profesionally set up.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
ok thx JJ and every1 who helped me I almost completly fixed it the guitar sounds a lot better now. still not 100% accurate (there's still a 4 or 5 cent difference between the open string and the 12th fret ) anyway I got the concept of how the bridge thing works. in my case it was about turning the screws to move the bridge.
thx every1 cya
excellent. ^ the picture was for gibson specifically.
a lot of times its the screws on the posts, like yours.

if u need a bit more room on one of the strings, you can also flip the saddle so it points the other way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^he already adjusted it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I tell you one thing... I just recently addjusted my bridge and my truss rod... and an intonation problem I've had similar to yours went right away. I did it all myself, and did no damage to the guitar (though the screw's are such ****ty metal that they striped at the lightest of touch... same thing the lo-trs II is made up of I bet! UGH, I hate soft metal... (not the genre`). Now I have perfect intonation... though I wish I could lower my bridge some more, but it just causes fret buzzing, even with lots of (VERY SLOWLY) turns of the trust rod (within reason of course).

So... if you can find a good set of instructions online, and are brave enough. Tinker with your guitar's set-up. Just make sure to do everything in EXTREAMLY SLOW manuvers, and EXCRUCIATINGLY SMALL moves. ESSPECIALLY with the truss rod..... like 1/8th sized movements or smaller there.

EDIT:

WOOPS, didn't read page 2...
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Sep 28, 2006,