Hey all, I've been looking into buying a nice Blues Overdrive pedal, and checked out the Boss Blues Driver. Heard a lot of good things about it and I really like the tone that comes from it. But what my question is: how does it work with solid state amps? I've heard a lot of different things, like it's better to use the pedal with a tube amp and that you won't really get a great sound of it with a SS. But what's the deal? Can someone clear this up for me? I realise tube amps can produce a lot better tone than SS, but does it really matter that much when you use the pedal on the SS?

Anywho, I'm rambling on, any help is granted.
I use an overdrive pedal on my Vox Valvetronix, but it's coupled with the amp's own high gain channel to just make the gain crazy. Pedals with SS amps definately aren't as good IMO as with tube amps, but it's not like they don't work on SS, because they do.
We're only strays.
For what I want, my pedal works wonders because like I said it's basicly just adding on more gain, which doesn't exactly mean it's pure or high quality sounding, know what I mean? If you had like a basic SS amp, not modelling or hybrid, and you want to run a pedal (like a Blues Driver) into it the clean channel, the results are probably going to be atleast a little disappointing. I don't really know personally because I've never tried it, but I don't think it'd sound the greatest. Useable, but far from the "real thing." You should just get an Epiphone Valve Jr, that will take pedals great.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
For what I want, my pedal works wonders because like I said it's basicly just adding on more gain, which doesn't exactly mean it's pure or high quality sounding, know what I mean? If you had like a basic SS amp, not modelling or hybrid, and you want to run a pedal (like a Blues Driver) into it the clean channel, the results are probably going to be atleast a little disappointing. I don't really know personally because I've never tried it, but I don't think it'd sound the greatest. Useable, but far from the "real thing." You should just get an Epiphone Valve Jr, that will take pedals great.

Great, thanks for the help man, I appreciate it.