Does anybody know what scales are used in horror movies to build tension? That always sounds really cool
Diminished scales.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Yeah, chromatics, and tritones.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
we actually looked at something like this in my theory class yesterday. one guy use chromaticism and changing meters for his horrorish movie sequence. the other guy used minor scales and a constand 5/4 meter for his. both used pitches external to the main modes they were using at times, and both actually used anvils as percussion. also important in both was the rhythm. people always ask for scales and overlook rhythm. what you need to do is listen to a few different things that have the effect you like and figure out what kind of rhythms they use. that will help you more than just finding out a scale.
Another popular way to build tension in horror movies is to play the main melodic line in different keys starting at different times. This creates quite a dissonance, and sounds really spooky as well.
Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor, Phrygian, and the chromatic scale. Nothing that hasn't been said I'm sure....
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
^ well basicly the two things we looked at used notes outside of the diatonic key in the underlying chords. for example, if you are in Am you have all natural notes. that means playing something like Fm instead of F. The F chord normally has the notes F A and C. F minor has F Ab and C. this is the example from the thing we used in class:

it was in the key of Am and the chords go Am Fm Am. that Fm gives the dark feeling that the composer wanted. of course thats not the only thing playing at the time so there is more going on, but it provides a nice base to start on.
There's also a scale that's used in a lot of jazz, but sounds quite horror-ish or unreal. It's that sort of sound they use in dream sequences in movies. If anybody knows more, feel free to expand.
^ The whole-tone scale? That's the one I think of for dream sequences.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
The easiest way to remember diminished, as my music theory teacher told us, was this...

"you know that movie, where the guy ties the girl to the railroad track, and then he twirls his mustache.... yeah... thats a diminished scale.."

lmao
Locrian, Diminished, Melodic and Harmonic minor, locrian with a #6
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!