Im looking to get a new bass..either the Ibanez Sr 505 or Fender Mexico Jazz V, however im not sure about active pickups. On guitar they make the sound less organic-or natural you might say. I heard some guys here say they give you more tonal options etc but can i not just get the same results from an external EQ or an enhancer/limiter pedal?

Also typically how long til the battery goes?..
I have a Schecter Stiletto Elite-4, which has passive pickups with active electronics. I'm not sure what the two basses you mentioned have, but if they have active pickups as well, here will be some difference from what I have. So far as sound goes, I've yet to play a bass that I thought sounded better. As far as the onboards EQ, its helpful for making small adjustments in the middle of a song (I do this every now and then if something doesn't sound quite right, like maybe my amp EQ got tweaked). You could do the same with an EQ pedal, I jst find it handy to be able to do it on the bass itself. With the battery, mine last about 3-4 months with daily practicing, and a 2 1/2 hour band rehersal twice a week, so they go a long way. You just make sure you always have a spare with you. You can really tell when the battery is going, so you want to be able to change it asap.

So yeah, try it out, see if the sound is what you want. Thats the most important thing you can do when considering a purchase of any bass/amp/effect/etc. When it comes to sound, only your opinion matters. We can help with other questions, but the sound is up to you.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
I have a Schecter Stiletto Elite-4, which has passive pickups with active electronics. I'm not sure what the two basses you mentioned have, but if they have active pickups as well, here will be some difference from what I have. So far as sound goes, I've yet to play a bass that I thought sounded better. As far as the onboards EQ, its helpful for making small adjustments in the middle of a song (I do this every now and then if something doesn't sound quite right, like maybe my amp EQ got tweaked). You could do the same with an EQ pedal, I jst find it handy to be able to do it on the bass itself. With the battery, mine last about 3-4 months with daily practicing, and a 2 1/2 hour band rehersal twice a week, so they go a long way. You just make sure you always have a spare with you. You can really tell when the battery is going, so you want to be able to change it asap.

So yeah, try it out, see if the sound is what you want. Thats the most important thing you can do when considering a purchase of any bass/amp/effect/etc. When it comes to sound, only your opinion matters. We can help with other questions, but the sound is up to you.

So far as sound goes, I've yet to play a bass that I thought sounded better

Im not sure if you answered my question-also the last paragraph was pretty elementary-been playing music for over 15 years mate-just bass a few years
sound is completely a personal choice. it could sound amazing to someone but **** to everyone else and vice versa. i generally prefer active basses, the little tonal changes you can make in a quick pause more than makes up for 'pure tone' (which again is personal preference)
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Im surprized that it wasnt mentioned in the previous posts but, if your interested or already playing slap bass, your better off with an active bass...

And from experince you can usually tell when you battery is going to die when using active pickups.... Your tone levels start fading and your sustain of notes drops off a bit aswell...
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet
Quote by Mahavishnu80
Im not sure if you answered my question-also the last paragraph was pretty elementary-been playing music for over 15 years mate-just bass a few years

I just always throw that in given the sheer number of people who come on here asking questions who would buy a hello kitty squire if enough people said it was the best thing ever made

And loking back on it, I think I only really answered the battery part, so yeah, score 1 for you.

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by hexagram244
And from experince you can usually tell when you battery is going to die when using active pickups.... Your tone levels start fading and your sustain of notes drops off a bit aswell...

or you could be uber cool like me and have a little light that tells you if your battery is working

i like my passive bass for "pretty" things, and i like it for jazz too, its a more classic tone. i use my active bass for pretty much everything else. i have a bass with passive pickups and active circuity as well, and im really not sure what this does actually.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
i have MEC ones on my warwick (active) and they are the best pickups i have ever heard
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Fett13
I just always throw that in given the sheer number of people who come on here asking questions who would buy a hello kitty squire if enough people said it was the best thing ever made

And loking back on it, I think I only really answered the battery part, so yeah, score 1 for you.

Cool thx for everyones comments
Honestly, can we get a sticky on this subject? Most "active" basses do not have active pickups. They have an active pre-amp that lets you shape your tone easier without traveling all the way across a stage to your amp. The basses that do have active pickups, have less coil windings, and a 9v electric current to power them. The advantage of active pickups is that they are naturally more compressed making them very useful in the studio. Batteries last a long time, if you buy good ones. There's a pretty simple answer.
^No, it has an active and passive equalizer. The pickups are passive. SR500's are passive pickups (don't quote me on that, because I'm not sure) but they have an active eq.
Quote by Fett13

C'mon man, lay off, that was a joke.
active on guitar dosen't sound as good as active on bass IMO.

my active MEC's on my warwick own i reckon there 2x as good as the ones on my jazz.

but its up to you try both basses out and see whats good for you.

( the ibanez dosen't sound as good imo but don't judge active pups beacuse of that, beacuse you can get basses with ****ing awesome active pups or ones with really crap active pups)
Member #12 of the Can't we forget about punk, emo, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK? group. pm rockon1824 to join

Quote by Taoistic_Beer

HEY GUYS, DANI CALIFORNIA ON MAX VOLUME, 100 % CLEAN. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Mongoose87
C'mon man, lay off, that was a joke.

either way I stand by my comment. Hell, I've been tempted to put it in my sig so I can just "*points to sig*" and be done with it in any thread. But still, no hard feelings either way. Come to think of it, we should try talk some newb into buying a Hello Kitty squire just for the hell of it some day. That could prove to be quite hilarious.

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
Come to think of it, we should try talk some newb into buying a Hello Kitty squire just for the hell of it some day. That could prove to be quite hilarious.

Nah, a Daisy Rock bass.... the ONLY guitar brand that caters for one gender.... sexist bastards...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nah, a Daisy Rock bass.... the ONLY guitar brand that caters for one gender.... sexist bastards...

There was one other brand, but they modeled their guitars to better fit the shape of a woman's body. Daisy Rock just makes girly-looking guitars.