I'm thinking about changing string sizes, but I've read on here that it can sometimes screw up your neck. Right now I'm using .9s and was thinking of changing to .10s or .11s for the heavier sound. Would I have to adjust my truss rod or anything?
no, just your intonation, and if you have a tremolo bridge youll need to tighten your springs.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
should be easy, what type of guitar do you have?

you can google it "guitar name + intonation" or you could look in a sticky here. . .

If your to lazy for those just reply and ill walk you through it.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~

SETTING INTONATION:
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well I changed from 10s to 9s and now my strings all buzz alot. anyway to get rid of this problem?
"And you will never hear surf music again..."
Quote by big-red
Well I changed from 10s to 9s and now my strings all buzz alot. anyway to get rid of this problem?
Yes. Be a man and get 12-gauge Boomers like I have.

But seriously...why would you use 9's? They'll go out of tune quicker.
Sounds pretty easy. I just looked at my guitar and the screws are on the bottom of the saddle (away from the neck). How are you supposed to fit a screwdriver in there?

EDIT: I started out with 9s and just never really thought about it until now. What size would be best for getting chunky metal riffs a la Slayer while at the same time being able to solo well?
Last edited by KirkHammett2005 at Sep 27, 2006,
big-red: you can raise the strings. what type of guitar.

threadstarter, u need a tiny screwdriver.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 27, 2006,
Quote by <><
Yes. Be a man and get 12-gauge Boomers like I have.

But seriously...why would you use 9's? They'll go out of tune quicker.

I always used 9s, just once I switched to 10s. I use 9s because I do alot of bending and such..i just find it eaisier to play with them.

So i just raise my strings? by how much? I have a strat
"And you will never hear surf music again..."
^yeah use a tiny allen wrench to raise each string.

phil's pic.

kirk, i think a small screwdriver should fit
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

im not sure.
if ur gonna go for it, then maybe 11's. tens dont feel that heavy to me.
i dont think it will change the neck bend too much.
the action might feel a little high tho.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

10's are pretty standard for shredding, you could go to 11's and it would get an even heavier tone, but bends would be a lot harder. When I switched from 9's to 10's it took maybe a month or two to really get used to bending with that extra resistance. If you want 11's it's up to you, but if you bend a lot and you're jumping from 9's directly to 11's then it's gonna be a pretty good shock methinks.