Page 1 of 2
still on an amp debate and from what i have heard, the Peavey Valve King 112 is a good price for an all tube amp. what i wanted to know is how bad would it sound at low volumes, say around bedroom volume (hope you know what i mean)

is it as good as people say?
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
It will sound good, but not as good as it would sound when cranked.

Why not get a lower wattage amp?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
is there a lower wattage one (all tube) around the same price perhaps?

thing is if i can get better tone for just a little bit more, why not get it (tone i mean tube over ss)
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
what's your budget, and where are you (the peavey is more expensive, comparitively, in say the UK, than the USA)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
People blow the whole 'tube amps sound crappy at low volumes' thing way out of proportion, IMO.
^ aye. they don't normally sound "crap" at low volume. they just sound better at high volume.

that being said, once you've cranked one, there's a good chance you'll want to be able to continue cranking it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
which is why me and my dad built a room seperate from the house where we can crank it and play as loud as we want whenever we want!
the maximum is 400 dollars usa. i have a good enough guitar its just im needing a good amp. the thing is also im hoping to buy an amp that will last me a long time including being able to play with other people (drums etc.)
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
^ ah, there's your problem...

the traynor ycv20 is quite nice, but I dunno about drums... it's only 15 watts... it might do it.

i guess your best bet is something around 30 watts- you'll be able to crank it a bit at home, and it should be loud enough to get over drums. as long as you don't need totally pristine cleans.

how much does a peavey classic 30 go for over there?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Around £400 in the uk.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
^ aye, but in the states, it's quite a bit less, I'd have thought...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Yeah a little cheaper. In the US you can pick one up for $570 off music123 ...
$570 == £300
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
hard to find a price but its around 550ish. keep in mind i want to be able to play rock and metal stuff as well as have at least some room for varience. if not ill just buy some pedals

EDIT- guy above me seems to have it right. the price tho is WAY to much for me.
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Last edited by lanzaa at Sep 27, 2006,
lanzaa

Compared to what you are currently planning you will be exteremly happy once you get the Peavey Vk112. It is the best bang for the buck bar none. Sounds good at any volume too. I run my Shecter Damien through it and I was blown away compared to my old 60W Crate SS amp. It's good for ACDC, Sabbath, Rush, etc. I had a 10% off coupon from MF and picked it up for $360. Don't take my word for it, go audition it at Guitar center.
aight thx for the response
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Quote by StuC
^ Yeah a little cheaper. In the US you can pick one up for $570 off music123 ...
$570 == £300

ah, ok, I thought maybe you could pic one up for $400, guess I was wrong...

Quote by rich_r31
lanzaa

Compared to what you are currently planning you will be exteremly happy once you get the Peavey Vk112. It is the best bang for the buck bar none. Sounds good at any volume too. I run my Shecter Damien through it and I was blown away compared to my old 60W Crate SS amp. It's good for ACDC, Sabbath, Rush, etc. I had a 10% off coupon from MF and picked it up for $360. Don't take my word for it, go audition it at Guitar center.

in the UK, though, the laney vc30 and matamp minimat would be better value...

but in the threadstarter's case, yeah, I figure the VK is probably his best bet.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
People blow the whole 'tube amps sound crappy at low volumes' thing way out of proportion, IMO.

+1

because why do you need prime tone at bedroom levels anyway?
To the Peavey Classic discussion, the threadstarter could probably afford a used Peavey Classic 30.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Gutch220
+1

because why do you need prime tone at bedroom levels anyway?

er, i dunno, sherlock, maybe because it encourages you to play? I know in those dark few months when I'd tried all those boutique high gain amps, but still only had my marshall avt, I could barely force myself to play...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ instead of it being 10/10, it will be 8 or 9/10................not 2/10. The difference between hi and low volumes in tube amps isn't enough to discourage somebody from playing/owning it IMO.
^ true, i should have mentioned that my previous amp was total crap...

it depends on the tone you're after too. i mean, if you're after a totally pristine clean tone, it'll probably sound better quiet...

and a lot of amps don't have enough grunt for metal (or even hard rock) unless they're on 10....

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sometimes I even prefer a SS amp when I want that tight fuzzy mid-scooped super saturated distortion.
how loud is it when its "good"?
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
^ You probally havent been reading correctly, and I always say this when someone asks a question like that ... Just because the amp's volume is set low doesnt mean it'll sound crap, it'll sound good but not as good as when its cranked - Read gutch's posts again because I cant be bothered to explain again.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
i read correctly on how theres basicially no real change thats the reason i put good in quotations

"but not as good as when its cranked"

what i meant is how loud is that

max volume or what?
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
not MAX VOLUME. Anything above about 4 or 5 on the master volume is about where it gets that 'pushed' sound, with both speakers and tubes. At least on all the amps Ive played on anyways....
^ It'll be different for every amp, but usually the louder it is the better it is. If your running it loud enough for a gig - that should be cranked. It wont be often that you get to set the volume up to 10 IMO - especially if your at home and/or you have a jumpy volume control like on the marshall jcm.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by Gutch220
sometimes I even prefer a SS amp when I want that tight fuzzy mid-scooped super saturated distortion.

crap tone, you mean? yeah, i choose a solid state when I want crap tone too...

Quote by lanzaa
how loud is it when its "good"?

depends on the amp. if it's a low-wattage amp, not all THAT loud (still louder than bedroom)- you could take it without earplugs, though.

^ kurdt: again, it depends on the amp.

basically:

depending on the amp, the power amp (i.e. where it starts to sound "good") tends to come into it once the volume control is around 4-7. it starts off as a bit more compression to the tone, and then turns into overdrive, and finally (depending on the amp) full-blown power tube distortion. It's not really a modern-metal style distortion, but, again, depending on the amp, it's normally enough for classic rock, at least.

And it sounds a little different to pre-amp distortion (the distortion you get at low volumes)- and you can combine them to get really heavy tones.

it's kind of one of those things that you just plain have to try to know what we're talking about...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what type of sounds is the valveking mainly used for?

i want to do rock and metal stuff (sorry if thats too general). if it doesnt do what i want it to do i can pimp it out with pedals right?
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
^^Yes, you could "pimp it out with pedals." If you want to play super heavy distorted metal, you may want to quickly "pimp it out" with an OD.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
but would i have to pimp it out?
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
use context clues
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
^^To be honest, im not sure how heavy the VK can get. Your best bet will be to try the amp out, and see if it can get as heavy as you need, b/c no one really knows how much distortion you need but you.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
touche tnfootballfan62, touche
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
^ it should do hard rock ok, and even 80's metal. not much heavier without a boost pedal, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok i shall try it out tommorow. any ideas on what pedals would be good? (when i say metal think slipknotish)
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
If you want extra saturation while using your amp's disortion then a Boss SD1. Mick thompson also uses an MXR Jimi hendrix octave fuzz for Duality.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
^^ it depends on your budget- but assuming that that budget is pretty cheap (since you're going for the valveking), i'd say either a boss sd1 or digitech bad monkey would be worth a try- use it to boost the overdrive channel.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
these things cost like 40bucks... either they are uber good with just a cheap price or pretty crappy... so which is it?

or just about right...

oh and which is these 2 is "heavier"?

(btw thanks a ton guys for all the input)
Gear
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
^ well, they won't compete with the boutique high-bucks OD's, but they're alright.

i haven't tried the bad monkey- thing is, the pedal doesn't need all that much gain- you're just using it as a slight boost to boost the overdrive that the amp already has into metal territory (and tighten it up, too).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2