As some of you know, I'm getting a JCM900 SL-X and as I understand it, it's two channels with one gain knob. Would using a volume pedal give me cleans or just less gain?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Once you actually get the amp, you'll notice that your playing dynamics and guitar volume will affect how much the amp distorts. A volume pedal could take you between clean and distorted, but that depends on where you have the amp set and how clean and how distorted you want the tones to be. When you get the amp, experiment with your guitar volume and switching between channels to see how it all works, then decide if you need a volume pedal.

P.S. I think there's only one gain knob because the clean channel doesn't need one- it's clean. Once you get your amp it will become obvious what you need.
ive heard that a lot of volume pedals take from your tone and gain but i dont have any experience with them
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Thanks, Roc. I'm just trying to prepare for getting this amp. I already planned on getting a volume pedal so I could just kill my signal instead of rendering my neck pup useless and using it as a killswitch. Anyhow, I'm pretty much blowing all my money on my rig for the next few months.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Yes, a volume pedal is a good thing to have in the first place, so you might as well get one right away if you have the cash. Make sure to post a thread w/all your new toys once you get them!
Well, thus far, I'm planning on buying the following:
- Line 6 FM-4
- Boss PH-3
- Boss DD-6
- Morely Little Alligator Volume Pedal
- EHX Small Clone Chorus
- Digitech Whammy
- ISP Noise Decimator
- Boss TU-2 Tuner
- Boss EQ-20
- EHX Pulsar Tremolo
- Boss BF-3 Flanger

That's tennative for now. I also own a DL-4 and OD-20 as of right now that I plan on integrating into my rig. I'm probably gonna narrow down my rig between now and then for the sake of saving money and putting it towards a new guitar and possibly a pedalboard.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Thats gunna cost you a lot of money.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
That seems like a pointless amount of pedals to get, you shouldn't get the ISP until you've played the amp for a while and realised there's a noise problem, and you don't need a DD6 if you've got a DL4 now (a lot better)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I'm getting the DD-6 for oscillation. I'm going to use that to loop and then use my DL-4 and FM-4 to oscillate.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2