Slayer
51 27%
Anthrax
4 2%
Other(plz specify in post)
17 9%
Voters: 189.
Page 1 of 4
Which Artist is the most influential of all time towards the genre of thrash metal? Is it one of the big four? i.e metallica, megadeath, slayer or anthrax. or is it one of the new thrashy bands.. e.g trivium(to an extent) etc etc.

Soz if this is the wrong forum but metal told me no sub genres only 'metal' whatever the hell that is.
hmm..but metallica pussied out a bit.. after the black album they went mainstream.. they didnt have to survive.. the others are still around and they didn't.. surely that had some detrimental effect on thrash??
its oook.. i admit its thrashy but dosent really have the brutalness.. its just someone trying to break their guitar by playing a few chords. no offence.. its just how i feel
Metallica is probably the most influential, but not the best. I think my favorite is going to be Iced Earth(mostly older stuff).
As much as I'd enjoy saying Metallica, Municipal Waste or Exodus.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Slayer, they've influenced most death metal. Who is Megadeath?
The Haunted fan club #1 (PM me to join)
Amon Amarth fan club #3
Member #3 of the METAL MISSIONARIES club
Member #8 of the anti CoF club
#10 MEMBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB
Id probably say Slayer, but I voted other for Testament and Kreator. And while Im not sure how influential Municipal Waste is seeing as their relatively new, but they certainly do kick ass. Terror Shark is one catchy tune.
Member #2 of the "Eggnog > Humanity" club
^^Pm Scourge441 to join

PM MackDaddy or RhinosaurBones to join the Mortal Kombat Klub. That's right, Klub with a K.

Quote by happytimeharry
wow, is that backgammon? Now that's what I call fore play...
Most of the early 80's crossover bands influenced thrash as a whole a lot more than the big four thrash bands.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Quote by grimreaper65
Slayer. They basicly influenced every early death metal band ever.

Which Artist is the most influential of all time towards the genre of thrash metal? Is it one of the big four?

I'd say Metallica, seeing as how they were one of the firsts on the scene period,
but I enjoy Megadeth and Kreator more.
I'm gonna say Metallica just because I think they were able to bring it to masses a little more than other the other bands.

Just out of curiousity though, who is credited as the first thrash band? Is it Metallica?
Quote by shonkathonk
who are municipal waste i have never heard of them?

They're a band that copied DRI. Not really too influential, but a good band.

It depends on which "thrash" you're talking about. If you're talking about Power of Idea and bands like that, then DRI probably. If you're talking more metallish thrash then slayer maybe.
Slayer cause they brought more gorish imagery into metal and they heavily influenced death metal.
Wow, I can't believe DRI has only been mentioned by me in this thread. They were really the first to mix thrash and hardcore punk to the point they did it to. I don't know why everyone is saying Municipal Waste, they're good, but they're basically DRI with a slight change.
Quote by hardrock1315
Wow, I can't believe DRI has only been mentioned by me in this thread. They were really the first to mix thrash and hardcore punk to the point they did it to. I don't know why everyone is saying Municipal Waste, they're good, but they're basically DRI with a slight change.

Plus the fact that they're fairly underground, and that they're fairly new.

Great band though.
Quote by grimreaper65
Plus the fact that they're fairly underground, and that they're fairly new.

Great band though.

Well if you call a band that's been around for nearly 25 years "new"...
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Quote by larry jones
thats a joke right
just checking

Duh!! Of course I know Megadeth, but Megadeath....
The Haunted fan club #1 (PM me to join)
Amon Amarth fan club #3
Member #3 of the METAL MISSIONARIES club
Member #8 of the anti CoF club
#10 MEMBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB
Quote by -BobboHead-
I'm gonna say Metallica just because I think they were able to bring it to masses a little more than other the other bands.

Just out of curiousity though, who is credited as the first thrash band? Is it Metallica?
I think it might be Holy Moses.

I wouldn't swear to that answer though.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by shonkathonk
but what??

Compare these two and then figure it out for yourself:
Megadeth
Megadeath.

See the difference? Huh? Huh? Well? Do ya?

Didn't think so.
Most influential: Metallica.

Reason: How many of you picked up guitar after you got into Metallica?

Then again, some of you might have picked up guitar because of Slayer, either way, I don't care.

Metallica just opened up the genre to the world, while Slayer inspired a genre (and as this is purely a thrash thread, ill ignore **** like Venom etc.).

There's SO much more to be had from thrash than just those 4 bands but.. and mind you, none of those are strictly thrash.

You're a douche by the way if you think Municipal Waste are an example of a pure thrash band, they're far more hardcore. (They still make my head bang, but).
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Examples of real thrash:

Evil Dead
Vio-Lence
Razor
Destruction

Check out those bands for now kiddies.
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Here's some more recs:

Temple of the Absurd
Alpha Thanatos
Tankard
Antimon
Nocturnal
Sodom

Basically, German thrash > all other thrash
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous