Right, new project for in restoring an old bass my mate had in bits lying in his garage. [It was like that when he got it.]

As you can see it's pretty beat up, and in need of new electric after someone deceided to take wire cutters to the wiring. Anyway, my first question is if anybody can recommend a way of adding an arm contour to the body besides using a band saw then hand sanding. It's not that I don't like the idea of that method, I'm just checking to see what I could do to see if I would prefer others.

Next thing, as I've never tried any bass modification before, is if someone could either recommend some budget pickups or recommend somewhere to buy said budget pickups. I'm not looking for anything amazing for this, it's just a building project for fun that I hopefully might end up with a playable instrument with.

The best way to add a contour would be to use a spokeshave, its like a normal plainer but rounded, but they are fairly difficult to use.
A dremel tool would do it as well, but again, there's difficulty in getting consistancy and evenness and you'd probably have to do a fair bit of hand sanding at that point... As mentioned, spokeshave would work, a heavy rasp file would work, then switch to something finer, a wood rasp can take off a suprising amount of material in a hurry. Some orbital sanders would possibly work as well, but it'd be slower than trying to dig to china with a teaspoon.
You could use a variety of tools, things like a flat spokeshave, surforms, rasps and a sanding block could be used. Use what ever you have on hand and what seems to work for you.
Check out Pure Tone pickups. Ridiculously good for the price they are!
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
get that neck cleaned up and the fingerboard back on, and a nice bridge. as for pickups, theres so many to choose from, but Seymour Duncans are a good bet

and i wouldnt try using a dremel for an arm contour. you'd be there all year, and end up with the top looking like a mountainside
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Well actually, I'm thinking of a new neck/fretboard, as what the pictures don't show is that theres a small 1/2cm chip out the underside of the fretboard right on the edge, so there'd be a hole in the side of the neck after reattaching it.

Oh, and ofcourse it needs refretted, and theres marks in the fretboard from where someone used wood filler after NAILING it onto the neck.

But hey, when my mate first got it, it was held on with paper mache and blu-tack.
Quote by Baconfish
Well actually, I'm thinking of a new neck/fretboard, as what the pictures don't show is that theres a small 1/2cm chip out the underside of the fretboard right on the edge, so there'd be a hole in the side of the neck after reattaching it.

Oh, and ofcourse it needs refretted, and theres marks in the fretboard from where someone used wood filler after NAILING it onto the neck.

But hey, when my mate first got it, it was held on with paper mache and blu-tack.

You can fill the hole with sawdust and superglue -- it's fairly invisible after you sand and finish it.

But that neck and fretboard are super beat up, so I'd consider replacing it (it's more of a financial question than anything)
Well I'm trying to keep cost down, I just don't know of anywhere I can get a neck for cheap apart from ebay.