Hey, ive been thinking of buying a 12 string acoustic . I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with them. I have about $600 to spend (cnd). Ive been playin for a while and am not looking for a beginner guitar.
I really like the Seagull S12+ and the Alvarez AJ60S12. Those would be a good start.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I've got an epiphone 12 string and its great. I would highly advise buying a 12 string. They boost the sound on any acoustic song and sound great. Theres nothing to lose in getting a 12 string so i'd say go for it.
How many of you people know you're alive?
What about the Ibanez Concord 684-12 -73? Someone has been trying to sell it for 500? for a while now. Is the quality/sound anywhere near the Gibson Hummingbird?
I'm actually selling one of my 12 strings if you're looking. It's a Takamine EG523SC-12. It retails for 699.99 USD which is about 778 CAD. You can look it up at musicians friend here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EG523SC12-12String-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516303

Mine is that exact same model with the same new style pickup and EQ. I'm selling mine with a hard shell case for 500 USD, which is about 556 CAD. It's basically in mint condition. I only played it for a couple of months before I stumbled on an incredible deal on a Larrivee 12 string that I just couldn't pass up. The guitar has absolutely NO scratches, dents, cracks, belt rash, or any other blemishes. Other than light scratching on the pick gaurd from normal play, it is flawless. Here are some pictures of it:

The 12 string is the jumbo body guitar in the middle on the pictures of multiple guitars. It has a HUGE solid spruce soundboard with flamed maple back and sides. With the flamed maple and the inlays and such it's a really gorgeous instrument. Read the reviews of the guitar on musicians friend and ask around (I'm fairly certain there are others in this forum that have this guitar or have played this guitar), I gaurantee you that you will only hear good things about this guitar. As I said, I'm asking 500 USD for the guitar and the shipping would run about 20 or so USD. That would put the total at roughly 520 USD or 578 CAD... within your budget!!! I can assure you that you aren't going to find a better deal on a 700 USD guitar in this good of shape with a hard shell case included. PM me if you are interested.
im j/w
but what are the different strings on a 12 string and what are they tuned to in standard tuning?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3mBGODdzzVw

Quote by fenderfreak101

And by "Talk to girls," I mean "There once was this tootally cool girl on Xbox Live and we chatted about what level Wizardgammot we are in D & D"
They are tuned the same as a 6 string. You just have one extra string at each note. The second, thinner strings below the low E, A, D, and G strings are all tuned to the same note as the string above them, but an octave higher. The extra string below the B and high E strings are tuned to the exact same note.
^ A lot of the time, people will tune the a half-step or a step lower than standard to prevent neck warpage and other problems, as the 12-string have way more tension then 6-strings.

Gear:
oh ok
so the second E string would be the same as if i were holding the regular e string at the 12th fret
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3mBGODdzzVw

Quote by fenderfreak101

And by "Talk to girls," I mean "There once was this tootally cool girl on Xbox Live and we chatted about what level Wizardgammot we are in D & D"
that is correct.

and if people have a nice 12 string COUGH like the one i'm trying to sell in the Gear Ads Forum COUGH then you don't have to worry so much about it roam

[/self promotion]
Whats the purpose of a 12-string? I know its a noob question but ive never played one and never really payed attention to any. So how do you play them, like say if im doing on the A string 5th fret do you hit both of the strings for A? lol confusing but help please.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
you can if you want, or you can just hit one.... depending on how good you are.

and the purpose of the 12 string is to be effin beautiful sounding.
Im still confused. any one have a clear video of someone playing one? where I can understand better?
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
check out http://www.youtube.com

there's videos of basically everything on there. what are you confused about? most of the time, yes you would fret both of the A strings on the 5th fret if you are trying to play a D. when i said you can if you want or you can hit just one, i meant that more advanced players will pick and choose which strings to pick depending on which octave they want.
Jim, unfortunately, I know something about when you bought your guitar. Not that I would blow up your spot here in the forum or anything...LOL

EDIT: On second thought, you're throwing in the case....I'll think about it and let you know.

Gear:
Jim, you should try taking pictures outside in the sunlight without a flash. Not that there was anything wrong with those, but I bet the natural light would bring out the best in those beauties.
roam... what do you mean you know something about when I bought my guitar? i bought it april 12th of this year.

EDIT: haha, are you saying that you know how much i originally paid for it? i remember that we pm'd back and forth about possibly getting you one from my local shop because they had an AMAZING deal on these guitars. regardless of how good of a deal i got on it though, that doesn't make the guitar any less valuable.

chips... yeah i know i need to take better pictures but i'm having trouble locating the chord that connects my camera to my computer! hopefully i'll find it in the next two days. those pictures are just older ones that i already had on my computer.
Last edited by jimtaka at Sep 28, 2006,