alright gang, dont fail me now. ive never done this before and dont exactly know how to go about doing it, and i dont have a guitar with a whammy bridge that i could open up and look at and use as an example. so i drew a picture on photoshop to try and explain things easier, so you can use this http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n181/jholetns/whammybridgeoperation.jpg as a reference to all my questions..

first of all, my understanding is that the strings pull against the bridge, so the springs underneath are needed to counterbalance this force. also the springs must be stronger than the strings so that it can pull the bridge back to its original position when youre done whammy-ing it. so my questions are these:

1. should the long skinny metal part of the bridge be flush against the inside of the body, so that the springs at full pressure dont pull it back too far? and so the springs pull it back to the exact same place every time?

2. how much room should i allow behind it so the long skinny part doesnt hit it while whammy-ing?

3. how stretched should the springs be? like super stretched or barely stretched? or somewhere in the middle? or does it really even matter, as long as there is resistance?

i guess thats all i got right now... after i fully understand what i need to do, i'll go about measuring and routing and all that stuff. and i'll ask if any other questions arise.. cant think of anything else at the moment.... thanks ahead of time

-justin
no? no one? even if someone with a whammy bridge like this could just open up their back plate and tell me what they saw.. i think its a strat style whammy bridge, one of you with a strat maybe?
umm... Just find some schematics for a strat trem cavity. Look for pix on google or something.
yea i already tried that and didnt have much luck... the closest thing i found was like, a description of the routing templates on stewmac but the actual templates themselves were like 15 bucks. i was just hoping a much knowledgable person could explain it to me in an easy to understand way
1. it should not be flat against the body theres like a 5mm space between the bridge and body, 2. i have no idea about the exact measurements 3. they have to mid streched , to tight and the trem will be locked down , too loose and trem wont work , get some prefessional advice from a local music shop
why would you put a strat trem in a tele? If you want a trem I would think a bibgsby would be a WAY better idea. Just my opinion.
Quote by livrockdie
why would you put a strat trem in a tele? If you want a trem I would think a bibgsby would be a WAY better idea. Just my opinion.

I agree. Bigsby's pwn!
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Bigsby +1
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I always thought Bigsby were used because Strat style tremolo system doesn't actually "work" on a Tele for what reasons I don't know.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
not a pricey as having to buy a new guitar because you effed it up. Ya, thats right I said effed. I'm cool like that. Plus I'm bored. But dont route out the guitar.

btw, is it a fender tele or a copy? Just wondering.
Quote by livrockdie
not a pricey as having to buy a new guitar because you effed it up. Ya, thats right I said effed. I'm cool like that. Plus I'm bored. But dont route out the guitar.

btw, is it a fender tele or a copy? Just wondering.

Go with a bigsby..... it won't be permenant if you don't like it.
its just a project im building myself from scratch in the shape of a tele. so i guess it would be considered a copy? theres no real loss if i eff it up cuz im just doing it for fun anyways, to see if i can. its my first project, and i guess you could say i've already effed it up in so many ways that it cant really go much more wrong. so... nothing to lose. i mean if i'm successful with this, and with fixing some other things, i'll have a guitar which is playable but nothing to brag about. thanks for the help guys
Quote by jhole
nothing to lose.

Great album.

I reckon you should choose a more attractive trem to put in there. Bigsby's CAN look nice. Give it a crack.
ok so i have a brand new question real quick... can the ground wire be attached to the metal block of the whammy bridge? i read it should be connected to the little spring claw thing.. but my wires not long enough... so is that fat metal block okay? or not? i could always just solder a wire to the ground wire to make it bigger... but thatd be a hassle..
It will be easier to get the solder to stick to the claw. the wire may brake if you solder it to the block when you use the trem. Electronically it would work, it's just whether it's practical.
Just use a longer piece of wire.
I think u should put a bigsby on since there is not point in having a telecaster with a strat trem on it becuse the main source of the tele's tone is it's bridge, u will just ruin it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
...Stetsbar FTW.
http://www.stetsbar.com
Though, they are pricey.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.