hey,

i know as a general rule that cleans with emg's are sub-par, but how about with the 85 as a neck pickup? i hear that an 85 in the neck does cleans pretty well....

also, though i know emg's are basically THE metal pup, i hear they sound "sterile", as opposed to duncans or other passives, which have more 'feel'. can somebody explain this to me?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Quote by aequitasveritas
hey,

i know as a general rule that cleans with emg's are sub-par, but how about with the 85 as a neck pickup? i hear that an 85 in the neck does cleans pretty well....

also, though i know emg's are basically THE metal pup, i hear they sound "sterile", as opposed to duncans or other passives, which have more 'feel'. can somebody explain this to me?

The cleans on the neck 85 aren't too too bad, nothing to be proud of or amazed about.

And for the feel of EMGs... you just have to play them. I hate them with a passion. They are so electronic, powerful, yes, but just so lifeless. It feels like the guitar isn't making the tone or the noise (and in the case of the EMGs, you are getting less tone from the body of the guitar). Plus passive pickups can have more power... lots more, but they aren't as feedback resistant and "clean" as the EMGs. However, for true real tone and great distortion, you have to have passives.
I haven't played a guitar with an 85 in it but I've played one with 81's and HZ's and I hate them. The cleans were horrible, but when you get EMG's you are sacrificing cleans for the simple sake of having the "metal tone" They don't have a feel. You have to just hear them yourself. I'd rather have passives than active pickups any day.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
<3 ceramic bar magnet pups
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I have an EMG 85 in the neck postition of my SG standard and and 81 in the bridge I think it sounds awesome. I'm running it with the PA2 EQ and i love it. I baked cookies- Passive pickups do NOT have more power whatsoever. Actives require a battery which boosts the signal therefore increasing the output and distortion. I admit however the tone is slightly more sterile, but EMG's for the most part are used with gain which adds a bit more life. I'm honestly not too fond of my 85. It sounds muddy at times with distortion. I however like the cleans on it much better than the clean of the 81. As I baked cookies said in which i agree with is the cleans aren't too bad, just nothing to be amazed about. I personally love my EMG's. They sound pretty nice in my SG through a peavey tube amp. But all I play is death metal and such.. Go to a guitar store and try out an LTD eclipse fitted with EMG pickups. Just to see if you can get a small touch of what to expect.. I'm sorry I baked cookies, i dont mean to be an ass I just disagree to a degree. It's just a preference

EDIT: **** HZ's though. They're passive. Does anyone like them? bahah

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Quote by Sendrith
<3 ceramic bar magnet pups

yeah ceramic pups kick the crap out of EMGs, (except for those stupid SD invaders those suck)

EMGs just sounjd like cold, lifeless, garbage, and dont even produce a metal tone that i like.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
lol...there not bad...better then some DD (not the real SD's) i have in a LTD F-100

but the 85's arnt bad at all..not amazing...but good enough
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
the 60 is an amazing clean pick up and i will put it up against any duncan 81/60 is a great combo and i havent played duncans, or dimarzios that have beat it yet
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
whew.....well this came as a bit of a surprise to me as to how many people dont like emg's, but its understandable if there's no feel to them.

btw, think11270, i know for a fact that there are multiple pickups out there that have higher output than actives.....even if the battery does boost the signal, that's just the electronic part of it and thats just math. take for instance the kent armstrong motherbucker, which one of my friends has in his guitar- it ripped my face off when i tried it. (it's two single coil-sized humbuckers placed together, so you can wire it for a total of 27.5kohm DC)

but that aside, i'm not sure whether i'm going for more of the tone factor of the guitar, or the "feel" of it....because i guess if im just concerned with tone i could go with emgs?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
the cleans on the 85 aren't great... and by that I mean "poor".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
when i was wondering which EMG's should install to my guitar i searched a lot so here is the thing. 60 neck good cleans with good bass freq. 81 bridge metall sound not so bassy good for solos. 85 bridge really metal sound lots of bass but not better than 81 for solos.if u want to have a neck pickup for cleans i suggest 60 but if u want it for distortion rythm playing at your band 85 is the best. about the bridge 81 and 85 are very very good(the 85 is a bit more bassy pickup) (if u want a real metal guitar with lots of gain and suddenly push the footswith and change the pickup swith to the neck and hear a blasting sound while playng the master of puppets then i dont suggest the 81/60 i say U MUST TAKE the 81/60)
END OF STORY post closed (kidding)

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
Quote by Dom5412
Why the hate for HZs?

Cause you can get so much better passive pickups.

They aren't THAT bad though.
Quote by freddy692000
when i was wondering which EMG's should install to my guitar i searched a lot so here is the thing. 60 neck good cleans with good bass freq. 81 bridge metall sound not so bassy good for solos. 85 bridge really metal sound lots of bass but not better than 81 for solos.if u want to have a neck pickup for cleans i suggest 60 but if u want it for distortion rythm playing at your band 85 is the best. about the bridge 81 and 85 are very very good(the 85 is a bit more bassy pickup) (if u want a real metal guitar with lots of gain and suddenly push the footswith and change the pickup swith to the neck and hear a blasting sound while playng the master of puppets then i dont suggest the 81/60 i say U MUST TAKE the 81/60)
END OF STORY post closed (kidding)

honestly, i think an 85 in the neck has the best solo sound. it just flows better and its not has hard on the ears. anyways, the cleans are actually pretty good on EMGs if you just screw around with your amp settings and find the sweet spot. i say go for an 81/85 set. and HZ's arent bad pickups, there are just better ones. Like from Duncan, the Full Shred and the Dimebucker are much better high output passive pickups.
Go get your shovel.
I've heard this so many times.

EMG's are so lifeless and sterile etc... Like c'mon, thats why you have the Low, Mid and High on your amp. Not to mention the pickups and tone knob(s).

To truely respect active EMG's you got to play them through a tube. You can't buy EMG's and expect it to sound like a Krankenstein.

Pickups do change your tone a lot. But its nothing compared to how much your amp changes your tone.
IMO, you can get much better metal pups then EMGs. Bareknuckle, Seymour Duncan, Swinehead, Dimarzio, etc
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
85's arent too bad, but the 60's are better
Quote by unplugtheradio

i dub thee, Knight of Asskickery.

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
Quote by pigeonkicker
85's arent too bad, but the 60's are better

not for everything...85's arfe better for distortion leads...or bluesy leads....and a good clean bridge pup..(but bad for a distortion)

the 60 owns at cleans though

but you cant just say that the 60 is better for everything

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
i guess that was quite redundant then no?...lol

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
numbfinger i beg to differ imo besides a metal soloing tone the 60 is far superior to the 85. It has much better cleans, its tone for rhythm playing is much better, and i think it handles bluesy type leads much better.

But its all preferece so to each his own
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by numbfinger
not for everything...85's arfe better for distortion leads...or bluesy leads....and a good clean bridge pup..(but bad for a distortion)

the 60 owns at cleans though

but you cant just say that the 60 is better for everything

85 isnt a bad bridge pickup. sometimes the 85 actually outperforms the 81.
Go get your shovel.